Honestly, sick to death of my battery since Lion.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Oct 9, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I used to get a good 5-6 hours on the battery. Now I get less than 2 hours on Lion. I've tried EVERYTHING!

I have a 15", i7, 8GB. Running Lion.

Any ideas so far? anyone experiencing the same problem?

2. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

3. vastoholic, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

My 13" i5 runs about the same as before. I might get slightly less but I can't honestly compare as I haven't had either OS long enough to make a real comparison. I'm still getting 4-5 hours on mine watching movies, Internet, email, Aperture, etc.

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

This is why I went back to Snow Leopard. I like Lion well enough but I went from 7-8 to 4-5. I'm waiting on .2

5. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

are you leaving your browser running more in its own "space"? If so, then flash banners and videos may be destroying your life.

Other than that, it can't be normal. If it's in warranty, bring it back. I get about 5.5 on my 13" which is about that same as I got before under similar usage.

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

7. captainamerica macrumors member

Maybe you're doing it wrong; I've got a mid 2010 15" base i5 running Lion with third party ssd and memory upgrade, and battery life is fine.

I don't take my charger to college with me. I take notes on my laptop and usually have 6 hours of lecture per day. I've had zero issues with battery. In fact, I haven't come home with less than 40% charge.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Take a look at the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    NVRAM has nothing to do with battery, charging or power issues. Resetting it will not help.

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I'm exactly in the same boat. Even a clean install of Lion didn't help.

10. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I reset my PRAM, SMC, and all of those affiliate things, and one of them worked, because my battery life went from 3 to 6 hours. Not as good as the 9 hours I got in SL, but it's acceptable.

11. ale500 macrumors regular

Since AdBlock for Firefox/Chrome there are no more flash banners. If you like advertisement but want to keep flash at check, then clicktoflash or similar are a good option. In Camino, it is just built-in :).

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

To me any loss of battery life is not acceptable. I think we'll be back to normal as lion progresses but until then I'll just stay with the old stand by..

I'v got my lion clone in the external just waiting

13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Then please explain to me how my battery life went up 2 hours with the same usage after I reset my NVRAM.

14. cfII macrumors regular

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Haha, then why didn't the other ones I do daily help?

I'm not trying to attack, i'm just wondering why you're so insistent it can't do anything when it can't hurt to try.

17. Molson1020 macrumors regular

I just downloaded gfxcardstatus 2 today and noticed after installing it and switching to "Integrated Graphics" only that my battery life jumped up from 2-3hrs to 6-7 hrs!!! I'm on a 2011 17" MBP by the way.

18. B.LI macrumors regular

Im currently running a similar spec MBP as yours on Lion and I still get a decent 5-6 hours of battery life.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the links I provided, you'll see what's stored in PRAM/NVRAM and when to reset it. It's not magic and it's not a cure-all. It has very specific purposes, and power/charging/battery issues are not among them. Resetting the SMC does have an effect on such issues.

20. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I have read the links! But that doesn't explain the magic that happened when I reset it... isn't it possible Apple's not telling the whole story? It has happened before, after all :p

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Without knowing everything about your situation, it's impossible to tell what happened or what factors were involved. The fact remains that resetting NVRAM doesn't affect battery/power/charging issues, for you or anyone else.
    Not likely.
    Facts?

22. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Why not switch back to Snow Leopard? I did - still love this version of OSX over the new one.

23. escogido macrumors member

In the beginning, probably due to indexing, I was getting max 2-3 hours... Now I easily get 4 hours with full brightness and surfing the entire time, if I kill the brightness to 60-70% i get 5-6 hours...sooo not sure what you're doing wrong...