Hooking an Apple TV up to an old Dell monitor?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jrm27, May 8, 2013.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I started a similar thread elsewhere, but had an idea and thought I would ask here.

My iphoto library has about 6400 images in it that I keep as an inspiration library. Ive also got an old dell Monitor laying around. I'm wondering if I can hook up an appletv to the monitor and then have it stream my iphoto library to it in a slideshow form. I assume that I would need a DVI to HDMI converter, but woudl this work? I don't care if audio isn't carried over to the monitor, all I want is the images to rotate. Is this doable? Thanks!

-jon

2. maz94protege macrumors member

Yes this is very well doable, look at online auctions or vendors who sell th hdmi to VGA (analog) or DVI (digital) converters. They should run you around $35 shipped. I got one for my old gaming (RCA) connected games to run on hdmi for my flat screen. The same technique could be used in your case for the monitor and apple tv. If its just to use dvi not VGA, get a hdmi to dvi cable from bestbuy or walmart.

3. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

You're correct in saying that all you need is a HDMI to DVI cable if your monitor supports DVI input. You can pick one up really cheap on eBay. DVI is the same digital video signal as HDMI but DVI doesn't support audio (but you're not worried about that :) )

The only problem you might face is whether the monitor supports HDCP or not (Apple TV might be fussy about that). Some early DVI monitors didn't, but I imagine your dell does.

4. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

5. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. That is great news! I appreciate the help and the information.