Hope & Change

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Or is it Hope for Change.

link
With the 2010 election year barely under way, two senators and one governor — all Democrats — ditched plans to run for re-election in the latest signs of trouble for President Barack Obama's party.

Taken together, the decisions by Sens. Chris Dodd of Connecticut and Byron Dorgan of North Dakota as well as Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter caused another bout of heartburn for Democrats as they struggle to defend themselves in a sour political environment for incumbents, particularly the party in charge.

As 2009 ended, Democrats watched a string of their House members announce retirements and one congressman defect to the GOP.

Now, with Dodd, Dorgan and Ritter out, Republicans have even more to crow about, if not better opportunities to pick up Democratic-held seats.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
And that's just in the senate, I don't have time to find a list of all the GOP reps and governors who are giving up.
If we could put together a list of 435 reps and 33 Senators (or is it 34 this year?) giving up, I'd be all th happier, regardless of what letter comes at the end of their name.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
yg17, Great, seems like we are dredging up news from a year ago. All those except bunning were post election announcements after the GOP got trounced.
You could include Sen Sphincter (arlen) from PA in the list if you want to go back to last winter.
My point is-what a difference a year makes.

If we could put together a list of 435 reps and 33 Senators (or is it 34 this year?) giving up, I'd be all th happier, regardless of what letter comes at the end of their name.
www.goooh.com

I agree!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Dodd retiring actually makes his seat LESS likely to change to the other party.

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
You could include Sen Sphincter (arlen) from PA in the list if you want to go back to last winter.
"Senator Sphincter?" OMG, I see what you did there!! You substituted Senator Arlen Specter's last name with a word meaning the ring of muscle surrounding the opening of a tube, such as the anus!

I am in awe of the Swiftian level of your humor. I am certain that in any area of serious political discourse, a jibe like you will command serious respect from anyone trying to argue from a high intellectual plane.

[/sarcasm]
:rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
"Senator Sphincter?" OMG, I see what you did there!! You substituted Senator Arlen Specter's last name with a word meaning the ring of muscle surrounding the opening of a tube, such as the anus!

I am in awe of the Swiftian level of your humor. I am certain that in any area of serious political discourse, a jibe like you will command serious respect from anyone trying to argue from a high intellectual plane.

[/sarcasm]
Really....it makes him look like a 10 year old kid who still thinks words like "poopy" and "butt" are funny :rolleyes:

I could probably have a more meaningful political debate with Beavis and Butthead.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Really....it makes him look like a 10 year old kid who still thinks words like "poopy" and "butt" are funny :rolleyes:

I could probably have a more meaningful political debate with Beavis and Butthead.
LOL, you said poopy and butt! That's hillarious!

Ribs hurting... Can't stop laughing...

On a more serious note, political calculations are being made by people switching sides or retiring. I can't imagine Dodd or Dorgan are retiring to give the GOP a better shot in the next series of elections.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

[/sarcasm]
Some posters have lost the ability to debate articulately and can only resort to name-calling to express themselves.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Poll: Blumenthal Already Way Ahead Of Connecticut GOP Senate Candidates

There is already a poll out of the Connecticut Senate race, demonstrating that Sen. Chris Dodd's (D-CT) retirement has drastically improved Democratic chances of holding the seat, with state Attorney General Richard Blumenthal holding landslide leads over the Republican candidates.

By a very fortunate coincidence, Public Policy Polling (D) was already in the field with a poll testing both Dodd and Blumenthal as Democratic nominees, in order to determine whether Democrats would do better by dumping the incumbent. The answer is an emphatic yes.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/01/poll-blumenthal-already-way-ahead-of-connecticut-gop-senate-candidates.php?ref=fpblg

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Exactly- this is gonna be a bad year for all incumbents. People want them ALL gone. We've had enough. So, I'd say that yes, this is a very positive thing indeed.
I agree with you. I feel most if not all of them should go. We need term limits on our congressment. The real power is the people who have been in the senate and the House the longest. They have a lot of political cards they can play to get what they want done.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I know the voters are supposed to have short memories, but what in the world makes anyone think that a significant number of voters are gonna give up on the Dems and go back to the Republicans???

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
I know the voters are supposed to have short memories, but what in the world makes anyone think that a significant number of voters are gonna give up on the Dems and go back to the Republicans???
What in the world? How 'bout that deficit?

If that's not bad enough we can show the escalating unemployment rate under Democrats...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What in the world? How 'bout that deficit?

If that's not bad enough we can show the escalating unemployment rate under Democrats...

American's may have a short memory but not that short. They will not elect the same clowns who got us into this mess.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
They will not elect the same clowns who got us into this mess.
Good point rdowns - one of these clowns admitted his failure today. His name is Chris Dodd. One of the other clowns is Barney Frank. I'm waiting for his political departure as well when he steps down... the last clown, Obama, will likely never admit his failure. All three got us into this recession!

Dodd, Frank and Obama – Three Blind Mice
http://atimetochoose.wordpress.com/2008/09/25/dodd-frank-and-obama-three-blind-mice-leave-a-trail-of-crumbs-from-the-cookie-jar/
Chris Dodd thinks that no one enforced the regulations. Barney Frank blames Reagan for this (with deregulation). Yet neither man noticed that under their noses (and in spite of Bush Administration warnings) the two quasi-governmental companies were run aground and their execs took HUGE payouts. Barney and Chris – here is a newsflash for you. It was your legislation and your fellow social engineering laws forcing “diversity” down the throats of the banks. Barney, your GOAL was to float loans to under and un-qualified people.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Link

'DROPPING LIKE FLIES'?.... Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) is retiring. So is Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.). And before anyone could catch their breath, Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter (D) announced he's not seeking re-election, either.

It led ABC News to report that "Democrats are dropping like flies."

It is not shaping up to be a pretty week for the Democrats. [...]

You will certainly hear a lot of talk from Republicans that Democrats are beginning to face the reality of just how tough the current political landscape looks for them and they are running for the hills.

This is, to be sure, exactly the meme Republicans want the media to embrace, and if the coverage this morning is any indication, political journalists seem anxious to comply.

But let's add a little perspective here. Quick quiz: which party has more Senate retirements so far this campaign cycle, Democrats or Republicans? Follow-up question: which party has more House retirements so far this campaign cycle, Democrats or Republicans?

If Dems are "dropping like flies," the answer should be obvious. But it's not -- in both chambers, Republican retirements, at least for now, outnumber Democratic retirements.

In the House, 14 GOP incumbents have decided not to seek re-election, while 10 Democratic incumbents have made the same announcement. Does this mean Republicans are "dropping like flies"?

In the Senate, six Republican incumbents have decided not to seek re-election, while two Democratic incumbents have made the same announcement. Is this evidence of a mass Democratic exodus?

Among governors, several incumbents in both parties are term-limited and prevented from running again, but only three Democrats who can seek re-election -- Parkinson in Kansas, Doyle in Wisconsin, and Ritter in Colorado -- have chosen not to. For Republicans, the number is four -- Douglas in Vermont, Rell in Connecticut, Crist in Florida, and Pawlenty in Minnesota. (Update: the GOP number is five if we include Palin in Alaska.)

So, to review, Republican retirements outnumber Democratic retirements in the House, in the Senate, and among governors. The preferred Republican/media meme of the day doesn't match up well against reality.