Honest Question: what will conservatives do if they win in 2012?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tasslehawf, Mar 2, 2012.

1. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I am so curious about this. I would like to see a Republican win the White House, because I'm so tired of all the hate.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Repeal the legislation passed by the previous administration. Start a war with Iran. Continue doing what everyone else has been doing for the last 50 years.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are we talking presidential election? Senate?

I'll just say this, the next President will likely have 2 appointments to the Supreme Court.

4. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

Let just say theoretically GOP wins the WH, House and Senate.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Take credit for good things that happen else blame Obama. Repeat.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Declare war on Iran, repeal the healthcare law, reinstate DADT, and undoing as much of the progress we've made over the past 50 years as possible.

7. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if this will diminish the hate in this country? Probably not. Though it would be nice not to hear anyone complain about the liberal media or the liberal agenda.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

why would you think they would stop complaining about the liberal media? They'd still need somebody to blame for everything

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

One thing is for sure- they'll do everything they can to roll back the rights of gay people. They've done it before, they'll do it again.

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

Probably the same thing that Barack Obama will do. Keep on trucking with the good ole' MIC, pander to corporations, and try and control the citizens more.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry, but how is Obama trying to "control the citizens"?

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

continuation of patriot act, continuation of NSA, continuation of secret prisons, etc...

13. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

I agree, it was inexcusable to extend the unPatriot Act. But Obama certainly has discontinued black sites and rendition and trying to close Guantanamo (which certainly wasn't part of his legacy). NSA isn't a new government department... and one that isn't specifically an affront to civil liberty.

----------

Yeah but we could look forward to learning about the glory of jesus in school!

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, those do need to go.

15. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

One thing is for certain, if they behave like Bush it will increase hate for your country.

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well he could have ended the NSA. I'm not blaming him for creating it, but continuing it.

And he has the authority to shut down GITMO. It's a military function. He could just be like, close it and leave now and all the troops have to do it. There have been sites like that for a long time. I don't really fault Bush for "creating" it anymore than I do obama. But Obama promised to close it.

Also, secret prisions in AFghanistan and stuff. Those are still there.

17. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

The NSA is not inherently an affront to civil liberty. It was formed in 1952 and focused on cryptography, particularly in relation to securing information.

I'm sure Obama wants to shut down the prison in Guantanamo. Unfortunately it is filled with people that nobody wants and if they didn't already hate the US, probably do after years of torture under the Bush administration.

Evidence?

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

and has expanded to warrantless wiretapping and the like.

Quit putting the blame on the Bush admin. It doesn't do anybody any good to sit around and point fingers.

Obama could just put them in US prisons with charged crimes, or send them back to where they came from.

Seriously haven't heard of these? Not trying to be a jerk I just can't believe somebody hasn't heard of these.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/08/afghanistan-secret-prison_n_846545.html

19. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

And who directed them to do so? Again, it makes no sense to abolish an entire department because they were tasked to do something essentially unlawful. There is value in the primary task of the NSA; securing information.

Another Bush apologist. If you really believe these are genuinely good solutions then I don't know what else to say. Yes, let's incarcerate them for life because we scooped them up, imprisoned them without evidence and tortured them for eight years. Easy as sweeping crumbs under the rug.

These are not equivalent to the rendition practices/network/cover-up by the Bush administration.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

One thing Republicans would love to do is further weaken any oversight on big corportations and financial dealings on Wall Street.

Most Republicans also support criminalizing abortion and gay marriage. Legislation to that effect would surely be put forth under a more conservative government.

Republicans would also spend a lot of money on fortifying the US-Mexican border and staffing it with a significatly greater military presence. It would look like the Berlin Wall.

Republicans will do worse on all of these issues. They spearheaded their creation, and have fought hardest to keep them running.

Both parties are guilty, but the GOP are decidedly more hawkish.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

than what is the CIA for?

Not at all. I'm just tired of hearing people just blame Bush instead of focusing on fixing the problems.

No. I'm saying we should either charge them with crimes and try them, or release them.

I don't really care what administration does it. Any extent of this is bad, whether Obama has done it to a lesser degree doesn't make it any less bad and worthy of removal.

----------

The Democrats haven't fixed it, despite being in power.

Well Obama sure hasn't done anything. So?

That's not really a big deal in itself. Though I think we should allow free total immigration to the US.

To me, it only makes sense that if you're going to have government run programs, that those who pay taxes receive the benefits. So if aliens are coming to the US, receiving benefits, and not paying taxes, that seems quite unfair.

How many democrats voted against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

I agree, generally. Though I think the Democrats are on track to keep up the disasters initiated by the Republicans. See Libya for an example.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then sweep the Republican party of the face of the political map.

Hate will vanish.

23. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Foreign intelligence gathering.

That would be fine except that people pin the problems created by the Bush administration on Obama.

Release them where?

Didn't say I disagree. But they still are not similar practices. The Bush administration was clearly trying to circumvent law.

Fixed what? Abortion remains legal. It is GOP pandering to its religious base that does threaten the right of a woman's choice.

Done more than the GOP would. There is a lot of resistance to the changes needed to get big money out of politics. Does that surprise you? There is little evidence to suggest Romney or any of the other GOP candidates would pursue the topic with any enthusiasm.

Mighty liberal of you. I disagree with free immigration but that is a topic for another thread.

How many were given correct information rather than fabricated evidence?

Yes, Libya is on par with invading Iraq.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The title of the thread is "What will conservatives do if they win in 2012?", not "What have the Democrats done lately?" What do you think the Republicans will do in 2012?

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Why are we gathering intelligence on Americans?

Isn't that the FBIs job?

The real problem is the government in general. And Obama should be accountable for continuing Bush's practices.

Wherever the hell they were taken from.

It's a moral issue, not a legal one.

regulation issues on wall street.

well that's good.

he did exactly nothing. gay marriage is still illegal.

you either legalize it, or you don't.

and when we were presented with somebody who would, they didn't fix the problem. they're both bad

yeah no sense in bringing this off topic.

just as many as the republicans I would assume.

I'm not saying it is. But the idea is.

meddling in foreign affairs.

----------

and my answer to that is continue the same thing the democrats are doing, which i talked about on the first page.