Honeycomb (Andriod 3.0 for Tablets) is vastly superior to iOS on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wikoogle, Jan 28, 2011.

?

Which is the superior OS for tablets?

1. The current iOS

90 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Honeycomb

44 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. I'm not sure

37 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. wikoogle, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I'm not talking about the iPad itself here, just the operating system that it's currently running.

iOS is fine for a smartphone, but as far as tablets are concerned, it's severely lacking in several areas. Porting it almost directly off of a smartphone OS led to numerous limitations...

Many more limitations posted at this link
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1081984

Honeycomb on the other hand was designed brilliantly, from the ground up, just for tablets. If you have any doubts that it's superior, read this article...

http://lifehacker.com/5744175/screenshot-tour-of-android-30-honeycomb-built-for-tablets

If you don't feel like reading, here is a short video that shows off just a tiny portion of the new features and tweaks made to Honeycomb...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPUGNCIozp0&feature=player_embedded

2. kamalds macrumors regular

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I think Honeycomb looks interesting, but my gut feeling is that Google has added unnecessary complication to the OS to compensate for a lack of useful software.

My position is that the success of a mobile OS is how well it gets out of the way and allows me to focus on what I am working on.

For those who like bells and whistles and lots of widgets, I am glad they have something like Honeycomb.

To those that are into Android, I am sure they will like it, but to me it just looks completely unpolished and amateurish.

4. JPanther macrumors newbie

I agree with you that iOS lacks some bells and whistles I would like to see...but on the other hand, its nice and simple, and super smooth.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one to try it out.

5. RedWings macrumors regular

Based on what I've seen from write-ups and videos, it has the potential to be a lot better....for me.

Are you serious or just messing with us?

Amateur compared to what? iOS? Because it doesn't get much more amateurish than iOS.

- A multi-tasking "dock" that doesn't actually multi-task. The dock does have most recent apps....but it'll go on and on and on with the last 11ty billion apps you opened instead of the last 5-6.

- No customization of the home screens. At all. Oh yea I forgot you can change just the wallpaper....now that screams non-amateur right there.

While iOS may be simple to use and polished looking, it lacks a lot of features that you should expect in a device at this price range and hardware specs.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's all conceptual until it is in the hands of the mass public.

7. Carouser macrumors 65816

A list of demands unconstrained by anything whatsoever does not constitute evidence of 'numerous limitations'.
    If by 'limitation' you mean 'something it does not have' then everything has infinite limitations.
    Even if those demands appear 'reasonable' it does not mean that they are limitations of the OS.
    Any limitations the iOS might have are not necessarily a result of iOS appearing on a smart phone.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have this ****ing crazy idea. How about we wait to have a poll on which OS is better until someone actually gets to try it out. :rolleyes:

9. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Fine, I'm glad that the concept of Honeycomb is going to be more useful for you. I made very clearly what I expect out of a mobile OS and iOS fits the bill perfectly with the 12 productivity apps that I use - Apps that most likely cannot be replicated on Android.

You know, and heaven forbid Google spend 15 minutes thinking about how things actually look.

You have your set ideas, I have mine. There is no need to question my seriousness of the topic.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Once again proving the amazing ability of demos of unreleased products to leave year old Apple products in the dust.

I read the article, but I'm still confused as to what is "vastly superior" to iOS for iPad other than the stuff that was already in Android. Different home screen layout, but "The home screens themselves are pretty similar to regular Android as far as functionality."

11. cecoleman macrumors regular

The difference is simplicity. My mom has an iPad, never owned an iPod or an iPhone before. I taught her to use it in one day of use. This Honeycomb tablet looks extremely complicated for an average user. While the UI looks futuristic and complex, I just don't think it will appeal to the average consumer. News flash for you... developers like to develop to a large audience not a niche group of nerds who spend more time customizing the devices than actually using them to be productive or consume media. Honeycomb still won't have the iTunes integration nor the industry accessory support than an iPad will have. So whether you think its more advanced or not, it will probably only look more advanced...not actually be more advanced.

12. RedWings macrumors regular

If using Android is 'complicated', then using Microsoft Windows must drive you insane.

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

You could also check out the HP/Compaq TC 4400. It even includes a built in keyboard.

Also for the ultimate in portabiliy there is www.oqo.com A little pricey at $2000, but.

So what is the difference between the Fijitsu and the other "full" Windows tablets that clutter our land
    fills ?

14. troyhouse macrumors 6502

wrong forum, much more appropriate at "androidrumors"

15. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Honeycomb certainly looks really good but I'm not going to get into fanatically supporting this or iOS as other posters have done. As an Apple fan I hope that Honeycomb proves to be very very good. Because this will push Apple to make iOS much more awesome! So no vote from me, both must have their pros and cons which I don't really know since I haven't used Honeycomb.

16. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

wait till the manufactures work their 'magic' on it. :rolleyes:

Nicely put. Apple will continue to develop iOS with or without Andriod, but I hope it pushes them a little harder. Then again what I have read on some of the Android forums, most Android users are not impressed with 3.0 or Xoom. And these are people that wouldn't get caught dead on MR.

17. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Now, for tablets, the only good thing about iOS is the app store. Honeycomb is better than iOS at everything, apart from tablet optimised apps. Google need to do something about tablet apps.

18. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Honeycomb will be different in this respect. It too has a "Recently Used" Apps list instead of a desktop style multi-tasking dock. The "Recently Used" list on Honeycomb does display screenshots of Apps which is a good improvement but I don't think that this is a fundamental difference in use. It would be different if separate items inside of an App (e.g. browser tabs, documents) appeared separately on the "Recently Used" list however I don't think that this is the case.

I think the differences between Android and iOS in multitasking are blown out of all proportion. This article gives a good outline of the multitasking systems and there are more similarities than there are differences. On both systems Apps are suspended when they go to the background, the user is not expected to manually quit Apps and the OS is able to kill suspended Apps to reclaim memory. Tasks that should run in the background have to be partitioned off from the rest of the App. On Android this is done by creating Services while on iOS this is done by using a number of fixed multi-tasking APIs. Services provide more flexibility to an App developer however they also allow bad developers to run down the battery very quickly by, for example, keeping a network connection open indefinitely. iOS makes it much harder to make this sort of mistake at the expense of limiting Apps to the common uses of multitasking.

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's kind of pointless to argue that a newer operating system is better than an older one. If iOS 5 comes out and honeycomb is still better, then you can shout it from the hilltops.

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Better at everything such as ? You know this because ?

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

There is that. And the fact that it's been available for the last year. That's a small advantage over the competition.

Why do people say things like this? Honeycomb hasn't even been released. How could this claim have any basis in fact?

22. QuarterSwede, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

To the OP: I think a better comparison would be Honeycomb and RIM's Playbook Tablet OS both of which are next gen.

Great explanation.

Honestly, this is the future of multitasking on limited power devices. It gives you the multitasking you need but also retains battery life.

I've been very happy with the way iOS does it. I think with a bump to 1GB of RAM it'll be where nothing you could currently be using goes out of memory. On my iPhone 4 (512MB) it happens every once in a while when using Safari and multi-tasking.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

honeycomb isn't even out yet, so there's no way people can say that its better, worse or the same.

I mean does it the OS need a dual core processor, if that's the case. I'd say iOS is better at handling resources.

Android is not a bad OS, its a different OS, its not better or worse. People choose android phones because they want one. Choice is a great thing. I wanted an iPad because it fits my needs better then an android solution.

24. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Trolling for responses

Ok so the OP has an opinion on an OS that no one has even seen yet. If Honeycomb turns out be vastly superior, then it will be time to talk, now it just makes the OP look like they are trolling for reactions, based on fantasy and rumor.
    The reaction for most of us is: You obviously do not have any idea of what you are talking about. Because you have not even seen it or played with it, or tried to use it in a real life situation. When the public gets to do that, and you have spent time with both devices, then I might listen to your opinion on which one is "vastly superior". But remember, opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one, and none smell that good.

25. Jakeblu macrumors regular

At last a sensible post on this. Honeycomb may very well be the bee's knee's (pun intended) of mobile op system but until it's out we don't really know, now do we?

:D:D:D