HomePod Homepod's microphones reception worsen after a few days

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by lawhochun, Feb 22, 2018.

1. lawhochun macrumors member

I've noticed the microphone reception on my Homepod works less well after a few days, I have to shout for it to pick up my commands when playing music. It happened once, then I restarted the HP and it was fine again but after a few days it is happening again.

Anyone else has the same issue?

2. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

Ya ours went for maybe a day then it would come and go unplugging it would fix it for a bit I was thinking it was voiceover doing it but I guess not.

3. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors 6502

I noticed this as well, definitely seemed to start missing commands after few days. Anyone else experiencing this? It's the main reason I'm considering returning it for now.

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

FWIW, I've had mine for 10 days of heavy usage and have experienced no such thing. In fact, I discovered yesterday that I can go across the room and down a flight of stairs and talk to my HomePod without yelling.

5. lawhochun thread starter macrumors member

if others are having the same issue then hopefully it's a software bug that can be fixed with an update....

6. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Ditto

In fact, when there' s no music playing or other significant background sound such as my TV, I barely need to raise my voice above a whisper.

7. AdamA9 macrumors 65816

I've started to try to use Siri more and I have noticed that if I don't use it for a while, it doesn't pick up my voice on the first try. I have to wake it and then I can use it.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Same. Last week it wasn't responding to me as well as it was the day I unboxed it. HOWEVER testing it right now and I can't find fault in it. Weird, maybe a placebo, maybe I was mumbling, not sure what is/was going on.

9. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

NO issues here......
    I can be in the next room and speak normal volume with the music playing pretty loud....she responds like a good little girl . ;)

10. SDLiveGuy macrumors newbie

SDLiveGuy

I've had no issues so far after 4 days of using it.

11. deeside81 macrumors member

Yes same here. If not used for a day or 2 it becomes unresponsive and have to shout. Must be a bug.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

13. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

My HomePod is upstairs and my bedroom is downstairs. Every workday morning for two weeks I've asked Siri to turn on the upstairs lights while I'm in my bedroom, and every morning the lights are on when I go upstairs. No deterioration in hearing that I can tell.

14. lawhochun thread starter macrumors member

For me, the deterioration occurs only while the Homepod is playing music. At first HP is able to pick up my commands even when playing music at high volume, after a while its either I have to shout or it doesnt pick up my commands at all. If I unplug the HP and power it on again it works fine again until it doesnt..

15. deeside81 macrumors member

Ok I was having this issue. I had to shout and half the time it wouldn’t hear me. Power cycling fixed the problem. I hope I don’t have to keep doing this.

16. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

Same experience. The other day I felt like it was harder to invoke and use but right now I spoke with my regular voice, not raising it at all while music playing at about 40% volume, and it heard me and did wha5 I asked.

Kind of weird.

17. deeside81 macrumors member

That’s amazing. My HomePod has never been able to do that distance. Even if I shout to next door, HomePod being about 10 ft away. It never responds

18. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

If this is a bug and there’s a patch for it how do we tell if it’s up to date?

19. cynics macrumors G4

The location icon in the Home app and scroll down. I believe automatic updates is defaulted on.

20. canyonblue737, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

canyonblue737 macrumors 65816

I'm not saying this is what is happening but here is some anecdotal experience using Amazon Alexa for two years in every room of our house and now HomePod...

When you first get these devices, speaking to them seems unnatural. You think about what you are going to say and then speak clearly and fairly slow. Quiet or loud doesn't matter, its the pace and distinctiveness of the words. Once you get used to talking to them you begin have smoother more "normal" speech patterns where "Hey Siri, turn on the lights" all kinda slurs together and then what do you know... it begins to have difficulty recognizing speech. Without question our two HomePods are miles better at hearing quiet commands and commands over loud music compared to Amazon Echo units *but* they aren't immune to when we speak quickly without enunciating the words clearly. The more we got "used" to talking to Alexa/Siri we got the worse the recognition was until we began talking to it more slowly and clearly having to remember it isn't a human but a computer that hasn't gotten as good at recognizing speech as a real person.

21. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I could be right next to mine with no music playing and she still wouldn't respond. Like others, I unplugged it and it seems to have fixed it .. for now. I hope this can be fixe via software.

22. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I've definitely noticed this, except that I haven't reverted to sloppier speech, which might account for my continued success with HomePod. I've actually carried the habit into my normal life, trying to speak more clearly and concisely in every situation. I love that my HomePod keeps me conscious of it!

23. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

I am also having this concern while music is playing, I have owned HomePod apprx 2 weeks.

I typically listen to music / NPR between 70-80% volume and when I fist got HomePod i was impressed that I could activate Siri at normal or slightly above normal speaking volume.

I noted after a week that i was having to speak louder for the speaker to respond and a few times I had to say "Hey Siri" more than once. My concern has happened frequently with both music and NPR Fresh Air Podcast.

I think I have remedied my concern, or atleast for the time being.

After purchase I sat HomePod on a nightstand and have not moved, nor touched it. After noticing and verifying the activation concern I picked up the speaker, turned it sideways so it would recalibrate and placed it back in the same spot. It has worked properly for the last few days.

24. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I’m 15 days I’m now and I’ve had no microphone issues at all. Even when I’m next door in the kitchen I can ask it to do something and it responds, there is a door opening but no line of sight to the HomePod which is tucked round a corner in relation to the opening. I don’t even have to shout.

When I’m blasting my music out I only have to talk at a normal speaking level to be heard over the music, when I’m in the same room as the HomePod. In fact it’s one of the things I love most about the HomePod compared to my Echo 2, which I had to scream at to be heard over even moderate noise.

I’m very curious though as to why there doesn’t seem to be a consistency with this though. Other than the potential for some people to have defective devices, we should all have pretty much the same experience in this regard.

25. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

Just did it again. Doing things around the house, HomePod had responded to change stations / songs a few times, worked normally then quit responding to 'Hey Siri".

When concern happened I changed tone of voice a few times even yelling once and changed room positions a few times.

Yes I know a hard rock band is playing this instance and someone has suggested that it may not be able to hear clearly, but this has happened listening to Fresh Air on NPR, a talk show.

Here is a YouTube link'