Hooking up my MBP to a "flamesuit" dell monitor...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Corrado33, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Corrado33 macrumors member

Anyway, I'm trying to hook up my MBP, as well as a dell computer to a dell monitor. (I didn't know anywhere else to go lol) Anyway, I have the dell hooked up with DVI, and the MBP hooked up via VGA using the adapter. Both will work separately, but when I try to do PIP, it won't let me select the vga as the PIP input. Why is this?

Monitor: Dell 2407WFP

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What's with the flamesuit comment? You're going to have to go into the OSD to change the PIP antics. Otherwise changing the input selection will work normally if only one connector is active.

3. Corrado33 thread starter macrumors member

Eh... I know some Mac fans despise Dell products... that's all. Their monitors aren't bad, but that's for another discussion in another place.

However, the OSD will also not let me select the DVI or the VGA as the PIP source. It only has component, S-video and composite.

Is there a REASON why the monitor would only support one at a time and not both? Like do they both somehow use the same internal hardware or somethin?

TIA

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

VGA and DVI are going to go through different paths in the display's hardware. I'm a little surprised you can't do PIP for VGA and DVI. I can on my Gateway 22".

I don't recall doing PIP on the 2407 or 2408 back when I had a few. I knew the option was there though.

5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

You'd be surprised how many people on here use a Dell product in one way or another. ;)