Honour Killings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jun 13, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

BBC

Isn't that the most stupid idiotic thing you've ever heard of? :mad:

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

This has been happening for so many years... and unfortunately, it probably will continue on. Similar issue and perhaps more readily found in different media types is "bride burning." Flagged Wiki link. This is an issue that many of us have never heard of-- the second google hit is this CNN article but it's dated 1996!

3. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I'm having an online deja vu moment.

Not joking but I'm certain I've seen this same thread with the same topic and same paste by macdrive and the second post answered by devilot some months ago, I had to check the date three times. Spooky.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's a shame that this isn't an uncommon thing. :(

I can relate to family being disapproving of your own choices and even "disowning" (me) but this story appalling on an entirely different level. I can't even begin to understand.

5. Queso macrumors G4

May she rest in peace, and the men rot behind bars. Just goes to show how warped the human race is to equate murder with honour and liberty with shame.

Seriously, someone start a nuclear war. As a species we don't deserve to live.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

And some extremists wonder why we (the west) think they are nuts?

Equal rights is equal rights.

Right!?

honestly, F-U for trying to get into Heaven this way.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What they need are honor suicides instead of killing. Under that scenario, if the father can't bear to face his peers because of something his daughter does, he kills himself instead to spare the embarassment. I think this should be promoted widely throughout the Middle East.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually it's not a islamic concept per se since it also happens in other countries who are not islamic like on the balkan for example or of course brazil or italy

ironically the Sharia doesn't allow a husband to decide such a thing (further evidence that most people don't read their own religious texts ;) ) afaik it actually requires some rather high court etc.
    also mr super-dumber-chef of iran Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called it "un-islamic"

also there are quite a few western countries where killing your own wife wasn't really a crime until not so long ago (i'm sure such relicts can be found easily in some obscure state specific law in the US ;) )

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Rule of Thumb!?
    Rule of Thumb!!

Up until....my mind is hazy on this Boondock Saints quote...it was legal for men to beat their wives so long as the switch was no wider than the width of his thumb.

cant do much with that can ya? perhaps it should have been around the wrist.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You haven't seen the size of my thumbs. :eek: