Homeowner Charged in Michigan Porch Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 15, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not sure why the thread on this was locked.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/prosecutor-make-announcement-porch-shooting

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Good, but in light of SYG, the outcome remains uncertain.

5. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Pretty sure that Castle Doctrine will apply here over SYG, but from what has been released so far, it doesn't seem like either will be a very firm defense.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't know. Some jurys seem overly sympathetic to the "I feared for my life" defense and the law establishment ends up saying "eh, whatever".

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I don't think that will apply here. We don't yet know all the facts, but from what it looks like here the woman did not attack the home owner, but just approached for some help. This guy will get his justice in the courts.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

An article I saw used the word "accidentally" to describe the shooting ... and I wouldn't doubt that could be the case.

I really have a hard time believing his intent was murderous ... that he thought, "Oh boy. I've been waiting for a moment like this. I always wanted to blow someone's head off."

On the other hand I could more easily see a person pointing a gun at someone's head, being a little too tense, squeezing the trigger a little more than they intended ... or reacting to a sudden move or noise.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Because this is MacRumors. A moderator probably did it. You shouldn't be surprised. Duh. :rolleyes:

</sarcasm>

10. kolax macrumors G3

When a drunk driver gets behind a wheel and crashes causing a death, it isn't their intent to kill someone, but they rightly get charged for it.

SYG laws are ridiculously relaxed it seems, though nice to hear it won't be applicable here.

11. malman89 macrumors 68000