Holy Crap! I think I might vote Republican!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by StarbucksSam, Apr 26, 2008.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I would like to preface this with saying that I respect [most] everyone's [intelligently articulated and thought out] views and I hope mine will be respected as well.

I have long considered myself a Liberal Democrat, but have found myself becoming more moderate in the last ... few years. I registered as a Dem when I turned 18, and don't necessarily intend to change that as I have no real reason to ... but it hit me just recently - I'm a swing voter in a swing state! (Pennsylvania)

When considering the candidate I am going to vote for in November, I'm thinking about a lot of things. I'm thinking about the economy - how it needs a revival, and how taxing the rich to death is not fair in my book ... I'm thinking about social issues - a woman's right to choose, same-sex marriage ... I'm thinking about public health issues - health care, the ridiculousness that is abstinence only sex education, the AIDS crisis ... I'm thinking about our foreign policy - improving our image with the rest of the world (sorry, I realize I shouldn't use "our as not everyone on this site lives in the U.S.), the mess in Iraq. I'm not thinking about oil prices. The fact is that until it hits $6 a gallon, it's not really going to kill me. It will hurt, but I could survive it ... most Americans probably can't.

It's funny that NONE of these candidates feel the same way about the issues that I do.

Sen. John McCain's got it right on taxes and has a good plan for allowing illegal immigrants to become legal. He has it wrong on the war, and all wrong on the social issues.

Sen. Barack Obama has no idea how to run the country's economy ... but that's okay, because the President doesn't really actually do that anyway (according to my father) ... he's right on some of the social issues but I think for a black man who is running for President to say that the country isn't ready for gay marriage is kind of ... stunning. When he talked about the "antipathy" and the "clinging" to guns and religion - a lot of people got made and called him elitist. That's when I really considered voting for him - I feel the same way he does about small town America. And what Colbert said was SO true - "Which of our millionaire Senators is least elitist?" (may be paraphrased slightly)

Hillary Clinton has lost my trust. I saw who voted for her in the Pennsylvania primary - it's white, working class people. I'm not sure why she appeals to them - I think they just don't want to vote for a black guy. Either way, I don't feel like I'm in good company if I vote for her. I liked Bill but I was just a kid then ... he was kind of the President that I was first aware of as a child.

Nobody's got it down on gay rights. And it's starting to piss me off a bit.

Who the hell do I vote for? I'm sort of starting to lean towards McCain, but I think this country needs a big change ... but not the kind of change I think Obama will bring.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

McCain's not going to bring any change. He's a 3rd term for Bush.

3. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

+1.

IMO:

If you want things to continue as they are, vote McCain. He's just another stick figure for the far right, and will bend as they please. His recent decision to dissociate from Bush was mouth music to those, like you; sitting on the fence.

I agree we shouldn't tax the hell out of the rich, but we shouldn't be enriching them either and our "public image" will not improve with another war monger.

I understand your dilemna regarding gay rights, etc, and, while Obama may be side stepping the issue, at least he acknowledges it as a possiblity. I must add that, while an Illinois Senator at least, he supported gay unions/rights.

No candidate is perfect, but two offer the opportunity for change which is what this country is in desperate need of.

4. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

good for you. I doubt you will get much support here though.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

So you're voting for no change at all? :confused:

Bomb, bomb, bomb. Bomb, bomb Iran...

That's right. He sidestepped the issue, rather than dismissing it. /foreigner commenting on other country's election

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

McCain is also an older Republican who didn't change with the party ... personally I don't expect him to follow the Republican Bible.

Of course you never know for sure until he sits behind the desk.

Likely he is going to piss off a lot of people, and a lot of politicians.

I'd almost bet that he is going to piss off more Republican politicians and supporters than Democrats.

And when he runs for a second term we are going to see a lot of "Senile Republican President 2012" bumper stickers.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

McCain isn't even a Republican.. he's just another ****ing neocon. There aren't many true Republicans left at all...

He also wants to continue every one of Bush's failed policies from these past 8 years.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think that McCain is pandering to the right for votes, but in the end he will move to the middle. He is far from a neocon. Where do you even suggest that he is.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So what you are saying is regardless of her policies, it wouldn't look good for you to be associated with the 'type' of people you assume would vote for her, and that is your only criteria???

That is probably the shallowest thing I have ever heard...

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that it?

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep, who cares about politics let's just make a decision based on the perceived type of person that votes for that particular candidate.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

This last statement intrigues me. Could you clarify what kind of change you think Obama will bring? I'm not ridiculing you, I'm genuinely curious.

If you want any change at all, it's obvious to me that you can't vote for McCain.

13. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I personally would stay away from anyone wanting to follow in Bush's footsteps.

But what do I know, I'm Canadian.

14. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'm just wondering what kind of change anyone things McCane would bring.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

McCain is just a democrat disguised as a republican

16. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

If by that you mean he is a politician, then yes. Saying both parties are absolutely the same because they're all lying scum bags is hardly a compelling argument.

People said the same of Bush back when he was running against Gore. Do you think Gore would have landed us in our current predicament?

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what i meant is that his views are astoundingly liberal for being a republican

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

What would Obama do? His track record is zip. Talks a whole lotta' trash with the "yes we can" BS. You can do what? Change this mess in 4 years - right.

At least you have a known w. McCain. He's one of the most moderate elephants out there. He does have allies in both parties and has been critical of both parties too.

Change will not come in 4 years. The President is one branch of our govt. and unless you get all in-sync, we're f'ed for another four years.

19. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

seconded. he's hawkish, he's pro-life, he's got a worse temper than my alcoholic father, but he's no neocon.

come the general election, he'll move back towards the middle, and he'd govern as such. i'm thinking a return to the eisenhower-style gop, which would be a change in the right direction, albeit by default.

that said, he won't be able to build the cross-aisle coalitions that obama would, he certainly won't draw new voters into the process the way obama would, he wouldn't repair america's international reputation the way obama would, and his admitted lack of knowledge on economic issues should be his death knell.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dunno, i think obama is way overrated and too many people blindly follow him. at this point, id rather have clinton over obama as everyday it seems there is new stuff concerning him

if i had MY choice, Ron Paul would be the guy bar none

21. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

the easiest way to effect change in washington is to limit the influence of lobbyists. by refusing to take PAC and lobby firm money, obama is closing one door on them. granted, a zillion remain open, but you've got to start somewhere.

it sounds like you're pretty set against voting for him, but it also sounds like you're dismissing him without really looking at his record and his platform. maybe check out his website?

between that and elevating the level of dialogue above mudslinging and gotcha politics, yes, he could significantly change the way things are done in washington. and unless you're a lobbyist, health care executive, or a sub-prime lender, he'll change it for the better.

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Pass the mushrooms this way...:) I could use a good buzz.

What gives these great ideas about Obama? I know, the hypnotic "yes we can" "yes we can" "yes we can" "yes we can" "yes we can" "yes we can" chanting got to you, ehh? I'd truthfully take the Hillonator over him.

He's done so much in his brief govt. service - what besides campaign for pres. since last Dem. convention?

Where's Ron Paul when he's truly needed....

23. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i can't argue with that. obama's campaign admittedly rubs some people the wrong way. it seems a bit odd to me that it does, but to pretend it doesn't is folly. again, i'd point out that his record in illinois and the us senate shows he's committed to the platform issues he's espousing, and his refusal to go negative (offensively negative, at least) against clinton says much about his obsession with changing the tone of politics.

i would point out that policy wise, he and clinton are essentially fraternal twins. they differ on the scope of the healthcare plan and that's pretty much it. it comes down to intangibles between the two, and it would seem that obama's inspirational skills outdraw clinton's experience points.

24. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Spooky. I was typing my post and then went back and read yours.

I'm not the only one!:D

25. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

why are you focused on his rallying cry instead of his record in the senate?

On veterans rights:
    on health care:

on energy:
    on foreign policy:

on federal spending:

there's a lot more out there (LoC's thomas search engine) if you're willing to look for it, but i guess it's only worth doing if you'd even consider voting for him. again, i think it's silly to dismiss a candidate because they can inspire people, but that's your choice.