Home Defense

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so what if Anything do you protect your home with?

my 1300 defender seems to be headed for the gun cabinet, I upgraded my home security system with
    [​IMG]

she is an Akita/Pit mix that was on her way to the shelter, I have to admit that I am in love :) ; so far she is GREAT, had her for almost 3 months, barks only when people are close. pretty shy around other people & keeps morons away.:D

EDIT.
    got her around the end of March
    [​IMG]

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yawn.

I defend my home with unlocked doors and lots of mint. Been doing so for over a decade, have not had any invasions yet.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can I have your address please? is it dark chocolate mint? :)

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is spearmint that grows wild in the yard. Anyone comes through that way we would smell them coming.

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Beautiful dog. My dog would just try to play with an attacker, so I have to rely on M193.

6. Vanilla Ice, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Home Defense

I have my GSD Hennessy (now 11 month old) as my alarm.

[​IMG]

And my S&W SD40 and SD9 for my family's protection. The big black scary AR is mostly for sport.

[​IMG]

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My only home defense is a flashlight stun gun.

It has a really bright light.

It could hurt your eyeballs.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I live in a nice neighborhood, with a good police department. I keep on good terms with my neighbors. I have good quality windows and doors, with decent locks on them. I have multiple smoke and CO2 detectors on each floor, a fire extinguisher in my kitchen and garage.

And I keep my homeowners insurance paid up to date.

Since I'm not involved in either organized crime or street gangs, I don't sell drugs or lend or borrow money to strangers, and I generally try to avoid getting into blood feuds - there aren't many people out to "get me."

Thats my home defense. If some idiot wants to break into my house to steal my flat screen TV or my Gibson Les Paul - I'll be annoyed. But I can always buy another one with the insurance money.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Nothing... I live in a safe, reasonably affluent area full of families just going about their business. On hot days I prop my front door open to keep cool without worry. :cool:

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I keep the front door locked.....here in Los Angeles that's always been enough

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I keep the front and french doors closed to keep flies out. If it weren't for flies, those doors would always be open when I'm home. :mad:

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Home defense?

First, they have to find my house. Most invaders aren't going to want to spend the time driving out past suburbia to find a home to break into. While vigilant with various weapons of choice and a our dog isn't right for defense (she's a guide dog), security through obscurity is my first line of defense.

BL.

13. zin macrumors 6502

Doors and windows come to mind.

With locks. I'm not a daredevil.

Nothing else.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I use Ortho Home Defense in excess. Bug problems has been kept to a minimum.

I deal with pesky burglary problems by leaving the curtains open and a sign reading, "My neighbor has better stuff." Haven't had a single break-in ever since moving here 10 years ago.:)

15. chown33 macrumors 604

I live in a Winnebago RV that's actually an Autobot. So my home defends itself.

Thanks, Winnie.

For backup, I have a f-f-fish called W-w-wanda.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

lmao, I might give that a try :D

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have heard that hanging clear plastic bags full of water just outside might help. During the day, at least. The distorted refraction of light allegedly confuses them, so they stay clear of the area.

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I've always felt that if someone is stupid enough to break into my house when I'm there I am not responsible for their safety, nothing needed beyond my hands and feet.

19. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I defend myself by being nice to folks, and inviting them in for a meal or a drink from time to time.

The only dogs I have owned were sheep and cattle dogs when working on farms back home in Aotearoa. Friendly to just about everyone, they were only wary of vets and the hydatids dosing man.

Living on the outskirts of a city, as I do now, convention dictates that I do lock the door. Where I live back home the doors are never locked.

20. pdjudd macrumors 601

Mythbusters debunked that one actually.

21. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I live in a RED county, loaded with a high density of gun nuts per capita. My house is well protected by the ubiquitous presumption that I too must have multiple firearms at the ready.

There are SOME benefits to living amongst and in a country with people that are not very bright and have a pronounced and perverse favoritism to firearms.

22. chown33 macrumors 604

A friend of mine kept a few geese, which were highly effective at attacking visitors (friend or foe) with vigorous charging, and much hissing and pecking. I've got a few shin and calf scars to remind me of failing to keep my guard up. Best warning-animals I ever knew, plus: eggs!

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

Hmmm...we usually lock the front door, and set the alarm at night and when we are not home. That's about it...not much defense.

Even though we live next door to a fairly ghetto apartment complex (which has now been evicted), and had a few problems on our street because of it, I've never been concerned. Generally, criminals are going to at least think about how they are getting out if discovered. From my house, there are only two ways out: out into the main street where anyone can see you, or off a 50' retaining wall behind my house. Only a moron would take that chance.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

nightly fire fights with the neighbors? fun!

25. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Not so much.

The county in which I reside, population density comes out to roughly 90 acres per person.