Honestly, do you guys think the Blackberry Bold is 3G iPhone competition?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, May 12, 2008.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68020

The phone does look very nice in pictures, however does it really have features and ease-of-use that will draw iPhone users towards it? I have read several websites where analysists say that the iPhone better catch up or the Bold proves to be a true competitor.

IMO I don't think Apple should be worried. The iPhone is very attractive to millions of people and with 3G and probably more hardware upgrades, I doubt the Bold will pull ahead in sales. The hype of the new iPhone (with 3G and all)+the features/apps store for the iPhone are going to draw even more people away from the Blackberry. Thus making the Bold, no competition at all except for the people who love their Blackberrys and need that physical keyboard?

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Software wise, the iPhone with firmware 2.0 will crush any phone. There's no doubt about it.

Now hardware wise...

You compared to 3G iPhone? Well rumors are that there's GPS. If that's so, the only thing the Blackberry Bold will have over the iPhone is the presence of real keys...and the fact that they run on their own network (dunno if that's good or bad).

3. iphonewiz macrumors regular

It's an attractive unit, but it's still a Blackberry. With the release of the iPhone 2.0 upgrade along with the support for third party apps, the amazing capabilities on the horizon will put the iPhone on another level.

4. viggen61 macrumors 6502

To paraphrase a well-known campaign slogan: "It's the user interface, stupid"

I don't think the Bold is any competition to the iPod. Sure, it'll grab those who prefer "real" keys, or who are upgrading, but that's about all. It's not a sea change like the iPhone was.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next official iPhone update. In the meantime, enjoying all the speculation and rumor... :D

5. MetBook macrumors member

Blackberry Bold: True Competitor

(Someone can post up a pic for people).

My thoughts: The Blackberry line has been established for a while now and has thus found its niche (its benefits, limitations, etc.) The iPhone is still new and people don't exactly know where the device is headed. It could change cellular phones the way Microsoft changed the home computer. It could also be isolated to the Mac-friendly fanbase, suitable for the 18-35 year old market. I believe the new Blackberry Bold is the best device that RIM can come out with. I think they're working to make their e-mail and internet capabilities perfect so that their market of "business professionals" have no choice but to choose their product. Apple (as I've said) is still searching for the type of impact, still looking for their precise identity of what the iPhone will eventually become. The new 3G iPhone is expected to be a subtle step up from the previous version while the coming few years will truly tell where the iPhone stands.

The point i'm making here is that RIM looks like they've done a terrific job in forcing people to choose the device that is best given their needs. It's not the same as the computer market today where most people who buy a PC over a Mac know that they might have buyer's remorse. The Blackberry Bold is sleek, sexy, and stylish and the interface looks to be simple, efficient, and as close to flawless as a device can get. RIM has proven with this new device that they are a true competitor and Apple needs to continue to step up and prove the ways in which their iPhone will beat the competition.

6. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68020

I admit the blackberry bold is SEXXYYYY, BUT the iPhone's UI is still easier to use and the iPhone has a much bigger screen. Those 2 things IMO are 2 great selling points that the iPhone has.

7. stevehp macrumors 6502

RIM does make great products, but
    I'd argue that

I think this is backwards...I think RIM needs to continue to step it up...I see the Bold as a direct push to compete with the iPhone...even look at the marketing and typefaces they are showing off.

I wonder when the bold would have been unveiled if the iPhone never existed.

8. MetBook macrumors member

to contest your argument... blackberry knows what they're good at... they have the market of business professionals... its 100% understandable... apple knows this... apple chose to not have a keyboard on the phone and they believe its best for them... the world disagrees - its widely known that they keyboard is easier to use... people love to be able to touch a button and feel themselves typing... apple believes in time this could change however apple isnt targetting business professionals yet.... blackberry just needs to make the best device they can for wat their market is.... apple is the one that has to win peoples hearts... apple needs to improve this aspect or else no business professional will switch over... (im making some slight generalizations so dont pick a part each sentence out of context... my point is even the biggest apple advocate must admit when theres a portion of the market another company attracts better)

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you're a serious business person, get a Blackberry.

If you do light business work / consumer, get an iPhone. There is nothing better that has the functionality and ease of use.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

On what grounds is the Bold a true competitor?
    Let's be specific :)

We do know where it's headed, and the stuff we don't know is an expansion on what we do know. It is already changing cellular phones - look at the rate of copycat touch screen phones coming out!
    It isn't isolated to mac fans to my knowledge - i know several women with it, and have seen people of all ages buy it at Apple stores and at O2. Apple will have the data, but suffice to say it's appealing to a broader range than you make out.
    RIM is between a rock and a hard place, as Apple has shown Enterprise they are serious in taking RIM on, and they're outgunning RIM's Blackberry handsets (Bar heavy keyboard usage). Business professionals have more of a choice very soon, and Apple has taken a lot of excuses away from any IT department (Microsoft Exchange support, remote wiping, VPN, etc etc).

The new 3G iPhone isn't going to be a "subtle step" at all. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary perhaps - but it's going to have a HELL of a lot of evolution in all areas, and a lot added that isn't in the current version. By July we'll see what :D

RIM has had a captive market, and been market leader primarily as there hasn't been anyone competing against them. That's going to change sharpish.
    People's expectations for business will be raised by Apple's entrance into the area, and that's a good thing.

For RIM to prove it's a worthy competitor to Apple - the proof is keeping it's marketshare in the next 6- 12 months, and not have it taken away by Apple.

PS You may be able to add pics yourself (Edit your post, advanced edit, manage attachments, add a photo from google image perhaps).

11. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

The Blackberry is a definitely competition for the 3G iPhone simply because of one reason, it's a 3G Blackberry.

Blackberry's are the most used Enterprise phones in the world. As it stands right now Apple have 0% of the Enterprise market simply because v2.0 is not commercially available.

But it's the Enterprise market that Apple really want - that's where the money is to be made. Companies with hundreds of people each needing an Enterprise handset.

Blackberry's are used heavily in the corporate world by all sorts of businesses (as is Windows Exchange).

I'm a little disappointed that iPhone 2.0 doesn't yet have the possibility of using it's own version of Blackberry Connect - just like some Symbian phones can do.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd bet you a fair few in the Enterprise have an iPhone already. CEO/Boss privileges, or just for private use. Others will have a 3G version very very soon.

Expect that %age to change within the week. (I thought it was already in part of some "organizations created for business ventures" anyhow?)
    E.g. From this article:

Another counterpoint would be Apple's iPhone Enterprise Beta Program - which allows IT departments to try iPhone 2.0 software before its general release.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I echo this statement. However, in my experience BBs have made some piss poor phones. At least my 8700 series have sucked badly.

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/ataglance/connect/

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/enabled/

How exactly does this relate to Apple, seeing as Apple is solely interested in getting push to Apple products?

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

That'd be cool for the shops that run Notes or Groupwise, but for the huge amount of Exchange shops, the Exchange Activesync that Apple licensed from Microsoft for the iPhone 2.0 provides similar results without the overhead and expense of a RIM BES, no?

16. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

The Blackberry Curve series and Pearl series are good phones.

My work phone is a Blackberry Curve 8310 while my personal phone is an iPhone (8 months now).

The reason why Blackberry Connect would be great on the iPhone is that all you would have to do is download the Blackberry Connect software for the iPhone and get your service provider to add the Blackberry Internet Service on your price plan (non-iPhone price plan's only).

This would then get you push email using Blackberry's well established and reliable push email system without having to have either a Blackberry Enterprise Server (expensive) or Windows Exchange server (awkward for Mac OS X users).

I really hope that the iPhone makes some serious headway into the Enterprise sector of the mobile market as I love my iPhone. But in order for it to do that Apple will first have to stop any network exclusivity.

In the UK adding the Blackberry Enterprise Server option onto an individual price plan (on Vodafone) costs an extra £28 a month on your price plan. This requires that you or your company has a Blackberry Enterprise server in the home/business. This gives you full Enterprise/Exchange integration.

Adding the Blackberry Internet Service on your price plan (on Vodafone) is only an extra £5 a month on our new May 2008 price plans. This doesn't require the user to have access to a Blackberry server as the service is provided over the air from Blackberry & Vodafone, themselves. This is a much cheaper option for individuals that provides push email & internet - but not full Exchange integration.

Blackberry Connect software supports both BES and BIS and would be a welcome option on iPhone 2.0, especially if provided by RIM Blackberry themselves. BIS makes things even easier and cheaper than Activesync, I believe.

17. SFgadgetman macrumors member

There is No Real Competition with the iPhone.

Has anyone noticed how every new smartphone on the market has a chrome frame just like the iPhone? What's up with originality? It's all about copying the iPhone from here on out.

Until a company can create something as attractive, feature packed and user friendly there will be no real competition.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The Crackberry will only be a true challenger to the iPhone when the press starts calling the iPhone a Blackberry killer.:eek:

19. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Oh no, it's not competition.

It's a killer.

Seriously, instead of talking about v2.0 vapourware and a unit that hasn't been released yet you should actually consider what the Bold offers.

20. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

One thing I hope is that Apple irons out some severe connectivity issues with ActiveSync. I have had a hell of a time getting the 2.0 betas to work with the Exchange server at work and I'm definitely not alone. Some people have no problems, some have zero connectivity, like me.

While the iPhone, which I love by the way, has gobbled up a lot of the smart phone market, I'd be curious what percentage of that market share is in the Enterprise sector. Obviously, 2.0 is going to bring some sweeping changes, but so far at my company, Push email and the iPhone are not best friends.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And yet there are new threads about Blackberry here on almost a daily basis. What's this parade of defensiveness about then? Assuaging unspoken buyer's remorse? :p

22. pr5owner macrumors 65816

you might want to check your dates, brushed aluminum and chrome trims have been on windows mobile phones since 2003

23. pr5owner macrumors 65816

LOL the 3G iphone is just barely getting on par with phones 2 years old

GPS, A-GPS, VGA, 3.5G Video calling have all been out for more than 3+ years

hell the HTC Universal had a VGA (640x480) Touch screen, 3G Video calling and a full sized keyboard from 2005.

right now as it currently stands, the iphone is the most crippled phone ever to be released, it does so little in terms of software functionality that the Razr V3x can slaughter it in alot of areas. the HW on the other hand is decent.

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

LOL maybe if you hang out on howardforums.com, but for the majority of the rest of America, this will be one of their first real chances to try out a lot of these technologies without having to pay $600+ for a phone imported by Expansys that their carrier won't support.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have to say, I like the Blackberry Bold. I looks pretty impressive. I look forward to actually seeing one. Most reviews so far are impressed.