Home Button Noise : iPhone 5 vs iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OSMac, Oct 1, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Anyone with both the iPhone 5 and new iPad can you comment on the clicking sound made by the home button?

My iPad very nice... near silent,
    but the iPhone 5 sounded strangely very loud?

2. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

I love the feel and sound of the ip5 It feels solid !

3. ahwman macrumors member

I own both and I agree with you. I love the quietness and the soft touch of the iPad 3 button, the iPhone 5 button is driving me crazy! You can literally hear the click in another room! I just don't understand why Apple is so inconsistent with the feel of the home button across iOS devices being that this button is used more often than ANY other...

Sadly, it looks like this is by design and we will all have to live with it... (Until they change it yet again)

4. Preed08 macrumors regular

Lol, I just tested this with both and I agree. I noticed how hard the click was on the iPhone earlier today, but I rather like it.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There is a range of tolerances in the position of the home button. My ipad and iPhone are basically identical.

6. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Yeah, there is a difference. But I guess Apple knows that the iPhone's home button will get pressed a lot more, so it's made a bit more solid, snappier.

7. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Soon this won't be a problem as in a couple of years the home button will be removed or moved to the sides of the phone. Maybe iPhone 6, if not then 4 years time to see the removal or moved home button.

This is just my guess, not trying to be confident with what I am saying but I just feel that if Apple were to keep the home button the way it is 4 years from now then I know there will be complaints from Apples customers of that home button never being changed.

I understand that the home button is loved by all but people sometimes want to see something different and keeping the same looking home button for 8-10 years will stir people up.

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It seems a lot like the iPod touch's clicky home button.

I don't like it because it's annoying but what can we do

9. PBz macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure there were home button issues with the 4 that Apple learned from.

10. darster Suspended

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It seems to me that expecting the home buttons to sound & feel the same is unreasonable.

The size & mass of the iPad vs. iPhone is simply too different to expect the same acoustic experience. And that's just for starters.

12. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Yep there's a better tactile feeling on the iPhone 5 compared to previous iOS devices.

13. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPhone 5 but a 4 as well as an iPad 3. IMO the button on the tablet is softer but I hardly use it anyway because I've become used to having the multitouch gestures...

14. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Me too. I started getting used to doing the five finger gesture to get out of an app. Also bringing up the multitask tray with four finger swipe up is easier than pushing the home button in my opinion. Once you get used to it your fingers never have to reach for the home button.

I wish though that the iPhone 5 had some unique gestures that will allow you to not rely on the home button.

15. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Amen!

When my not-quite-two-year-old figured out multi-touch gestures and showed me how to do it, I was hooked. :D Now that's all I do on the iPad. I find myself almost trying it on my phone from time-to-time but I catch myself and don't actaully go through the motions.

I do wish there was a way on the iPhone to do similar things.

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have both the iP5 and iPad 3 and much prefer the iP5 home button. It feel solid, and makes the iPad 3 button feel squishy. I don't like how you can "press" the home button on the iPad 3 without feeling like you've pressed it.

17. Brettka7 macrumors regular

I don't see why anyone would want the mushy, unreliable, cheap-feeling, inconsistent home button from the 4 or 4S. IMO the first gen had the best, most consistent feeling home button but the 5 is a close second.

18. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I thought of one gesture for bringing up the multitask tray. By putting your finger on the bottom border of the iPhone and flicking up to the screen, revealing the multitasking tray.

This is done with the MacBook Pros with revealing the notification with OS X.

19. docprego macrumors 65816

The button on my iPhone 5 is nice and solid, I love the click. It's less of a satisfying click on my iPad 3 and absolutely the least satisfying on my 4S. Overall my favorite is the iPhone 5 by a mile!

20. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

Very much so. It has a feeling that it will last. In comparison to my 4s !