Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly five months after the HomePod launched in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, Apple today expanded availability of the Siri-enabled speaker to customers in Canada, France, and Germany.

homepod-canada-france-germany-800x313.jpg

HomePod is available in white and space gray for $449 in Canada and EUR349 in Germany and France via Apple's online store and the Apple Store app for iPhone and iPad. It's also available at Apple's retail stores in each country, and at select authorized resellers, including Best Buy in Canada.

Apple recently pushed a software update to the HomePod that enables Siri to speak in French, German, and Canadian English. Apple's website notes that support for Canadian French is coming later this year.

The software update, paired with iOS 11.4, also introduced support for stereo sound and multi-room audio via AirPlay 2. It also enables users to check calendar appointments on the HomePod by asking Siri.

HomePods could already be used abroad in countries outside of the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, but Siri's language options were limited to American, Australian, and British dialects of English, and certain features like Siri's ability to read the news or play music charts were lacking.

While the HomePod has received rave reviews about its sound quality, critics believe the speaker has exposed Siri's shortcomings. Siri Shortcuts should help in that regard, enabling users to connect certain third-party apps to Siri to greatly streamline voice controls with app-specific actions.

In terms of what's next for HomePod, a few rumors have suggested that Apple could release a lower priced version of the speaker later this year or next, although it could end up being a Siri-enabled Beats speaker.

Article Link: HomePod Now Available to Order in Canada, France, and Germany

tatsumi

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2015
Please Japan next... I want to buy a second HomePod, but not again in a foreign country.

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California

Nearly five months after the HomePod launched in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, Apple today expanded availability of the Siri-enabled speaker to customers in Canada, France, and Germany.

homepod-canada-france-germany-800x313.jpg

HomePod is available in white and space gray for $449 in Canada and EUR349 in Germany and France via Apple's online store and the Apple Store app for iPhone and iPad. It's also available at Apple's retail stores in each country, and at select authorized resellers, including Best Buy in Canada.

Apple recently pushed a software update to the HomePod that enables Siri to speak in French, German, and Canadian English. Apple's website notes that support for Canadian French is coming later this year.

The software update, paired with iOS 11.4, also introduced support for stereo sound and multi-room audio via AirPlay 2. It also enables users to check calendar appointments on the HomePod by asking Siri.

HomePods could already be used abroad in countries outside of the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, but Siri's language options were limited to American, Australian, and British dialects of English, and certain features like Siri's ability to read the news or play music charts were lacking.

While the HomePod has received rave reviews about its sound quality, critics believe the speaker has exposed Siri's shortcomings. Siri Shortcuts should help in that regard, enabling users to connect certain third-party apps to Siri to greatly streamline voice controls with app-specific actions.

In terms of what's next for HomePod, a few rumors have suggested that Apple could release a lower priced version of the speaker later this year or next, although it could end up being a Siri-enabled Beats speaker.

Article Link: HomePod Now Available to Order in Canada, France, and Germany
A matching HomePod subwoofer wouldn't kill anybody either.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
A matching HomePod subwoofer wouldn't kill anybody either.
Not a lot of complaints about HomePod’s low end except for those who want it softer, mostly I suppose from those who live in an apartment with shared walls.

But sure, if you want to rattle the Windows with true sub-bass frequencies at high(er) SPLs, you’re going to need a bigger enclosure and more wattage.

It would be easy enough to do, compared to the engineering effort the HomePod took. But I think it would sell to fewer than 10% of those who buy HomePod, though it would bring in some new sales to those who wouldn’t have bought otherwise.

I could see it happening with a legit move into home theater but all in all, the potential sales may be too low for Apple to worry about. Are they really going to bother with something that might only sell on the order of a hundred thousand or so units a quarter?

Luke MacWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
When I could use Siri to play music from my iTunes library (on my home network), I will surely buy one or two. Else, what’s the point when you have no interest in Apple Music (or any other music streaming service)?

Reactions: KazKam

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I’ve been using one in Canada since it launched in February. I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit. Big mix of Reminders, HomeKit and timers via Siri, and more recently really liking AirPlay 2 for music. Mine is in the kitchen, which is open through a large living room where there is an Apple TV. Playing music to both really fills the space nicely.

Coupe things I wish they would improve:

-making phone calls. I frequently attempt to make a phone call via Siri only to be told that it can’t do that. It knows obviously what I’m trying, but I resort to making a call from my phone and then changing the audio device to the HomePod.

-multiple timers. With how frequently this gets discussed / criticized online I’m surprised this hasn’t happened already

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Buy a HomePod or don´t buy a HomePod?

I say take advantage of it. If you don’t like it, you have a 14 day return policy. It gives you a chance to experience it inside your own home and see if it meets your expectations. I think most actually are pleasantly surprised with experience with the HomePod sound and Siri works quite well with the sensitivity the microphone and commands.

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
HomePod sounds great except for the max volume which is too low. I have one connected to my Apple TV and usually it's fine, but it can be frustrating watching films/TV shows with a poor soundtrack because I have no way to turn up the audio any higher.

Reactions: Bswails and PR1985

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Please Apple, why can't the damm thing be ordered in Germany and shipped to Austria :confused:

K. Bayquoi

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
Canada...FINALLY!!! I had to pick up one when they first came out at $150 more than the going price on the (grey) market. Although a big Apple fan, I was insulted they left us out for soooo long. What was the problem, the language?? They have the language working on the phones for siri, why was it so difficult to move that to this speaker? I do like the speaker and will be buying another now, but gees Apple. I feel we were treated as second class citizens after spending so much money and commitment on your products. The sound of this speaker is great, siri still sucks compared to other voice recognition products, even with the addition of airplay 2. They really need to improve that, to stay current.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Anyway, I´m a bit late to the party as the availability slipped to July. I will listen to it in my Apple Store, in some weeks. I hope I can test it with my songs. That means METALLICA etc.

Edit: They would have it in my store. Nice. To bad that I´m sitting in a wheelchair and that I need someone to drive me to the store.

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Please Apple, why can't the damm thing be ordered in Germany and shipped to Austria :confused:

It will be soon I guess. Same matter as the Canadian or US pronouncing issues - and those obviously have been sorted out. Alternatively, get yourself a German Apple ID and do a short trip to Munich

Last edited:

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
What happens if your iOS device has Siri in a language not supported by HomePod? Is that scenario supported? I keep switching between Siri in English and Dutch. Dutch Siri understands local addresses and contacts, English Siri is more capable and works with Apple Music. Very annoying we can’t have both.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I like mine and will probably buy a second one some time in the next few months. As a digital speaker and HomeKit hub, it's very good. But it does highlight the limitations of Siri.

[Edit] I don't use Siri voice commands to select music though, because she's not very talented when it comes to classical. Instead, I queue things up using the Remote app Apple makes for iOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTmom2wp

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
When I could use Siri to play music from my iTunes library (on my home network), I will surely buy one or two. Else, what’s the point when you have no interest in Apple Music (or any other music streaming service)?
Finally someone else in the world that doesn’t seem to get the hype of streaming services. I own the music I already like in iTunes, why should I pay monthly to maybe hear songs I like?

Hoenjet

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
When does Homepod come to Spain and Latin America. Is Spanish Siri still not ready for Homepod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.