Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marko Zorec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
I am looking for simple house Security system, like some motion sensors near doors and windows, one camera, one fire and flood detector, and maybe one siren.

I was looking for Samsung SmartThings, but the problem is, I find Apple enviroment better..

Are there possibilities to use HomeKit as a security system?

I need to buy Apple TV for a hub, and then accesories?

Yhank you...

Marko Zorec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Ok guys cmon, please, any comments about topic?

I found some smoke/flood detectors and sirens from Fibaro, Netatmo and other manufactures...

I am planning to buy Apple TV and it will work like Hub/Central for my Smart Home/Security System?

Once I have Apple TV . - I can then buy as many motion sensors, sirens, detectors etc. and they will all work in my System?
I am new to this topic so thanx for comments...

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I am looking for simple house Security system, like some motion sensors near doors and windows, one camera, one fire and flood detector, and maybe one siren.

I was looking for Samsung SmartThings, but the problem is, I find Apple enviroment better..

Yhank you...

After using both smartthings is more reliable and far more useful. Home kit has a long ways to go yet. Though neither are perfect.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Canary (security camera) reportedly has a homekit version in the works. It was supposed to be released last fall (It was on their website)

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area

Yhank you...
Let me offer a suggestion.

For current HomeKit information go here and read all you can: https://www.apple.com/ios/home/

We use HK for a lot of devices - probably about 40-45. It's a pretty good mix of devices - sensors, lights, locks, etc. And, for us, it works very well. Still missing water sensors - waiting for Honeywell's sensors to become KH compatible.

You would need an ATV4 - iOS devices, etc. to use HK.

Personally - when it comes to security - I would not use HK. We have a wired system with many sensors, it's centrally, monitored - via cellular connectivity with backup. It can be controlled remotely - along with notification to our iOS devices - in addition to the central alarm station calls. I wanted a security system that is as "bullet proof" as possible.

Hope that helps.

DoloresGlover

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2017
Ok guys cmon, please, any comments about topic?

I found some smoke/flood detectors and sirens from Fibaro, Netatmo and other manufactures...

I am planning to buy Apple TV and it will work like Hub/Central for my Smart Home/Security System?

Once I have Apple TV . - I can then buy as many motion sensors, sirens, detectors etc. and they will all work in my System?
I am new to this topic so thanx for comments...

Shop to your nearest computer services technology and ask their suggestion don't ask from here. :(

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
HomeKit can work as what you suggest. I personally have multiple HK-enabled motion and door sensors around the house and have the notification sent to my iPhone if any of that is tripped. I do have 4th Gen Apple TV to tie some 30 or so HK devices all into one.

But I also understand others' apprehension about using it as a full-fledged security system. The problem I see is twofold - HK isn't quite reliable in the current form in iOS 10, and the number of companies and devices on board are still too small. I think the reliability problem will improve with iOS 11, and the recent WWDC announcement about opening HK development is also a good news in the mid-to-long term. But this also means it's not quite ideal in the short term.

If you're willing to ride it out, that's fine. I think Apple is far from abandoning this endeavor, and you'll appreciate the tight OS-level integration. But if your wallet or patience isn't willing to sacrifice, there are better solutions right now and nobody is going to stop you from going that way.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You get what you pay for...lol...

Its also SHARED cloud storage. So its divided even amongst the cameras.

If you are investing in security cameras be prepared to invest in a cloud subscription anyway. That is how Canary "gets you", they know you'll probably want more but if you already have their cameras you likely invest with them and use their subscription.

Overall though I still feel Canary has some of the best value on the market. Their subscription is cheaper then some and includes more than others. One simple non tiered membership includes 30 days of cloud storage, unlimited two way talk, unlimited full resolution downloads, etc...

Their devices are feature packed and solidly built with a subtle design that can blend in with the home. Air quality monitoring and built in siren make it stand out amongst the crowd.

Software is pretty good and updated with new features fairly often. Since this is all Canary does they focus all their attention on it. They even have a tvOS app for your AppleTV, this is great to use like a security system monitor. I have a friend that uses it to monitor his infants bedroom upstairs while he's in his home office in the basement.

My only gripe is there still isn't a HomeKit version available! It was supposed to be here a year ago! I want to buy more but with other HomeKit devices and IFTTT I really need my next security camera(s) to use HomeKit. That way on an alert I can activate all the lights (or boobytraps!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.