Hooked my MBP up to my Tv... couldn't tell the difference between HD material and DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marklight, Apr 25, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

On my MBP screen -and on computer monitors I can tell a big difference- but when I hooked up my MBP to my 50'' Sony - 1080i resolution ( I couldn't get my MBP to output 1080p - I even tried to do some *bug* workaround method) using DVi there really wasn't much of a difference that I could tell between DVD material and HD material at both 720p and 1080p.

The overall image looked ok on the TV- not bad at all, although the TV cut off the top and bottom portions of my screen- i was looking for some "Full pixel mode" setting but couldn't find it . And yes I had overscan turned on.

What are your experiences?

2. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Which MBP do you have? Because the 17" MBP is the only one with a 1080P+ display.

But if you do have a 17" The screen res is actually 1200. Which your TV will downscale..yada...yada...and that's part of why you'll get lesser picture quality. It's more complicated than that but thats the basic explanatio.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

What MBP do you have? I don't think the earlier ones were able to output at 1080. I'm too lazy to look it up though.:(

EDIT: I really need to refresh the screen before I post. LOL.

4. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry should have been more descriptive- i have a penryn 15''. However I'm saying that I'm unable to get the MBP to output 1080p resolution to my television.

I'm just trying to figure out why I really can't tell much difference between a ripped DVD video (encoded at a high quality) and an HD vid.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Are you using a DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI? Is your Sony 50" 1080i max res or 1080p?

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And you're sure your TV can display 1080p?

7. EricVT macrumors member

The MBP doesn't output to HDTV's well. You will have to choose between ugly black bars on all sides or having part of your screen cut off on the sides. Pretty disappointing actually.

And you won't get "HD" quality video on your HDTV from the MBP video output either. Even though you are running an all digital connection between the MBP and the TV and the MBP says it is outputting at the TV's native resolution, the quality is nowhere near HD quality like I hoped.

8. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... well I actually got it to not have any black bars on the sides- I couldn't get it to do a 1:1 pixel ratio- my menu bar and dock both were a bit out of the screen. If I could fix this problem I'd be pretty happy. I just wonder why it doesn't look amazing- It doesn't look bad really, I'm just surprised I can't tell any difference between HD and SD

9. betomax macrumors newbie

hmmm....

late 2006 mbp here, dvi->hdmi adaptor, hdmi to samsung lnt5271f tv: 1080p output instantly. Set HDMI1 to PC mode for natural looking display. Elephant's Dream, HD-DVD trailers at 1080p all look as good as HD-DVDs do.

No black bars unless the source video has them.