Homophobes losing in the US, so they export their hate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 11, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/Print_Issue/Cover_Stories/Dangerous_Liaisons/

This article is really scary. Read the whole thing if you have time.

And American evangelicals are helping it get worse. Christians- read about what is being done in your name, by other American Christians. After you do, please help put a stop to it.

2. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Yeah, a lot of the homophobic hate crimes and violence in African countries aren't native ideas from those countries' cultures, but came from European and American missionaries over the years. :/ I remember having read a gay-themed Nigerian novel for a class I took last year about a guy who is outed as gay to his family, and the homophobia in that book was definitely of the Western Christian variety.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's hard for me to do anything but shake my head as I read this. :(

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The further you go in the article, the more frightening it gets. Evangelicals always talk as if they mean us no harm here in the US and that no Christian nation persecutes gay people, then go do things like this in Africa. They mean us harm- most definitely they mean us harm.

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Atta boy, round 'em up and get 'em in there. I hear Auschwitz has currently got room for 'em.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Like I said, read the rest of the article. That's just the tip of the iceberg. It gets much more frightening.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Who ever said the bible didnt teach compassion? He made it clear that the principal reason for not killing the gay people is because the bible says they can't!

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Here's more form the article:

http://www.advocate.com/Print_Issue/Cover_Stories/Dangerous_Liaisons/

This is serious, folks.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Please read what I posted again, as well as the article. The death penalty is still in the bill, they just changed the language.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Oh I see - wasn't aware of that. I thought the news here said it'd been dropped altogether..:confused:

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

What is wrong with these people? I'm just speechless that American "Christians" can support legislation that encourages these sorts of things.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You are? I'm not. These people are using Africans to vindicate their views. They don't care about anyone or anything but themselves.

Your reaction is probably the same most as Muslims after 9/11. They probably thought the same thing. Yet here we are. How many times do I have to say that the reasonable people within religion must reign in the radicals, not ignore them. Look what happens.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Had a little look around to see what was happening with it - it seems as though the consensus is that the Bill won't pass even in this newer form which might explain the lack of recent reporting on it. Even if it doesn't pass you can still get 14 years in jail for homosexuality.

The US Christian connection does looks to be a genuine and lesser known problem:

I think your govt. should reel these guys in in some way. Maybe some hate crime type offense. Maybe there's an International law of some sort you could get them with.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I reign in radical Catholics in my community whenever I encounter them, but sadly I have no pull over Evangelicals. I wish I knew how to get Christianity back on the right track, but I haven't figured it out. It's quite sad.

I try to discuss religion intelligently, but people just get divided into, "You're a godless heathen," and, "Religion is the most evil thing in the world;" the two groups become more and more separated and more and more insulated and more and more radical.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I really don't think that the fringe is as big as you think it is. Unfortunately its the loons at the extremes that are always ready and willing to participate and have the loudest voices, take the Tea Party for a perfect example.

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Except the radical atheists don't call for gay people to be killed.

18. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I don't think there is anything that has benefitted from the so called evangelicals.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

No but they do seem to want to jail people of religion, banned people who have religious beliefs from office. View people who have those beliefs as clueless and have no critical thinking skills, stupid and so on.

I would not be surprised if we looked hard enough we could find some of the very radical one wanting people of belief killed. Just the lack the funding right now to do anything or attract any real attention.
    This so called "Christians" doing this are not Christians at all and clearly are missing some of the largest points in the bible. Jesus would eat with the out caste of the time, made a point of treating the out cast kindly and would not let them be insulted. To people radical nut jobs the out cast are Gays. Well since they are out cast they should eat with them. Learn about them.....

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Case in point. Thank you for making my point better than I could have ever hoped to make it.

"I'm going to completely ignore the fact that radical atheists have killed religious people throughout modern history. I just want to demonize the opposing side." :rolleyes:

This is along the lines of the ignorant, "Christian countries don't kill gays," comment made by another poster here. Between the two of you, you've created the perfect microcosm of what's wrong with debate these days.

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Atheists are just normal people in that they include all types of people.

Christians are just normal people in that they include all types of people, who also have belief in a book full of old fairytales written by clueless, superstitious people before the dark ages that tells them bizarre contradictory information, some of which is to discriminate against other types of people.

The problem with asking for debate when you're a Christian is that you refuse to play fair. You just retreat to a corner and say, 'I have faith', no proof is needed.

People are dangerous enough as they are, but when they are fueled by some superstitious old book things get a lot worse.

That's why you can't compare Atheists to Christians. Christianity is human nature on crack.

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I will not be drawn into this "debate" again. It won't do anyone any good.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Jamaica has always been that way. We didn't have to go there and feed it.

Pretty much.

But I think we can agree that this kind of meddling in Africa's affairs needs to stop- and NOW.

Our government would never do that. It would be viewed as interfering with people's freedom of religion. Sad, but true.

Yes- please stop.

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Yes, and many of us believe that, but that doesn't change much. I want to let people do whatever they want if it doesn't harm me or infringe on the rights of others. They do not.

No problem, because evidently pointing out that your equating of radical christians and radical atheists shouldn't have been called into question. Here's the difference: Rodimus is right. There are certainly some radical atheists (like there are radical versions of anything) who want christians killed or religious people not to be able to hold public office, but the majority do not. Most atheists just don't want religion thrust onto them with their own tax money, that's all. It's the christians, and NOT JUST THE FRINGE GROUPS, who don't want to let gays marry and a ton of other issues they're trying to legislate just because it offends their christian sensibilities.