Holy Crap. MSNBC wins primetime.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 23, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"MSNBC found itself in unprecedented ratings territory for the week of May 15: in first place across the board in primetime.

The channel, which has been on a ratings upswing in the past few months, scored a victory in both total viewers and the key news demographic of adults 25-54 for May 15-19. It averaged 2.44 million viewers overall and 611,000 in the 25-54 demo for MSNBC’s first across-the-board primetime ratings win in its 21-year history."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/mo...e-news-ratings-sweep-for-the-first-time-ever/

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

So basically we spend all our time arguing about news stories less than 1% of the population gets on a high viewer day.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Does this mean that Ms. Maddow can now be my sugar momma?

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

most U.S media is crap so.........

5. samcraig macrumors P6

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why do I believe you're response would be different had faux news won.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

because you don't know me, faux news IS part of the MSM.

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think it’s fair to say that anybody who gets all their news from a major news network is a low information voter.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I need to find the person that claimed their ratings would go down after the election. Wish I could remember who that was. Might not have even been here. :(

But awesome news for MSNBC. I think those here who wrote them off should give them another look. They have evolved into a very good network with host from both sides of the aisle and lots of in depth coverage of stories that others often overlook. It's with good reason they have become number one.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Tell that to Hannity.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Back to back negative Trump coverage even through another Islamic massacre. Bravo.

Fox has been running a rerun show from 5pm in the prime spot iirc. O'Reilley brought a large audience.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I agree for the most part. Rachel Maddow in particular tends to examine stories from angles others only gloss over. She and -- of all people -- HBO's John Oliver are two of the most informative pundits on TV.

But all is not well in MSNBC-land. Last year NBC News honcho Andrew Lack -- basically Phil Griffin's boss -- replaced a lot of the daytime punditry with hard news. Okay, so far so good. I applauded that myself. But now he's been on a conservative hiring binge: George Will, Greta Van Susteren, Nicolle Wallace, (potentially) Hugh Hewitt and others.

If this is an effort to create a better mix of liberals and conservatives, well, that's not necessarily a problem. (Although you'll probably never see Fox making that same effort.) But some are concerned that this is part of a total makeover for the network. Lawrence O'Donnell's contract, for instance, runs out in about three weeks, and the network has not approached him about a renewal, something they normally do at least six months in advance. O'Donnell has the #2 rated show on the network. Hmmmmmm....

This bears watching. Especially since Sinclair is bidding to take over the Tribune Group. We could conceivably end up with three conservative cable news networks and no liberal ones. (Don't even try to bring up CNN to me as one. Just don't.)

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Back during the primaries, Trump was bashing MSNBC hard. At that point I'd never watched it. I can now tell you their entire lineup. I can skip Maddow, but I do love Chris Hayes and Lawrence O'Donnell.

Anyone who believes they are hard left has never watched Morning Joe (former Rep congressman), or Greta.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Joe is nowhere near a Republican. He says he is, but he isn't. He also sucked up to Trump during the campaign.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Scarborough is a traditional Republican...as opposed to whatever it is that passes itself off as Republican today.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I used to listen to Maddow daily, I removed the podcast from my phone after she decided her schtick was going to be nonstop red baiting.

It's a shame what happened to that show. She had a powerful piece on the Afghan war years ago when Obama decided to essentially just continue on the same path. I feel like she's completely lost any journalistic integrity since then.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This. He's not a sellout. He is a traditional fiscal conservative and he calls it like he sees it.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd love to hear what your favorite source for news is.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Joe was a Conservative. He's nothing more than a hack now, along with his bimbo sidekick.

20. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Jon Stewart....!

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

You're dead to me. :oops:

22. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

come'on, he was funny as hell, lefty for sure but funny.

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

There are no funny righties.

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

wel, Trump is a joke, but a bad one for sure.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I support a balanced lineup. I don't like George Will, and definitely not a fan of Huge Hewitt who I consider to not be very bright on some of his views...he also turns back and forth on Trump on a dime. But Greta is okay (a little dramatic, but okay) and I have always liked Nicolle Wallace. I am so glad she got her own show. I watch it everyday.

I would be quite saddened to see Lawrence go as he, like Rachel often mentions things no one else is mentioning and approaches things from a different angle given his resume.

That would be very bad. But I don't see that happening.

Only because you don't like what he is saying, but that doesn't mean he's not a conservative. He's certainly more conservative than Trump and you don't seem to have a problem with him.