Hooking up my Guitar and Bass to my iMac!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thechris69, Mar 18, 2008.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Hello!

For my Comm-tech class we're asked to make a song using loops and pre-recorded samples. Me being a mac user, as well as a bass and guitar player decided to harness my abilities and incorporate them into my own song.

I have a external soundcard with the proper input jacks for my guitar, and I was just wondering if I was able to connect the guitars to GarageBand or Logic?

If so, is it pretty straightforward to do so? Can someone maybe post a simple step-by-step way to hook my guitar up to garage band?

As well... should I hook up my guitar straight to the soundcard, or should I connect it through my guitar amp? My guitar amp has some pretty sweet effects and amp types, its a VOX AD-30VT

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

get one of these http://www.tandkhobby.com/images/mth_other/50-1009.jpg

plug one of those large adapters used on fancy stereos and guitar cables on one end (usually come with headphones), plug that into your amp or guitar then plug the mini side into the computer's line-in.

If you have a nice amp then just use that. Garageband has guitar effects and stuff you can apply to a clean sound if you want but its not very good. Personally I just hook up the guitar straight to the computer with an amp and use Amplitube which is a really good amp modeler for the computer.

3. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

Logic by definition as that is how I record my guitar and bass work. Plug into MOTU 828MkII, USB to iMac/MacBook Pro. Choose the correct audio interface (for Logic that would be in the Preferences, for GarageBand in Applications->Utilities->Audio MIDI Setup.

After that GB/LP should see the music come in. I have to say that I haven't recorded with GarageBand as I use it as a sort of secondary monitor to see if I didn't screw up in Logic Pro, but for Logic, simply select a channel you want to record to, click Record Enable and adjust the meters. Alternatively click the + sign to create additional tracks.

When that is done, record what you want.

Good luck