Hope for Humanity?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by StruckANerve, Feb 4, 2011.

1. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/01/08/thousands-muslims-human-shields/

Thousands Of Egyptian Muslims Show Up As ‘Human Shields’ To Defend Coptic Christians From Terrorism
    "Egypt’s majority Muslim population stuck to its word Thursday night. What had been a promise of solidarity to the weary Coptic community, was honoured, when thousands of Muslims showed up at Coptic Christmas eve mass services in churches around the country and at candle light vigils held outside. From the well-known to the unknown, Muslims had offered their bodies as “human shields” for last night’s mass, making a pledge to collectively fight the threat of Islamic militants and towards an Egypt free from sectarian strife."

Not only was this awesome, the Christians returned the favor just the other day. Kind of gives me hope.

http://standupwithpetedominick.com/blog/powerful-images-from-cairo-christians-defend-muslims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXfZTgOCO

2. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

My jaw quite literally dropped reading this. I am an atheist, but I can still more than appreciate the beauty of this situation.

BTW the youtube link points to a "malformed URL" page. :(

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

4. StruckANerve thread starter macrumors 6502

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Very encouraging. Peterkro linked to this story a couple of weeks ago.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm sure the 'divide and conquer' crowd are not happy about this behaviour.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This is really nice, i wish there were more stories like this.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

There can be, if people will but listen to their own conscience, and not some shaman with an agenda.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Good people do exist from all backgrounds. It's nice to hear about it in mainstream media :)

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Robert Fisk raises an interesting point:

Many pro-democracy demonstrators have noticed a strange phenomenon. In the months before the protests broke out on 25 January, a series of attacks on Coptic Christians and their churches spread across Egypt. The Pope called for the protection of Egypt's 10 per cent Christians. The West was appalled. Mubarak blamed it all on the familiar "foreign hand". But then after 25 January, not a hair of a Coptic head has been harmed. Why? Because the perpetrators had other violent missions to perform?

There is no real evidence of this but it's an interesting thought nevertheless.If you look at the coverage of Tahrir sq you will see as the Muslims are praying they are surrounded by others (Christians amongst them) protecting them.Some Coptic nuns and priests are in the Sq,there is a photo of a leading Muslim cleric and a leading Coptic priest holding hands and walking through the Sq although I can't find it at the moment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...quits-soon-the-right-one-will-go-2205852.html

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It appears at least one prosecutor is on the case regarding the "terrorist" attacks:

"Egypt's general prosecutor on Monday opened probe on former Interior Minister Habib el-Adly's reported role in the New Year's Eve bombing of al-Qiddissin Church in Alexandria in which 24 people were killed, an Egyptian lawyer told Al Arabiya.

Laywer Ramzi Mamdouh said he had presented a proclamation to Egyptian prosecutor Abd al-Majid Mahmud to investigate news media reports suggesting that the former interior ministry had masterminded the deadly church attack with the intent to blame it on Islamists, escalate government crackdown on them, and gain increased western support for the regime.
    Mahmud said the information contained in some reports were "serious."

The proclamation, numbered 1450, pointed to the news reports sourcing a UK diplomat who explained the reasons why Britain has insisted on the immediate departure of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and his regime, especially his interior ministry's security apparatus previously directed by el-Adly."

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/02/07/136723.html