Home Invader Shot to Death After Forcing Way into Home With Shotgun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MuddyPaws1, Mar 4, 2013.

1. MuddyPaws1, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Just to add balance. Seems only the anti's post links to when guns go bad and never when they save lives.

http://www.wcjb.com/local-news/2013/02/home-invader-shot-death-after-forcing-way-ex-girlfriends-home

And another....

1 dead, 4 jailed after failed robbery. "The resident decided to fight back and shot two of the men," said Sergeant Paul Hicks, with the Fairborn Police Department.

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/greene_county/fatal-home-invasion-brings-up-gun-laws#.UTVjTRlnK2w

And another

Home invasion suspect shot and killed during attempted break-in.

The suspect then tried to break into a bedroom through a window where two little girls, ages 4 and 7, were sleeping. Authorities say their dad tried to warn the intruder, but he didn't listen.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/2...sion-shot-and-killed-during-attemped-break-in

And another....

Homeowner Forced to Shoot Home Invader While Waiting for Police to Arrive

A man and his wife were sleeping when they heard someone break in around 5am.

They called police and the husband armed himself with a handgun.

The suspect charged at the homeowner while police were on their way. The homeowner fired a single shot at the suspect, hitting him.

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defen...e-invader-while-waiting-for-police-to-arrive/

And people don't have to die....This is yet another defensive gun use in which no shots were fired, no one was injured and the bad guys are going to jail.

Houston homeowner holds 3 burglary suspects at gunpoint until cops arrive.

He said he caught two juveniles downstairs and told them to lie on the floor. Then he ordered a third person who was upstairs to get on the floor.

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defen...s-holds-them-at-gunpoint-until-police-arrive/

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Glad to hear their families are safe. Gun control policies won't keep firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens that need them for a legitimate reason.

3. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Who decides who "needs" one?

4. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Or what type is appropriate for them.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The government through well-drafted laws and regulations. They should be much more restricted and tightly regulated and not as "freely" available as they are now.

Shotguns and pistols are appropriate in most cases. No one needs extended magazines for reducing reload time, nor will they likely need an assault rifle for home defense.

6. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

No one needs? Who are you to decide that? I thought you just said well-drafted laws? Which is it?

7. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

My entire statement is an opinion. And I think that many people would agree with me (as would disagree).

8. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Thank you for clarifying. I wish more people would recognize that it is indeed an opinion, and not "right." (or "wrong").

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Regardless, something still needs to be done about it.

The U.S. has far more related gun deaths than any other developed country.

10. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I agree. If more burglars realized homeowners could be armed, those gun deaths would go down. ;)

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

More guns = less deaths? Sounds logical :rolleyes: I *really* hope that was a fail troll attempt.

12. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I didn't say more guns. They're out there already.

If more burglars realized the potential outcome of breaking into a home where one of those guns already exists, there's a decreased likelyhood of loss of life.

You don't want to take away those guns that are already legally owned, do you?

13. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

What I meant is more guns in the hands of people, which is what you're saying.

The problem is, is that many guns are legal and were at one point obtained legally. And there's more and more guns being introduced everyday. More guns = more violence and gun deaths. That's just statistically how it works.

Another somewhat related point to home invasions is that I don't like how many people are so trigger happy and excited to kill someone and take their life. If it's ultimately self-defense and you *absolutely* have to shoot them, then fine. But I have a feeling that's not always the case. If more homeowners had weapons, there's not necessarily a decreased loss in life. Many people will probably shoot and kill someone just for breaking in without even giving them a warning or some kind of citizen's arrest (or restraint).

14. pdjudd macrumors 601

I would imagine that most burglars target homes that are easy to break into and rarely target those where people are actually at home home. Burglars probably don't like confrontation period and my guess is that "homeowner owns guns" only factors into things when they steal the guns when the home owner is gone and sells them along with other property.

I strongly think the only burglars that get stopped by gun owners are the ones that aren't thinking about what they are doing and I strongly suspect that they don't think that the owner is armed. They are already stupid enough to target a home with a witness in there after all.

And that isn't taking into affect the relative rarity of getting burglarized in the first place. A better deterrent is good security practices rather than the gamble of arming yourself (which can be used against you too). Trust me. If you want to deter theft, you make it harder and more inconvenient for someone to rob you in the first place. Let the robber target an easier target.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm glad the families are safe however this article shows that people STILL never once read the proposed gun regulations.

Nowhere does it say its going to take guns out of the hands of regular citizens. Its talking about limiting assault weapons (which I agree with), stronger background checks (which I agree with) and checks about mental illness (which is usually a key factor in all these mass killings).

I own guns, I'm not against responsible people having guns, but it worries me the amount of group think that goes on where people think that "Obama is trying to take our guns and raise an army to kill all of the citizens!" (because you know, the government profits off of dead citizens vs alive ones that pay taxes :rolleyes:).

16. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

That's because that's typical conservative propaganda that gets spread around like fire from Fox (and of course, others that are scared and/or stupid enough to believe it).

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

They may not need an extended magazine for reduced reload time, but you do realize that an "assault rifle" in the civilian market is only cosmetics correct? The best example is that a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle has the exact same capability and shoots the same round as an AR15, yet the Mini 14 is not an assault rifle because it has a different appearance.

I know this has been stated over and over again, but a select fire military assault rifle is not available for legal purchase in the United States.

An AR15 is just a semi automatic rifle that accepts a magazine like every other semi automatic rifle that accepts a magazine on the market. Limit the magazine size if you really think that will make a difference, but banning that rifle while leaving every other semi auto on the market with a more sedate appearance makes little sense to me.

18. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Yet the gun itself is intended for combat situations and environments and is equipped with a tactical stock, grip, and sight, to name a few.

19. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Please, please, please stop assuming that everyone is only regurgitating propaganda. And please, don't generalize people being stupid. Yes, there are a lot dumb people in the world. (Half of them, to be precise.) But one who generalizes a large group of people as being stupid because they disagree with the opposing viewpoint, generally comes off as completely elitist, and usually confirms their own membership in the "less intelligent" club.

Back to the point, some people are actually responsible gun owners, and would also like more thorough background checks, and to make those background checks necessary for all private sales as well.

I was in no way implying that "Obama wants to take our guns!"

My question was, do you want to take those guns away.

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Sounds about right for most Fox viewers. But did you really just try to combat generalizations with more generalizations?

I have nothing against stronger background checks. But there also need to be further measures in place.

Actually, yes. Many guns need to be confiscated. At one point, guns are legally registered and increase the total gun count (of course, illegal ones do too). There are a lot of people that have guns that shouldn't (such as criminals). These need to be taken away. There are roughly 310 million guns in America. That's about 1 *per* person, every man, woman, child, and baby. Somehow, I doubt everyone has a gun. There may be that many people in America, but not all of them are legitimate gun owners. So yes, some guns need to be gathered up and taken away to reduce this count. That is ridiculously high.

21. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Seriously, you just can't help yourself, can you?

A large number of gun owners own more than one gun.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right that works so well so by that thinking no cop should ever get shot. Criminals tend not to think about the repercussions of what they do or it would interfere with their actions.
    it is an illusion that owning guns is going to stop crime.

23. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Criminals, murderers, and robbers count as gun owners too.

24. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Source for how many of those make up the total number of guns in circulation?

How about something more reasonable, like the fact that the average gun owner owns 6.9 guns.

source

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Better hope those criminals own more guns so people can have the excuse of needing more guns.