Honest review on bodyguardz, come in before you make decision [Pics]

ken0126

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
I received my two packs of bodyguards a few days ago. I open only one pack (contains 2 sets), one set of sides (the one covers the button)is completely distorted. I did send the pic to bodyguardz but no reply yet after 2 days.

I will be very honest to judge this product:
Pros:
- so called strong protection against scratches
- easier to apply by using the glue compared to the previous spray

Cons:
- Really feel awful on the looking and feeling. Though there are no visible bubbles, you can see and feel the surface of the protector is not smooth. It may does not matter the back but definitely matter the screen that u need look at at all the time.

- Horrible cut. The back, as you can see from many pics posted by other fellows, it's not perfectly cover all the edges, actually there is about 1-2mm distances from the edge.

- The material they used definitely is oil magnet. You have to keep cleaning it with micro fibre.

Conclusion: Compare to other similar products, bodyguardz is cheap but still not worthy. Trust me, you won't keep it on your phone for a long time.

Attachments

Last edited:

ken0126

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Some pics above from fellows in the forum, add in new pics of mine below, it's the back and front after I only hold the phone for a few mins (oil magnet):

Attachments

Last edited:

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
I agree with you. The back piece is horrible. I am VERY disappointed in the quality (and I use that term very loosely) with this product.

iSheep89

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
I bought this product and it is terrible. The back piece looks cheap and the cut isn't right. I recommend the icarbons skins for the back.

ken0126

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
I agree with you. The back piece is horrible. I am VERY disappointed in the quality (and I use that term very loosely) with this product.
Yes. I don't really think people will like this product as well so I choose to voice out to let people know about this product.

----------

I bought this product and it is terrible. The back piece looks cheap and the cut isn't right. I recommend the icarbons skins for the back.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I saw the icarbons cut is super nice. Recommend to those who like carbon skins.

I also saw Phantom Skinz is very nice, they offer the option of matt back and side protectors.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
FYI mine was very bubbly when first installed, but it has cleared up significantly. I posted pictures in the other thread. I agree over 2mm is exposed around the edges on the back, but I'm using a bumper so it's probably better so the film doesn't lift. I'm not using the front screen so can't really comment on that, but the texture would probably annoy me.
I will probably take the back off when my iCarbon arrives though.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Could it be cut to allow the bumper?
And OP, when you're going to do an "honest" review of a product, do take the time to wipe down the device prior to photographing and use appropriate lighting conditions and avoid giant flash spots on the device. Basically, it is difficult to really see that this is a terrible product from the photos you've left.

ken0126

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
FYI mine was very bubbly when first installed, but it has cleared up significantly. I posted pictures in the other thread. I agree over 2mm is exposed around the edges on the back, but I'm using a bumper so it's probably better so the film doesn't lift.
I will probably take it off when my iCarbon arrives though.
It seems iCarbon got a big no. of fans here. It should have some marketing strategies like bodyguardz to offer discount codes in the forum, I believe its sales will be increased significantly.

----------

Could it be cut to allow the bumper?
And OP, when you're going to do an "honest" review of a product, do take the time to wipe down the device prior to photographing and use appropriate lighting conditions and avoid giant flash spots on the device. Basically, it is difficult to really see that this is a terrible product from the photos you've left.
It has two options when you make the purchase, one is case-friendly which it mentioned the cut will be not reaching the edge but I didn't choose that one.

For pics, the first batch at #1 is to show the terrible cut, the #2 is to show its oil magnet (I only hold the phone for a few mins, then it's like this. I know most clear version protectors will be oil magnet as well but i feel bodyguardz is even worse)

soundtracker

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
It seems iCarbon got a big no. of fans here. It should have some marketing strategies like bodyguardz to offer discount codes in the forum, I believe its sales will be increased significantly.

iCarbons.com has codes on their FB/Twitter pretty often. There is a Columbus day flash sale today for 25% off with code Flash25, good til midnight

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
This may sound like a stupid question, but I've got to ask.....

I went on the iCarbons website for the first time and saw what they called the "iPhone 5 Dark Wood". It can cover the front, back, and sides or you can get them separately if you like.

My question is this. Is this really made out of wood? Or is it some kind of film made to look like wood?

It looks nice via my laptop, but I wonder if it is not made of wood, how it looks in real life?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
let me follow that through with some $1.50 film that spanks all day long on premium film........

Generik AG/AF front from amazon
Xtreme Guardz 80% off film for rear.

s2smooth4u

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
How thick is the xtreme Guardz back? I hate how thick and rubbery this body guardz feels.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
How thick is the xtreme Guardz back? I hate how thick and rubbery this body guardz feels.
I have no caliper but does not bother me at all for thickness since it is on the back and usually in a speck or otterbox case. The rubbery feel is there for sure and being on the back I don't care. I only use these guardz type protectors for sides and body. I prefer a glass or premium screen protector for the front. I don't really feel bad when I take it naked very rarely since it has front and back protection. Honestly I don't care about the scratches since it is white and I have an apple store within 5 minutes and easily get it swapped out with the genius bar either using applecare+ or just regular warranty. Mine sits in a case all day long and works like any other phone does.

soundtracker

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
This may sound like a stupid question, but I've got to ask.....

I went on the iCarbons website for the first time and saw what they called the "iPhone 5 Dark Wood". It can cover the front, back, and sides or you can get them separately if you like.

My question is this. Is this really made out of wood? Or is it some kind of film made to look like wood?

It looks nice via my laptop, but I wonder if it is not made of wood, how it looks in real life?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I had this on my 4S and its really nice in person. Its a nicely textured good quality vinyl with a woodgrain feel. Go on the site to the 4/4S to see better pics.

s2smooth4u

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
I have no caliper but does not bother me at all for thickness since it is on the back and usually in a speck or otterbox case. The rubbery feel is there for sure and being on the back I don't care. I only use these guardz type protectors for sides and body. I prefer a glass or premium screen protector for the front. I don't really feel bad when I take it naked very rarely since it has front and back protection. Honestly I don't care about the scratches since it is white and I have an apple store within 5 minutes and easily get it swapped out with the genius bar either using applecare+ or just regular warranty. Mine sits in a case all day long and works like any other phone does.
Thanks I just ordered two back protectors.

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
I had this on my 4S and its really nice in person. Its a nicely textured good quality vinyl with a woodgrain feel. Go on the site to the 4/4S to see better pics.
Thank you Soundtracker for your reply. I love how my white iphone 5 looks naked, but I think I will order this and wait to use it for if and/or when my phone gets scratched up as it looks like it will cover everything but the screen which I will have protected by the bodyGuardz Pure Glass screen protector.

Thanks again.