Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

HomePod Beta 2 Adds Option to Select New Default Services for Music, Podcasts and Audiobooks

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder if Spotify will make the effort to add support for it. it’s not like the HomePod is a success. I have two and Siri is annoying as hell and the sound quality is mediocre.

I can’t imagine Spotify will sell more subscriptions because of this. But I guess they will add support for it for political reasons: if they attack Apple on other fronts for non-competitive road blocks, they can’t have Apple to rebuttal by pointing to the HomePod and their unwillingness to add support after Apple made the effort to open up their platform.

Comment

Substance90

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Amen, now I might actually consider a HomePod. Thanks EU and everyone else pushing Apple for more open ecosystems.

• Disagree
Reactions: Black Belt
Comment

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
iTunes Match an option or just Apple Music?!

This is what I’m wondering too. My iTunes Match service just renewed for another year last week. I want to know if I should cancel it, because the only reason I have it is to ask Siri to play music on my HomePods.

Comment

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I want to know if I should cancel it, because the only reason I have it is to ask Siri to play music on my HomePods.
Is match actually working for you via your HomePods at the moment? Mine, as of a few weeks ago, can no longer find anything from my library if I ask Siri, however, if I say "Hey Siri, play" it plays the entire library on shuffle, so it can clearly see it!

Comment

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I hope this option is more granular than the screenshot because I would like to use Apple Music for music and audible for audiobooks.
I agree. I also hope you can set your default on a device by device basis. I want to keep Apple Music as my default for the HomePod in my office but I know my wife would prefer to set the default to Pandora for the HomePod in the living room.

Comment

rjp1

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
when did it ever have one??! I'd kill to be able to turn down the bass on this thing.
It originally had one and they removed it. It makes no sense.

I love the concept of the HomePod, but it sounds bad in my rooms. In my office it has too much bass and in my living room it doesn’t have enough.

Comment

J Osborne

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2016
How could you go back to bluetooth after W1/H1

W1/H1 (the AirPod/PowerBests/AirPod Pro chips) is bluetooth. Just an unusually good implementation of it. They don't even use any weird codecs. If you have a bluetooth analyzer you can see ordinary BT packets with ordinary audio data. As far as I can tell the magic is in either (or both) the antennas or the radio systems or something below Bluetooth's packet layer. So in theory any other BT headphones should be able to hold onto connections just as well, establish them just as fast, and have latency just as low.

Comment

vahighland

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Atlanta
I was kind of hoping that this option would allow to select your local library instead of having to choose a "service." That's the reason why I never bought a HomePod. All my music is ripped from CDs, don't need any service. I want native support for my local library so I can simply say to the speaker, "Siri play ..." without any hacks or inconveniences.

Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I was kind of hoping that this option would allow to select your local library instead of having to choose a "service." That's the reason why I never bought a HomePod. All my music is ripped from CDs, don't need any service. I want native support for my local library so I can simply say to the speaker, "Siri play ..." without any hacks or inconveniences.
iTunes Match isn’t a hack or an inconvenience?

Comment

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Is match actually working for you via your HomePods at the moment? Mine, as of a few weeks ago, can no longer find anything from my library if I ask Siri, however, if I say "Hey Siri, play" it plays the entire library on shuffle, so it can clearly see it!

It hasn't worked properly for years and Apple doesn't care. Only probably about half my library plays, for some reason I haven't been able to figure out, Siri on HomePod is missing half my songs, and the ones missing seem completely random.

Comment

vahighland

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Atlanta
iTunes Match isn’t a hack or an inconvenience?
I wasn't referring to iTunes Match as the hack, that's a service. I was referring to the only apparent options to integrate your local library with HomePod. It's not very convenient and doesn't seem to support Siri. For example, you can use an iPhone, select a song, then AirPlay that to HomePod. Switching songs would be a pain if you need to use the phone for that. I would think the HomePod should just connect directly to your local library on the same network and use Siri.

Comment

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I wonder if Spotify will make the effort to add support for it. it’s not like the HomePod is a success. I have two and Siri is annoying as hell and the sound quality is mediocre.
I can’t imagine Spotify will sell more subscriptions because of this. But I guess they will add support for it for political reasons: if they attack Apple on other fronts for non-competitive road blocks, they can’t have Apple to rebuttal by pointing to the HomePod and their unwillingness to add support after Apple made the effort to open up their platform.

You have no idea if the HomePod is a success or not and calling the sound mediocre is of course laughable as everyone here knows. Even the audiophile sites say it has the best sound quality of any smart speaker. Maybe you should try an echo dot instead.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.