Homosexual marriage fails to get on California ballot

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Full of Win, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63B5N620100412

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...this time....

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The future for any society is secular and equality based. Too many throwbacks in seats of power holding us back from focusing on the necessary such as technology and the future of our planet. Equality has already been decided, if you're against it, just grind down on your teeth and count the days until you die because anything else is just time wasting.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Amen! :D

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

In other words, we are all fine with majority rule provided it supports our views, yet if the majority does not then they are just Luddites? This is not about people in power, this is about the Democracy in action. California is an example of why the US is a Republic. The majority can be cruel, the majority also tends to ignore vocal minorities, which in some cases is correct.

Technology will not save us. If anything it excuses more people from trying

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BS- no it's not about democracy. This is about protecting the rights of all people. If my civil rights can be voted away, then so can yours. That is not only dangerous, it's un-American. The majority is not supposed to be able to do things like this. It's unconstitutional.

If you hate America so much, why are you here?

8. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Where exactly does anyone have the right to homosexual marriage in the constitution?

9. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Most of the states have now said no and the popular vote is clearly against it - only the five most radical ones are pushing this issue now or have allowed it; the fact that its not even on California ballot shows that this is a dying issue.

10. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

With that said, we have to be vigilant that it remains dead.

11. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Psst, the US constitution is neither an exhaustive list of what humans should be entitled to, nor is it 100% perfect.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Where exactly does anyone have the right to heterosexual marriage in the Constitution?

13. Queso macrumors G4

This may soon be irrelevant anyway if Judge Walker rules Prop 8 unconstitutional.

14. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

This.

Now all it takes is for some clear-thinking person(s) in power to stop issuing state marriage licenses to any couple and start issuing civil union licenses to all.

Get government out of the marriage business. Let civil unions represent the legal aspects of the union for all couples and let people do what ever mumbo-jumbo they want to have it recognized by their invisible friend.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Any news on that? I haven't heard anything.

16. Queso macrumors G4

None as yet. Ever so often I check this site to see if there's any updates. Worth bookmarking.

http://prop8trialtracker.com/

17. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Nope. I think a ruling was expected toward the end of March. So we could be seeing one soon.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I believe it is under the 9th amendment which basically states that the government may deny basic human rights that were not listed in the bill of rights.

Prop 8 is being challenge in courts under the 9th amendment.

It should never of been allowed to be voted on by the people. You should never be allowed to vote on some one right. Other wise we could put to a vote that all gays should be killed and say the majority of the people want you dead and well tthen all gays would need to be killed if the majority voted that way. Yes it is to the exterme end here but it makes a valid point because this is what voting away the rights of gays to get married boils down to the same type of argument. People would be in out rage if something crazy like that passed but have no problem blocking their right to get married.

It is not going to matter how Judge Walker rules because no matter what he rules it is going to get kicked to a higher court and this is not going to end until it his the Supreme court. Until the Supreme court rules on it all the lower court ruling are not going to matter because they will just be appealed to a higher court.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why are we voting on whether or not other people can get married? Shouldn't this be a given?

20. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Don't tell me. Tell the closet cases upthread.:rolleyes:

21. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Yeah - but it has to start somewhere.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. There is absolutely no justifiable reason that homosexuals should be denied the right to wed.

Children need both a mother and father? Fine. Let's strip away the children of married service members who were killed in the war. Traditional family values? Fine. Lets go back to the tradition of fathers taking their teenage boys to brothels to teach them how to have sex. It will cause a massive rise in bestiality/incest/crime/etc.? Show me where that has happened.

I defy you to give me a reason they shouldn't marry. Just one. Because every single argument made against homosexual marriage was also used against interracial marriage.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Anyone? Full Of Win? InTheNet? Bueller?

Article and section, or amendment please.

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

This probably won't ever happen. There's too much money involved for the government to voluntarily remove its finger from that particular pie.

24. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Setting aside your rather loud bombast here, there is indeed ample justification for the defense of Traditional Marriage at the state level; Cornell University Law School provides a handy summation of Marriage Laws of the Fifty States; note well each state has codified laws well within state code chapters. Such a strong institution as marriage is safeguarded at the state with long-term codified law so that participants meet basic requirements. Abridging those requirements simply so a small minority can participate makes no sense.

The slippery slope here needs be examined; changing state marriage law for one minority group not choosing to follow minimum requirements opens it up for all, not the least of these would be consensual polygamous arrangements. I fail to see defense for denial for polygamy arrangements if states allow same sex marriage! And on and on like dominoes, all the rules society has held dear for defense of marriage for generations, one of society's most basic institutions, falling. Rather, most polls of Americans reveal strong support for Traditional Marriage laws as enumerated. As co-director of Empower America, Dr. Bill Bennett, maintained: "Marriage is not an arbitrary construct which can be redefined simply by those who lay claim to it. Broadening the definition of marriage to include same-sex unions would stretch it almost beyond recognition--and new attempts to expand the definition still farther would surely follow." (Newsweek/06-03-1996) In America people are free to do as they wish within broad parameters. Maintaining traditional marriage law, a broad parameter narrowly defined at the state level, for convenience of a small group that does not qualify, makes good sense! Safeguarding marriage law is a priority since marriage remains one of society's most important and basic institutions. As others have said on this issue, "The burden of proof ought to be on those who propose untested arrangements for our most important institution," not on states that maintain basic requirements for our most important social institution.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Do you plan on answering my question or are you going to ignore that too?