Home Sharing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StarJack, Dec 29, 2011.

1. StarJack macrumors newbie

Hi, brought home my first Apple device today, a shiny new black iPad 2. :D I'm going to have a hard time putting this thing down! :apple:

So I have a question regarding home sharing. I enabled Home Sharing on my Win 7 desktop thru iTunes (10.5.2.11) with my Apple ID so I could listen to music from my desktop on the new iPad. I went into the iPad settings and entered my Apple ID & pword etc., but I am not seeing any songs under the iTunes or Music app. There is no "shared" menu that I can find in iTunes on the iPad. I've looked at the web page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819 and the screen shot they show simply does not show up on the iPad. I just see Genres, Featured, Top Charts, & Genius menus across the top of iTunes.

Any suggestions on what I've missed or am doing wrong? :confused:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Are both devices (your iPad and Computer) on the same network?

Sometimes people have a guest account, or like in my case, my next door neighbor has a WiFi without a password, so my iPad will sometimes switch to their internet.

3. StarJack thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, yes on the same Wi-Fi network, the iPad is sharing e-mail with the Win 7 desktop like it should.

(I'm getting an iPhone in a few days and was browsing the iPhone forum in a different tab from the iPad forum and posted this question from the iPhone tab. FacePalm.)

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

On you iPad go to iTunes (not the store) - Click on More - Click Shared

On your PC you have to have that option on. idk where it is in PC... but in the Menu Bar on Mac its under Advance. Once that is set all you have to do is go back to your iPad and click on the Shared section in iTunes. You will know that its there when you see the name of your Library on your iPad. Ex. Joe's Library.

Also you can try this too...

try Downloading the Remote App.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

I used this with home sharing on my network and with friends macs.

5. StarJack thread starter macrumors newbie

I had rebooted the iPad multiple times...after rebooting the desktop, the iPad, and the router everything is working as it should and I see the music from my desktop. Not sure specifically what the issue was, but it had to be connectivity related. Thanks saving107 for the response!