Hooking up a MBP 17'' high-res to a 1366x768 LCD-TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majick, Jul 4, 2008.

1. majick macrumors newbie

So, question is in the thread-title. I'm about to buy a new 32'' LCD-TV (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-32S3000-32-Inch-720p/dp/B000P6R6CY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215192730&sr=8-1) which I'd like to connect to my high-res MBP, which is 1920x1200. I'm wondering if this will produce a good quality on the tv-screen or wil it be kind of blown up? Because if that were the case, I'd go for a full HD-TV which would be the same res as my MBP. Anyone in here have any experience with this? The quality doesn't have to be perfect but should be good enough. Can I go with the TV, what do you guys think?

Haven't been able to find anything searching the forums! :)

EDIT: Oh, and will the MBP-screen fit the TV-screen without black bars or anything? I guess the ratio isn't exactly the same, right?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

My MBP works great with my Samsung 720p. All you should need is the correct adapter for your TV (DVI, HDMI or VGA) and you should be good to go. Your MBP will drive up 2560 x 1600.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

as long as you extend your desktop onto the tv, the picture will be good. If you choose mirroring it will be different because you can't select independent resolutions.

That said, I can extend my desktop to my Samsung 40" LCD TV at 1920x1200. HD movies look AMAZING.

or is the resolution 1920x1080? i forget.

4. majick thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, now I get it. I didn't know you could set the resolution independent from the resolution on your MBP. Thanks for your answers guys – can't wait for my new baby!! :)

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Just use the DVI-VGA adapter and use a VGA cable to hook it up to the PC input of your TV. I have a KDL-26S2000 and it works perfectly.

6. majick thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys,

I bought the KDL-32D3000 today and it's awesome. However, connecting my MBP, 1920x1200 (the resolution of my MBP) on the TV doesn't look good. It's all kinda "overdriven" and the fonts don't look very good. When I switch to 1360x768, the TVs resolution, the picture looks great. It's all very clear and soft, just perfect.

I am a bit disappointed as this is exactly the issue I thought I would NOT have after you guys told me the TV-monitor would work fine with the high def. I tried the DVI-VGA-adapter (which, btw, won't even let me choose 1920x1200 on my TV, the highest is 1360x768) as well as a DVI-HDMI-cable, both with the same issue.

Is there ANYTHING I could do about this or will I have to accept that the high definition of my Macbook Pro won't be supported by my new TV? I mean, the lower def is ok but it just isn't the same... :(

By the way, 1920x1200 is the only res where it says "interlaced" in brackets in the monitor preference. Is that the problem? What exactly does it mean?

7. pianos101 macrumors regular

In the Display pref pane you'll see a window on each monitor. You can change the resolution for each monitor independently. When i plug my MBP into my tv via DVI/HDMI it automatically adjusts the external monitor (i.e., tv) resolution to make it fit on my tv and i don't have to do anything. Try going to the Display pane though and changing that.

And definitely don't use VGA as that's not digital and you definitely won't get a clear/HD picture from that...

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It sounds to me like you're trying to drive a 720p TV at 1080 resolutions. That will not give you satisfactory results. This isn't a limitation of your MPB, it's a limitation of your TV.

9. majick thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should have made some more research. This is EXACTLY the reason why I opened this thread; I wanted to know if the high res will look good on the TV. It seems you guys didn't really get my concern then, but oh well, I won't blame you. Should've made it clearer.

It's not the end of the world, I bought the TV primarly for watching TV and not as a computer monitor. I can still synch it with 1360x768 and it'll look good enough.

Thanks anyway.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, I play Unreal and Quake on the 40" Samsung with my MBP connected. They rock! :D

11. jrichard012 macrumors member

I guess I am in a similar position. We have a Samsung 37" ( LN 37A550P3FX ). I want to have my MBP work with it. In hooking up the VGA cable to the adapter that came with the computer, I get a message on the TV that says, "mode not supported."

My concern is that in the TV's software for the source of a signal, it lists "PC" and this, of course, is not a Mac.

Others in this thread seem to at least get something from the computer to the TV, so I looking for some guidance about what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks