Hooking up 30 Inch HD monitor to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ellibelly, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Ellibelly macrumors newbie

I just bought a Macbook Pro 15 laptop. I am completely new to Mac, my first ever and first time using one as well.

I have an external 30 inch HD monitor. Can I hook it up to this and if so, how? The monitor box doesn't give any directions on what to hook up to where.

Forgive such a basic question! :D

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

You may find a DVI port in your monitor which allows connection to the MBP.

3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

You can connect it with a DVI to HDMI cable. I've done it several times with different LCD and Plasma TVs.

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Great stuff, I didn't know that and I have a 42" LCD display! Now I'll go buy that cable and connect my MBP to it. :)

5. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Yes, it makes for nice slide shows to friends and relatives when you come back from vacations and graduations and such. :)

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Is there a DVI port on the back of the monitor?

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Your MacBook Pro has built in dual-link DVI, along with a DVI-VGA adaptor.

Your monitor will use one or the other kind of input signal. Find out which, then acquire the appropriate cable.

8. Ellibelly thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it hooked up and powered up and the screen comes up, but it blinks off and on.

9. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Which interface did you use on the TV?

10. Ellibelly thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Ellibelly thread starter macrumors newbie

I just found the users guide online. Thanks for helping me with my newbie question. I'll be hanging around and asking more ?'s :)

12. r88my macrumors regular

When you hook it up does the desktop take up the whole 40 inches of the screen (or whatever the size may be)? Thanks

13. eddietr macrumors 6502a

14. oliverlubin macrumors regular

yeah, it should plug in directly to the side w/o any adapter needed. at that musiciansfriend price and given the problems you're having id send it back if you can, request full credit and order it refurb from apple.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=F9179LL/A

$1499!

15. eddietr macrumors 6502a

In my case, using Sony TVs, the screen is identified as a Sony Bravia whatever on the monitor menu and it defaults to the full resolution of the monitor.

So yes, the desktop is the full size of the 40" screen. And of course it can drive the internal MBP screen as well as an extension.

16. angelinos macrumors newbie

plz help me i have searched everywhere !!!

well my question is if i can connect my macbook pro 2008 edition with the 30inch ... i have 500 and somthing grafics nvidia and i have 2gb ram leopard and... plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz answer backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!! all the videos that i have seen they use a 17 inch... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::apple::apple::apple::apple::eek::mad:

17. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Wow quite a sentence of confusion. Is it the Unibody MBP? If so I imagine they will to a display port adaptor to whatever to your 30inch. A macbook air is capable of driving a 30inch so don't worry, your MBP wont struggle.:)

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have the newest MacBook Pro, you need this adapter:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjkyNjI0Mg

Unfortunately, many people are having issues with it, but again usually it's just the people who have issues that complain.

Unless you are 4 years of age, cut down on the emoticons, fix your grammer and express you ideas more clearly. This isn't AOL chat.

If you have the latest model (with unibody) use the adapter I suggested to Ellibelly; otherwise, just connect the DVI cable into your computer.

Same cable that goes in the 17" goes into the 15"; don't forget the only difference between the 15" and 17" is screen size and 1 USB port.

19. NickM macrumors 6502

What is the purpose of the USB plugs on that adapter?
    Right now I need a mini-displayport to DVI adapter. I'm hoping to use my Mitsubishi projector with my MacBook Pro... if it will work, of course.