Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had my iPhone 4 since February. I take very good care of it and haven't ever dropped it, gotten it wet, etc. Lately the home button issue has just become too much of a problem. Very often, I find myself pressing it firmly 5-7 times in a row and still no response. It's quite annoying and I'm aware of others having the same problem although I'm not sure to what extent. I feel like it's a pretty big issue; however, when I went into Apple for a scheduled Genius bar appointment, I received no help whatsoever. I clearly informed the employee that I had completely restored the phone, wiped it clean, and was running the latest software. The very obnoxious employee kept insisting that I perform a restore even after I told him repeatedly it had been done. As if that wasn't bad enough, he asked if I had a screen protector on it. I said no. He kept arguing trying to tell ME what I had on my phone. "You have a screen protector on your phone." I said no...I don't. Needless to say, I received no help and left unsatisfied and frustrated. Do you think it's worth scheduling another appointment in hopes of receiving better help or not even worrying about it and just dealing with the problem?

DankNugz

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2012
Bay Area, CA
Sounds like you just happened to get a horrible employee. I would definitely go back and see a different Genius if I were you. Or if you have another Apple store nearby you could try that. There have been many people that have had the exact same problem and had theirs replaced.

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Funny thing just happened, I just pressed my home button a couple times and it refused to work at all. I pushed it 20 times or so. Then tried pushing the power/sleep button. Didn't work. It was like the external buttons were caught on something or laggy for whatever reason. Just thought it was a bit weird and wanted to share! Thanks for the responses though! I will see about getting a better Genius.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Seems like the home button is just going bad. Just make another appointment and hopefully you get another genius that wants to help.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
My home button has been acting up for a couple of months now. It may have got worse since I jailbroke, I'm not sure. Sometimes though, it's fine and sometimes you can press it fifteen or twenty times without it doing anything. Just booked an appointment at the genius bar for a couple of days from now so we'll see how that goes. It'll probably work fine when I take it in! Haha.

How common is this problem exactly? I seem to have seen quite a few people complaining about this.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

I've actually had my iPhone 4 replaced twice for this issue. Sounds like you were unlucky with a rude Genius.

My second replaced phone also had a cracked screen but was still replaced free even though it annoyingly behaved itself when I went to the apple store.

Hope you have better luck next time.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I'm having issues with my launch-day iPhone 4's home button too. I didn't purchase AppleCare, but my credit card doubles the manufacturer's warranty. I called them up yesterday and said if I do an out-of-warranty replacement through Apple, they will reimburse me. I'll probably schedule a genius bar appointment next weekend.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Just an update on my situation. Took my phone in today and, despite the fact that it appeared to be working perfectly (it does come and go) the girl basically just said, "I trust you." and swapped it for a new phone.

I honestly can't praise Apple enough when it comes to this stuff. I took an iMac in a few years ago and, despite the fact that it was actually a couple of weeks out of warranty, the guy still put it through for about seven hundred pounds worth of repairs free of charge.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Glad to hear you received a replacement. My iPhone 4 had that problem and I tried MULTIPLE times to get it swapped, no luck. I ended up trying a trick I found while Googling the problem. Although I was able to fix the problem, I still upgraded to the iPhone 4S-this time WITH Applecare+.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Glad to hear you received a replacement. My iPhone 4 had that problem and I tried MULTIPLE times to get it swapped, no luck. I ended up trying a trick I found while Googling the problem. Although I was able to fix the problem, I still upgraded to the iPhone 4S-this time WITH Applecare+.

Out of interest, how did you fix it?

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
I have the same problem with my launch day 4, and I did go to the Apple Store and had the Genius appointment. I didn't purchase Apple Care, and my warranty is gone. My home button works, but I have to consistently press it about 3 times. I was given 2 options by the Genius, either live with it (he did put it in a nice way) or I can qualify to purchase a new one. I'm going to wait as long as I can before I purchase a new one, hopefully I can hold out until the 5 comes out. I use that button assist thing, what ever it's called, and it help a lot. Except when I accidently press it in the middle of doing stuff. I think I'll survive. :D

crackedandblack

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
I tried EVERY method suggested when I had the iPhone 4 - it was out of warranty so I knew they wouldn't replace it - and it never got better - luckily my upgrade came for the 4S - I'm watching it like a hawk and the minute it starts playing up I'm straight to the 'genius' bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.