honeymoon hell - what am I going to do?! :'(

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
What about going to somewhere like Venice. You could still fly to Rome and then hire a car and drive to Venice (although it would probably take you most of the day by car to get there).

Applespider

macrumors G4
Option 1 - Go to Rome, get to hotel and stay in your room all weekend- it is a honeymoon after all! :eek:

Option 2 - call your travelagent/airline and see if there's anything they can do. As you say, flights and rooms in Rome will be in short supply so since they'd likely to be able to sell them on at a higher rate (since I imagine you booking in advance got a good deal), they may waive any cancellations charges and allow you to go elsewhere.

Option 3 - Fly to Rome and go on day trips elsewhere - Pompeii, Naples are within a few hours drive.

theHelix

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2004
From Rome

I am an American in Rome right now. I was walking through the streets last evening and there seems to be an unreal calm in the streets. People seem to be very prayerful as a result of the Pope's death.

The weather is mild and the sun comes out every now and then.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Hoef said:
Do you have hotel rooms in Rome already ? .... No sure where you are located, but Venice or Florence is nice too
have cancelled the hotel rooms (no fee, phew)

Tried to reschedule flights, but it works out we'd be paying at extra 60% on what the flights cost us to start with, plus the extra price on any new flights :(

Going to try and claim the flights back on our travel insurance.

Don't have much luck with holidays do I?

Option 1 - Go to Rome, get to hotel and stay in your room all weekend- it is a honeymoon after all!
Nah, that'd be boring - we only got married for tax purposes and choose not to engage in a romantic/physical relationship at all. A weekend in a hotel room, twiddling thumbs...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
mrjamin said:
Nah, that'd be boring - we only got married for tax purposes and choose not to engage in a romantic/physical relationship at all.
Sorry, but that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Why even worry about/have a honeymoon then? I mean if it is for tax purposes, then your marriage is only a paper drill in reality.

Oh well, to each his own.

Sushi

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
mrjamin said:
Nah, that'd be boring - we only got married for tax purposes and choose not to engage in a romantic/physical relationship at all. A weekend in a hotel room, twiddling thumbs...
So go to Rome, get robbed, and use it as a tax write off :rolleyes: :)

I've heard that Siena has a nice castle that people go to on their honeymoon, you could see if that's available. Then it's a short trip to Florence or Pisa.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
One thing that I love about the macrumors community is that the people here always helps me broaden my horizons because we have all sorts of different people with sometimes quite unusual lives and beliefs.

Marrying for tax purposes only and still going on a honeymoon was a first for me :D

I hope you're able to sort it out. If you don't like the idea of renting a car and driving in foreign country, maybe you could order a train ticket to Florence or Milan with the high-speed Eurostar trains.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
um.... no wonder the first honeymoon failed.....

i dont know i would just go and make the best of it then, just be careful

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
mrjamin said:
Nobody understood this was a joke?! :eek:

*sigh*

People, get out more... Look at what the MR Forums are doing to you!

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
I got married last november, which was absolutely great.
my wife's Birthday.
we've just bought our first home
mrjamin said:
Nah, that'd be boring - we only got married for tax purposes and choose not to engage in a romantic/physical relationship at all.
Your wife isn't really a wife, then, eh?

That's... weird.

I still say you should've gone; would have been a very unique trip to Rome.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
pseudobrit said:
I was hoping it was, but I fail to see any particular leadup or irony to his statement (or a smiley).
The man left 3 dots after the statement, and I could've sworn that was from a movie or somewhere.

Okay, there's a chance I could be wrong, but I still think he was making a funny.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
I say go to Rome then go further afield where it'll be less crowded. I've been to Florence and Sienna, staying in a nice area fairly close by called Marina di Pietrasanta and it was excellent, a really good holiday. I'd definitely recommend Tuscany as a place to visit.

Hopefully it'll all turn out good whatever you decide!

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
dry british witt certainly loses something with non-brits, especially when communicated in this medium ;)

Anyway, sure - it'd be quite an experience to be there, but its not exactly what we'd had in mind (seeing as Rome and its visitors are in mourning). Also, we were only going for a long weekend, so lots of travelling doesn't really sound like much fun.

So, we're cutting our losses and booking another holiday soon. Still, am gutted I don't get to fly! That would've been cool...

Any more holiday horrors anyone has to share? If I can be bothered, I'll tell why the first honeymoon was a disaster!

Over & out (and off to bed)

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Shame you miss out on the flying, I've only flown 3 times, (and the first time we had really bad turbulence so that added to the experience!) so I still feel that nervous/excited feeling when waiting at the end of the runway!

I haven't had any holiday disasters myself as yet, but I'm sure thats just due to my limited number of times I've been on holiday..I'm sure the disasters are all ahead of me..!

Hope the rebooked trip will turn out better!