Hope I am in the right place - looking to buy external storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sassyarab, Jun 29, 2009.

1. sassyarab macrumors newbie

I have an iMac with Leopard that is giving me trouble. That is really a totally different post, it keeps on shutting down on its own, etc.... Anyway, I have needed to get external storage of some type for a while due to the fact that I take a lot of photographs. I don't want to lose them. So before I take this computer to get it fixed, I want to make sure my data is safe.

I want to back this thing up. I need something simple, I am really busy right now and just need something that will work well but not require a lot to set it up. I would prefer to get at least 1TB of storage. Cost is a factor in our case.

Can anyone give me some good ideas as to what brand or type storage device would work for me?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Western Digital is a great/reliable brand.

1TB $169
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1246316911&sr=1-7

3. steeler macrumors regular

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

5. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

A lot of times you can buy an internal hard drive and external enclosure cheaper than an external hard drive. Keep in mind you don't need any special software or that crap, you're going to format it anyway.

6. xpress1 macrumors newbie

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Uno mas...

Search the forums.

My vote would go probably towards the Western Digital, although I have had no problems with my Iomega UltraMax Pro, my main concern with it though is the limited cache size, however I use it solely for back up. I also have a G-Tech, while I rarely (I actually don't think ever) hear bad things about them and have never had a problem, you are paying premium. I sorta feel that if you are just getting started going with Western Digital makes sense, if you are someone that knows exactly what they are looking for (i.e. editing, where you need speed, or someone that wants to put it together for cost and what not...)

And like always:

Everyone has their own experiences, but I imagine that most of them are positive. Sure, there are these threads about how person x's drive failed and person y wouldn't buy anything but them. I own three drives that there are plenty of horror stories about.

No one would ever post: "I love my Western Digital 1TB Drive", unless someone posts a horror story about one. Companies ship tons of drives daily, not everyone will be perfect.

The best advice is to find one that has a good warranty and excellent customer service. And then avoid reading these threads so you don't lose any sleep.

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives.

Here, is a thread from yesterday exactly on this...
    This one is about LaCie...
    Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
    Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
    And if all else fails, MRoogle

8. mc3s macrumors member

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I just got a Simpletech DuoPro quad interface 2TB drive that you can run in Raid 0 or Raid 1 and its been good so far...$216 wasn't bad either...