Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Honeywell today announced its first HomeKit-enabled product, introducing a second-generation Lyric Round Wi-Fi-enabled thermostat with HomeKit support. Designed to compete with existing HomeKit-compatible thermostats like the ecobee3 and the iDevices thermostat, the Honeywell Lyric connects to a home's Wi-Fi network to allow the thermostat to be controlled via Siri or by using an iOS device and the accompanying app.

The new HomeKit-enabled Lyric thermostat is identical in design to the original Lyric thermostat, featuring a round body and a 3-inch polished glass face that clearly displays the current temperature and the target temperature. It includes a touch screen interface for changing the temperature directly from the device, and it offers motion-sensing illumination.

honeywelllyrichomekit.jpg

With the accompanying app, the Lyric can be controlled with an iPhone either at home or remotely, and with HomeKit integration, it will respond to Siri voice commands and interface with other HomeKit products. App-based features include location-based temperature control for automatic adjustment when a user is away from home, smart alerts for filter changes and extreme indoor temperatures, and intelligent comfort control that takes into account both humidity and temperature.

Honeywell's new Lyric Round Thermostat is priced at $249.99 and is available for pre-order from the Honeywell website starting today. Orders are expected to ship out at the end of January.

Article Link: Honeywell Announces 'Lyric Round' Smart Thermostat With HomeKit Integration

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I have to admit, most if not all, of the appeal of a smart thermostat is just the coolness factor.

I'd love to buy something to replace the large rectangular hearing-aid-colored plastic box on my wall. But the price point for something as simple as I need - connect switch when temp falls to "x," with perhaps a few more bells & whistles, would need to be much lower - perhaps under $100.

big market waiting for someone I think...

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I've had the 3rd-gen Nest thermostat for a few weeks now, and it's really fantastic. The Nest web and iPhone/iPad apps work great. Only difference between this and Nest is lack of HomeKit, which is a minor shame. Who knows, they might do something in the future, but right now, it does everything it needs to do. And does it very well, I might add. :)

If a "smart thermostat" is something you want, definitely give the Nest a look.

Reactions: sakumar

Targets R Us

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
Functionality and prices are getting better....but I really wish HomeKit was available on OSX.

-Jeff

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I've had the 3rd-gen Nest thermostat for a few weeks now, and it's really fantastic. The Nest web and iPhone/iPad apps work great. Only difference between this and Nest is lack of HomeKit, which is a minor shame. Who knows, they might do something in the future, but right now, it does everything it needs to do. And does it very well, I might add. :)

Having just dumped the Nest 3 for Ecobee3, there is more not to like about nest than just homekit support. Nest sets its own preferences and gives the user little control. Nest does not support remote sensors. Nest is not responsive to its customers. Nest believes they own your thermostat not you, so when you say..."I don't want you to automatically update" they say "Tough, its in your terms of service".

I have had the Nest 1, 2 and 3. Yes, nest did work, and if you have simple needs its fine. If you want more control, go with Ecobee.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm currently looking to replace my Nest with a HomeKit model. I was all in with the Nest ecosystem until they were bought out by Google and started neglecting their Apple users.

I'm not switching to Android to get the most out of my Nest products. I'll simply remove them from my home.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Honeywell... the same patent trolls that tried to lock down the use of sentences with thermostats. Pass.

Is Honeywell even the company making this or is it just sold under their name I wonder, I have a ceiling fan that has their name on it but if you read the fine print you'll see that its just some Chinese company licensing the name.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Honeywell... the same patent trolls that tried to lock down the use of sentences with thermostats. Pass.

Really? The US company that offers hundreds or products and services across dozens of industries, which has over $40billion in revenue and employs 127,000 people (a small city by some standards), is a patent troll?? In your mind, is it possible to protect one's invention and not be a patent troll?

Reactions: Daekwan

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008

I also have two Nest thermostats and the Nest Protect, but I'm very disappointed in the lack of iOS support: they still don't support Notification Today Widgets and Apple Watch. Their app is over 100MB and hangs frequently, and the latest firmware updates introduced several annoying bugs. So, as far as innovation goes, Nest is falling behind rapidly.

Reactions: Daekwan

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Another pointless overpriced piece of junk. Please no more connected home devices!

Literally you would have to optimise your energy usage with this thing for 100+years just to get your $250 back!

I see no point to these smart thermostat devices they make my blood boil to think of the wasted time making and using these pointless things has cost everyone.

Please if you want one just think for one second about how it could possibly benefit you and reconsider.

These are almost as bad as app controlled lights, i mean if you can reach a switch quicker than opening an app on your phone you need your head checked.

rant over.

britabroad

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007

Apart from lack of HomeKit, and no native watch app, the most annoying thing about the Nest is that the large number on the display is the target, not the current temperature. Doesn't make sense and it's not changeable.

Reactions: deasys and hagar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.