Hooking up my MBA to Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wndsr, Sep 20, 2014.

1. wndsr macrumors newbie

Quick question.

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these: http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u2414h/pd

I have a number of adapters including Thunderbolt to HDMI. I've just tried it in my current monitor (BenQ XL2420T) and it wasn't quite as crisp as I would have liked.

Is there a recommended method of getting the MBA display onto the monitor with maximum quality?

Cheers!

2. mikeray macrumors regular

If you read the tech specs it accepts mini display port in.

3. wndsr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I know what it accepts, but I'm wondering if there is a difference in quality for each one?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The old VGA connection was analog and that may have lower quality than a modern digital connection. Anything other then VGA like HDMI, MDP, DVI will be a digital signal and quality will be exactly the same at the same resolution among them. The only issue is if the connection will support the native resolution of the monitor. For example, I know some MacBook models only support up to 1080p at 60hz over HDMI, so you would want to avoid HDMI is you have a monitor with higher that 1080p vertical res.

Beyond that... does not matter.

5. wndsr thread starter macrumors newbie

I have now got the monitor but it will not connect via Mini DP to DP. I'm having to use HDMI with an adapter, which is not ideal.

I've read a few things, but I can't seem to find any fix for this. Could anybody shed some light on this if possible please?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What kind of MDP adaptor are you using?

HDMI supports 1080p and that is the max for that monitor from the specs, so hypothetically, you should be seeing max quality/res. over HDMI.

7. wndsr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not using any MDP adapter, I am using the MDP to DP cable that was provided in the box with the Dell monitor.

I am using a MDP to HDMI adapter currently, which looks fine on my screen but I would prefer to use DP.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... gotcha. Dunno. Perhaps their adaptor cable is not compatible. One would think it would work though.

9. wndsr thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems I am not the only person with this problem so will continue looking around for a fix. :)

10. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Had the same issue, faulty cable! Try a different one!

Oh and make sure the display is set to the right entrance ;)

11. yosemit macrumors regular

I'm using MDP to connect my MBA to Dell U2410 (very close to U2414, I think). It works very well.

12. wndsr thread starter macrumors newbie

And it worked right out of the box? No tweaking required?