Honey Maid's surprising response to anti-gay backlash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Apr 4, 2014.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Heard about this on the radio this morning.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I keep getting an error, when I try to watch the video. What is in the video?

Hugh

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Progress.

[sorry for the one word answer PRSI]

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That was beautiful. I'm pleasantly surprised at the rate of change and acceptance occurring in our society right now. What an incredible phenomenon.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I hope it keep going at this rate or faster.

7. vega07 macrumors 65816

It's so wonderfully affirming to claim that love does conquer hate.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It seems that some time around 2012-2013 we reached a tipping point and after that it became impossible to bring that ship back once it sailed.

You know, a lot of people said the the end of the Mayan calendar on December 21, 2012 was never supposed to be the end of the world, but rather the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. Maybe there was something behind it. Maybe we've entered a new enlightenment/renaissance era. One can only hope the Mayans were onto something here....

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That was a fantastic video, I am so glad that I watched it. It is things like this, that really do RESTORE my faith in America.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Cheeky and revealing.

Cheeky: What they did with all the hate mail. :D
    Revealing: Showing the true ratio so clearly.

Nice to see thought and effort put into advertising. Rare.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

They made a commercial that showed to dads and got a bunch of hate mail for it, so they had two artists take the hate mail, print it out and roll it up and they spelled the word "Love" with it then they took all the positive mail that they received, rolled it up into paper tubes as well and surrounded the world love with that and there were a lot more positive notes than there were negative ones.

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I love it! The best bit is that you know some of the people who sent the hate mail will be even more furious now.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I can't imagine getting so filled with hate over something so positive. Bigots must have a sad life.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There are 270+ million of us, and growing, so we can't all be bad. We try, but it doesn't work. :p

16. dec. Suspended

dec.

Leaving the faction of people that sincerely refer to some mythological reasons like a "god" for their protest against gay marriage aside it often appears that less thoughtful people are getting upset because they are under the impression of the governments giving this special thing to gays while they aren't getting anything*.
    The stronger presence of LBGTs in the media due to the open political discussion of gay marriage probably doesn't help improve their views either as it's "oh there are the gays again wanting more stuff". I can't relate to that way of thinking but I can kind of see what makes certain demographics think along those lines.

(*which technically is wrong. The other day someone wrote in another thread that we all have "the right to marry anyone of the opposite sex that you choose". Well great news, gay marriage is available to EVERYONE, now we ALL have the "right to marry anyone of the same sex that we choose too" :D )

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Luckily, while I do know a few people who are opposed to gay people and their lives (looks at my parents), I don't think I know anyone who is vehemently opposed or uses words like "disgusting". If I do, they don't show it. But I think the vast majority of people I know are fully accepting of gay issues.

18. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

While the message is good, I didn't like the guesstimate rolling they did with the tubes. The positive messages were often rolled bigger than the negative ones thus allowing more area to be covered.

They should have used a template, so all of the tubes would have been roughly the same size. If there were 10 times as many positive responses the areas would have proven themselves out.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree. More scientific.

I didn't like how they made the positive tubes shorter then the negative tubes.

I would have kept them all the same height and varied the color of the paper ... perhaps a white and a 50% neutral gray.

20. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks Chrono, I'm still getting an error every time I try to watch it.

Hugh

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Yeah, but it was a art project, not a science exhibit.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It just shows you that trolling has roots that precede the internet:D. Comments by mail, letters to the editor, etc. This is how the elderly engage in trolling. It has a similar level of anonymity, allowing them to project their emotions without providing any real basis of reasoning, or simply try to obtain a reaction from other people.

They quoted a number in the video as being more than 10x as many. I suspect they wanted to represent the difference in some way. Regardless of how they rolled them, it's possible to make an approximation of the encompassed area. Given that these are directly bordering each other, if the sides are assumed to be flat, you end up with an approximate area of ground cover equal to the cross-sectional diameter squared. If it's bigger it has a linear effect on the given horizontal or vertical dimension and a slightly exponential one on the area of coverage. It does propagandize the art project somewhat, but I got a laugh out of how they dealt with people trolling their ad campaign.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

IMO, it's more communications art or graphic design. Where art values more ambiguity, graphic design values more communication of a message or information ... albeit normally with an artistic flair.

Clearly here Honey Maid was conveying a message and attempting in the process to show quantitative difference of responses. Rolling the tubes to a uniform diameter would remove any bias towards the positive vs. negative responses.

I don't want to get too picky over the matter. I just thought tunerX, who pointed it out, made a good observation.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I'll have to disagree. What you're describing sounds cold, calculated, and mechanical. What Honey Maid's artists created was warm and fuzzy.

Perfectly straight lines and precisely uniform components do have their place, but I don't think this is one of them. The randomness makes it seem more organic and natural.

Attached Files: