Home Button Not Working After Water Damage, but Still Goes to Voice Control!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nerve657, Jan 18, 2010.

1. nerve657 macrumors newbie

hey all,

so yes. my 3gs iphone took 'the plunge' out of my pocket and into my toilet the other day. i was not happy. i immediately put the phone in some rice in a ziplock bag and waited. and prayed.

today i took the phone out of its grain cocoon and was thrilled to see that it still worked. only problem? the home button is completely unresponsive.

obviously i think this is a hardware issue, but what's really strange is that every time i restart the iphone (a few times), upon power up my phone goes immediately into voice control as if i pressed and held the home button.

figuring there still may need some drying, i put the phone back in the rice for another 12 hours. questions:

1. does this whole voice control aspect put a software spin on this problem?
    2. after i give the phone some more time with the rice should i do an update/restore?
    3. should the genius bar be my next stop?
    4. are there any other solutions out there besides this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=615755

many thanks in advance!

pete.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

water damage is not covered under warranty, but paying for them to fix it will work. if u go to the genius bar bring a pair of rubber gloves for them to put on, cuz no one wants to touch something thats been in the toilet.

3. voyager7 macrumors newbie

I have EXACTLY the same problem! (though mine was in a sink of clean water!) Not only does the Home button not work, the "Shift" and "Delete" buttons on the virtual do not work. I have taken the phone apart and looked at the 2 copper terminals on the button and ran a circuit tester across the terminals to see if the button was working (which it was). This seems to rule out a simple button hardware problem. I have read on another forum that it may have something to do with a faulty dock connector ribbon : http://www.hackint0sh.org/f131/63804.htm, and will now attempt to disassemble the main motherboard from the bottom of the phone to see if there is any corrosion there. My 2 internal water indicators have gone pink. There are also a couple of diagional lines across the actual LCD screen (not the digitiser) and again, I will attempt to take the lcd screen apart today to see if the water residue can be cleaned off.

Has anyone else had the same problem and managed a fix?

Any other suggestions for a fix would be welcome!

4. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

its pretty simple water damage = short circuits

if your dock connector works ( iphone syncs, etc) it sounds like it could just be your home button

if that is the case you can buy something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/03-APPLE-IPHONE...wItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item45f0463e4b

or if you want to go the diy route you will need

a) iphone 3gs glass repair kit +3m glue
    b) iphone 3gs button + wiring harness

( should cost around 40 bucks) but its not an easy repair

5. voyager7 macrumors newbie

SUCCESS!!! I have a fully working Home button and the "shift" and "delete" buttons on the virtual keyboard are also operational!

I took the main motherboard apart and found that even though the phone had completely dried out, underneath the motherboard had quite a lot of blue/green corrosion and in particular, there are 2 pins which link to a side circuit of the dock connector/aerial module. One of these connectors on the motherboard had corroded so bad it had almost gone black. I used a piece of damp kitchen towel to wipe down the entire motherboard, then used a cotton bus dipped in isopropyl alcohol to work on the corroded connectors on the MB. After most of the black corrosion had come off, there was not a lot of copper left on the pcb connector, so I soldered a thin strip of solder to the remaining bit of copper, reassembled the phone and now, I have a fully functional iPhone!

Next project is to dissasemble the LCD screen and clean the water mark residue that has got behind the backlight. I have looked at other LDC panel disassembly vids on Youtube but those ones seem to have clips holding the LCD panel in place, whereas the iPhone one does not. Has anyone tried to take one apart before?

Hope this helps someone , let us know any success/failures!

6. adeev macrumors newbie

Hi To All,

Actually i have been facing same problem of HOME BUTTON not working & iPhone switches on itself whenever i turn it off, due to water damage.
    I purchased iPhone 4 from Singapore last yr & now using in India, so apple service center is of no use.
    Plz suggest how to repair the device. As am just a average iPhone user so don't know much about opening it like "voyager7" did....

PLZ HELP......:apple::apple::apple: