Holy crap!! Is Apple ever going to fix this sticky trackpad issue on 2010 MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by complexcommunic, Sep 22, 2010.

1. complexcommunic macrumors regular

You know the one I mean! Where you'll be using the trackpad on your 2010 Arrandale 2010 (which took FOREVER to be released) and all of a sudden, it starts highlighting all the text on the webpage you're on without you clicking... or you'll be mousing over the dock and before you know it it's trying to pull an icon off! And you desperately try to put it back, but every time you click it just drags it off again until you get so frustrated you wave it all over the screen and it eventually releases it and it's removed from the dock, so you have to go back to your application folder and put it back again.
    It happens without any sign, and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it stop! I wind up bashing my trackpad with three fingers rapidly until eventually SOMETHING triggers it to stop sticking and give me mouse control back.
    UGH!

2. moel macrumors 6502

Umm no actually. Sounds like you have a duff trackpad.

3. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

Never experienced this...

sorry to hear about your troubles OP.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

It's due to the Magic Trackpad update. If you were to reinstall the OS and not install that, you won't have the problem. Annoying? You bet.

5. easy-mac macrumors member

I've experienced this a few times too, but never really thought much about it. It's annoying when it happens, but I can usually click a few times and get rid of it. I definitely wish they'd fix it, but it doesn't happen to me enough to be a huge bother. OP, how often does yours act up?

It may be a bad trackpad as others have mentioned causing the problem to be worse. Actually, I think I may have a bad trackpad connection or short somewhere because I can press hard on the top of my trackpad and a vertical red line about 1.5 inches long will appear in the top center of my screen, though I'm certainly not sure the two problems are connected. Best advice, make a Genius Bar appointment if it really bothers you and there's an Apple store close by and see what they say.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

7. complexcommunic thread starter macrumors regular

It's not my settings, and I know others have had this problem plenty... I've seen this thread before. I'll look into what you guys are saying, though. Thanks

8. DJ-R macrumors regular

DJ-R

if it's not your setting, then it is your fingers are bugged and they need to be send to Hospital to have them fix up.

Make sure you still have *life insurranty*

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 I've never heard of this issue and I'm on these forums all day while I work.

10. drambuie macrumors 6502a

As chrfr said, it's probably due to the Magic Trackpad update. If you have tap to click enabled, try disabling that. I think that's Apple's interim solution for this problem. The issue is that tap to click causes drag lock when you touch the pad.

11. tai27 macrumors newbie

It's a common issue and if you google it you'll find so many threads on it. Apparently Apple are looking into it, it's taking quite a while..

12. RedneckBob macrumors newbie

I have this same problem and I'm about to go insane.

13. 4FalconAF macrumors member

I have the same problem too. And I have a Magic Trackpad, so uninstalling the update won't be an option. It occurs once a week and it mostly lasts for 2 minutes. So although I like to see a fix, this tread is exaggerated.

14. Bisz macrumors regular

Ive noticed this as well, its quite annoying. I hope they fix it soon because turning off tap to click is not a solution.

15. Goride macrumors newbie

I haven't had this issue with mine at all.

However, I do have another trackpad issue that keeps happening. It won't click sometimes. When I scroll over something to click (like the red or yellow button) it doesn't always click it. No matter how many times I click the pad, it won't click. I have to take my fingers completely off the trackpad for a 3-5 seconds and then it will work again.

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

Just tap with 2 fingers and the sticky situation is reverted.

17. Sync macrumors newbie

This has actually happened to me once. I was clicking like crazy for a few minutes and then it went away. :)

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm, haven't had this happen on my i7 15". Is there some setting that you guys have in common? I only use tap to click for normal clicking, Dragging is disabled (I use the actual button with my thumb for that) Secondary click is disabled as well (I use two finger tap).

Maybe dragging or one finger secondary click causes the issue?

19. inkhead macrumors regular

It's the magic trackpad update. I have "inside" knowledge.

The Problem
    Many of you may have noticed that your unibody trackpads became more sensitive to gestures when the Magic Trackpad update was released.

Cause
    Apple uses only 1 driver for both the large magic trackpad and the smaller unibody trackpad. You can't have different settings for each device as well.

Why?
    On the magic trackpad gestures work perfectly, just like the unibody used to… because Apple optimized the trackpad driver release for the magic trackpad and not the built in trackpad on your macbook pro. Because of this oversight on their part your built in trackpad is overly sensitive.

Solution
    I know from my friends on campus Apple plans to fix the solution. They were working on a two driver solution to start with, but at the last minute rolled it into one driver. Apple's trackpads are in "nearest neighbor" mode instead of "precise" mode. This won't change, but they will address this shortly in an OS update, and eventually in addition to two drivers, they will also allow you to set different settings for each device…

It's the magic trackpad update. I have "inside" knowledge.

The Problem
    Many of you may have noticed that your unibody trackpads became more sensitive to gestures when the Magic Trackpad update was released.

Cause
    Apple uses only 1 driver for both the large magic trackpad and the smaller unibody trackpad. You can't have different settings for each device as well.

Why?
    On the magic trackpad gestures work perfectly, just like the unibody used to… because Apple optimized the trackpad driver release for the magic trackpad and not the built in trackpad on your macbook pro. Because of this oversight on their part your built in trackpad is overly sensitive.

Solution
    I know from my friends on campus Apple plans to fix the solution. They were working on a two driver solution to start with, but at the last minute rolled it into one driver. Apple's trackpads are in "nearest neighbor" mode instead of "precise" mode. This won't change, but they will address this shortly in an OS update, and eventually in addition to two drivers, they will also allow you to set different settings for each device…

20. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

I have had this problem, I had to completely reinstall OS X. BTW, this time I haven't installed the Magic Trackpad update.

21. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I hope they also plan to fix the problem :)

22. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

Perhaps Apple will be generous and hand it to us as a christmas present. Don't wanna get my hopes up though