Hook, Line, and Sinker

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The expression "falling hook, line, and sinker" is used to emphasize that someone has been completely deceived or tricked.

Why are all politicians and media so gullible as shown by this recent news conference by Pelosi and Cummings ? In it, they fell for a fake tweet that they thought was from Flynn when, if they looked at it carefully, they could have determined it was a parody account.

I believe that much of the current fake media is just another form of trolling to make the politicians look foolish.

How long do you think it will take the average politician to figure this out ?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Is this an attempt to minimize the Flynn resignation or a seperate unrelated discussion, although you did mentioned Flynn? ;) At this point, I can't say it's game over, however my bet is this is just the tip if the iceberg for the Trump Administration.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Problem is that you're the Titanic ... ;)

jk ;)

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So you say. :p It could be the US and it's Constitution is the Titanic if we don't do some fancy steering. :(

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I think everyone - from the White House to the Press to the average American should be more diligent about fact checking.

6. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's a separate discussion outside of Flynn. The Pelosi news meeting about Flynn was just the latest example.

It's about how politicians (both sides) and media are gullible and fall for obvious trolling when it's easily preventable.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

It's easy (or should be) enough to check whether not a tweet is legit - at the very least.

8. chown33, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

chown33 macrumors 604

I think they're inexperience is showing, and it's being exacerbated by the "Look at me, I'm first!!" mentality that seems to reward rapid replies.

Regarding what they could have determined: A) They'd have to look at it carefully, which many are incapable of doing; or B) they'd need to have ready access to trustworthy assistants who can quickly determine veracity; and C) they all probably need to stop jumping when "Teh Social" says "Boo". On the other hand, there doesn't really seem to be any long-term penalty for jumping on the bait, so why not?

That might be partly true, but I think the underlying driver is money, specifically advertising dollars resulting from deception (click bait).

In short, the bait has become better and more widespread over time (dollar driven), and there's been an increase in the enthusiasm with which new bait is gulped down (low penalty for errors). It's like throwing chunks of wood into a tank of fish that have been fed for months simply by throwing chum into the tank. The wood is plainly inedible, but the conditioned response is to try to eat anything that gets thrown into the tank.

If history is any indication, it will take another generation of politicians coming into place, who've grown up with pervasive digital media and its culture, before it's "figured out". Even then, I expect there will still be a notable number of failures.

Kuhn's book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" strikes a chord, because it's not really about science or revolutions, it's about culture and how that intertwines with our pursuit of knowledge. At its best, the press is an element of culture in our pursuit of knowledge.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

problem is sometimes "perception" becomes "reality" :eek:

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Between her stuttering to explain scapegoat and Cummings mumbling, it was good entertainment.

11. HEK Suspended

HEK

Sometimes??.......more like most of the times lately.

Course we come from long line of perceptions, fostered by fairy tales, and lies repeated ad naseum. Prima facia evidence, bible and koran.