Home for Spring Break, Have My New iPad.. I want to Control My Folks Apple TV.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Mar 25, 2012.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hi guys,

So I'm home for spring break from my university for this coming week. There is an Apple TV here, mine actually... But home sharing isn't configured on the apple tv. In act, my folks have lost the apple tv remote that it came with...so here I am with only my new iPad and iPhone.

I'd love to be able to control the apple tv instead of using the apple tv remote. Any help is appreciated.

AirPlay mirroring works it's the apple v, but I want to control the menu to get to Netflix..

2. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I know but the app won't let me connect to Apple TV

4. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

5. boxster99t, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

boxster99t macrumors member

Interesting problem--unless there is some solution via jailbreaking, I think you will need to find the missing Apple TV remote so that you can pair an IOS Device (your iPad or an iPhone/Ipod touch) running the remote app as an additional remote control.

Even if you borrowed another Apple TV remote, you have to navigate through the menus to pair it up. So I think you're stuck unless/until you find the Apple TV remote that your Apple TV is paired to.

Edit: The link in the immediately preceeding post, indicates almost any remote can navigate through the Apple TV menus. Interesting. Never tried it, but that seems to be the solution.

Second Edit: I take it back--the linked article seems to be a different situation (the person had already paired the iPhone running the remote app to the Apple TV, and he used the iPhone to navigate through the Apple TV menus. I'm back to my original suggestion--find the missing Apple TV remote or keep looking for another solution.

Third Edit: You can borrow and use any Apple TV remote to set up the remote App--see here for steps: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

If you live near an Apple Store, they may help you out getting it set up.