Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well the Ford Focus managed to pull off that feat in the US, even though the euro-version fared much much better.

Bet the US Focus factory workers are looking at that Civic factory and saying thanks.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Wow, I'm stunned!

How the hell did Peugeot keep out of the bottom two places??

I had a Honda Civic, not a single problem and it felt like it was solidly built. I could believe this more easily if it were a satisfaction survey, but reliability surprises me.

I wonder whether it had a specific common fault or just general problems?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Wow, I'm stunned!

How the hell did Peugeot keep out of the bottom two places??

I had a Honda Civic, not a single problem and it felt like it was solidly built. I could believe this more easily if it were a satisfaction survey, but reliability surprises me.

I wonder whether it had a specific common fault or just general problems?

The Si models( US at least) had an issue with 3rd gear popping out. Plus, it didn't help Honda wouldn't acknowledge the problem and insisted to owners they were an isolated incident. Honda after 2 years finally came up with a fix, but instead of a recall issues a Technical Service Bulletin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTpRuDhMV8

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
The Si models( US at least) had an issue with 3rd gear popping out. Plus, it didn't help Honda wouldn't acknowledge the problem and insisted to owners they were an isolated incident. Honda after 2 years finally came up with a fix, but instead of a recall issues a Technical Service Bulletin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTpRuDhMV8

Not the first time that a performance oriented car has had issues specific to areas of the car which will be the most abused. Think 16-18 year old kid, first car/stick, parents figure "hey, it's a Honda, even though it's sporty it'll still be a dead reliable car". Two months later, the clutch is slipping, or the trans is grinding, and above parents are taking said car to the dealership raising hell to the tune of "how dare you accuse MY kid of beating on this car???" I'm not saying Honda should get a free pass, but it's funny that problems like this always pop up more often on the sporty model of a given car.

Recalls are generally reserved for safety related issues such as leaking fuel lines or throttle cables that stick wide open. TSBs cover the rest. With such easy access to the internet, there's no reason anyone shouldn't be able to research common problems with their car so that they can be armed with information when they go to a dealer to have an issue addressed. The service manager's gonna have a hard time with the "isolated incident" BS if you walk in with a stack of print-outs from people on forums with the same problem.

My '06 Civic has 63k on it, and aside from oil changes and a $47 set of front brake pads, it hasn't cost me a dime. It's still as tight and quiet inside as it was the day I got it. By far the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not to mention the resale value of a Civic blows away pretty much anything else on the road.

PS: take a look at the "Related Videos" in the youtube link. Pretty much all racing clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWrfiEuJsV4&feature=related

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Not the first time that a performance oriented car has had issues specific to areas of the car which will be the most abused. Think 16-18 year old kid, first car/stick, parents figure "hey, it's a Honda, even though it's sporty it'll still be a dead reliable car". Two months later, the clutch is slipping, or the trans is grinding, and above parents are taking said car to the dealership raising hell to the tune of "how dare you accuse MY kid of beating on this car???" I'm not saying Honda should get a free pass, but it's funny that problems like this always pop up more often on the sporty model of a given car.

Recalls are generally reserved for safety related issues such as leaking fuel lines or throttle cables that stick wide open. TSBs cover the rest. With such easy access to the internet, there's no reason anyone shouldn't be able to research common problems with their car so that they can be armed with information when they go to a dealer to have an issue addressed. The service manager's gonna have a hard time with the "isolated incident" BS if you walk in with a stack of print-outs from people on forums with the same problem.

My '06 Civic has 63k on it, and aside from oil changes and a $47 set of front brake pads, it hasn't cost me a dime. It's still as tight and quiet inside as it was the day I got it. By far the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not to mention the resale value of a Civic blows away pretty much anything else on the road.

PS: take a look at the "Related Videos" in the youtube link. Pretty much all racing clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWrfiEuJsV4&feature=related

I say 3rd gear popping out can be a safety issue. Your accelerating and all of a sudden since the car pops out of gear you lose the power and suddenly slow down and boom get rear ended.

Seriously, stop blindly defending Honda because YOURS was reliable. One out of thousands of Civics is enough for you to say Civics are reliable and anyone that has a problem is spewing out crap? The Si's maybe driven a bit hard, but 3rd gear popping in this case is a defect since quite a few people are having it and isn't isolated to abusers. No automaker is perfect. Get that into your head. Not Toyota, BMW, Honda, etc. Toyota had to recall the Camry V6 with the 6 speed because it refused to shift into 2nd and 6th gear. They had to recall the Tundra for camshafts. BMW will probably have to issue a recall the 335i due to the High Pressure Fuel pump is failing. No one is immune. You want to know why? Because they were designed by humans and we humans tend to make mistakes. Look into the 3rd gear popping out issue. You will find that it is a real issue that Honda ignored until now.

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
I say 3rd gear popping out can be a safety issue. Your accelerating and all of a sudden since the car pops out of gear you lose the power and suddenly slow down and boom get rear ended.

That's quite a thin arguement. Might as well recall every car ever made then and install a sensor that'll trigger the brake lights as soon as you lift the throttle by your logic.

Seriously, stop blindly defending Honda because YOURS was reliable. One out of thousands of Civics is enough for you to say Civics are reliable and anyone that has a problem is spewing out crap?

Exactly how am I "blindly defending Honda"? I specifically said I didn't think Honda should get a free pass, I just find it ironic that issues related to powertrains seem more likely to happen in the sportier model cars, I wasn't referring to Honda, but all cars in general. My experience with my car may be just one example, but the statistics don't lie. Sure, all cars have problems at some point but I'm alot more confident that the frequency of those problems will be alot wider than if I was driving, say, a Cobalt or Focus.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
That's quite a thin arguement. Might as well recall every car ever made then and install a sensor that'll trigger the brake lights as soon as you lift the throttle by your logic.

It can happen. It all depends what the person behind is doing and if he/she is paying attention. No I am not saying that every car should be a recalled for a trigger to turn on the brake lights, but I was replying that it can be a safety issue. Frankly any major defect( IMHO, a faulty transmission is a major defect) should be a recall and not a TSB. A TSB should be for instance a rattle in the sunshade on a sunroof or a software reflash for the transmission.

Exactly how am I "blindly defending Honda"? I specifically said I didn't think Honda should get a free pass, I just find it ironic that issues related to powertrains seem more likely to happen in the sportier model cars, I wasn't referring to Honda, but all cars in general. My experience with my car may be just one example, but the statistics don't lie. Sure, all cars have problems at some point but I'm alot more confident that the frequency of those problems will be alot wider than if I was driving, say, a Cobalt or Focus.

Sorry, I was in a bad mood and sped read your post. It seemed to me you were saying the drivers abused the car and was the root of the problem. The youtube video didn't help either. My apologies.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Axe made by Vikings!!!!

My 18 year old Volvo 740 has done 355K (220,000 miles) has moved house for me all over Europe and has no rust whatsoever. My garage, seldom visited, says the engine was designed by the Brits (BMC) in the 1960's. It hasn't been serviced for 2 years and has never broken down. Is it on the list?:D

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
So the Civic is the Most Unreliable Medium sized car, but the Civic Hybrid is the most reliable large car? :confused: And the Lexus RX as an "off-roader" :D HA!

Big ups for Scooby getting in the top 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.