Hope Solo and the double standard of domestic violence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Jul 6, 2015.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Let me guess, you used to get beat up by all the girls in high school :)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given what I've read about the situation, she should have been suspended. Yeah, a double standard without a doubt.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed that she should be suspended for such behaviour.

5. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Double standard. This is the problem

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

No doubt it is double standard but you can't compare the NFL to the women's soccer. Everyone knows the NFL while there is only like 15 of us who follow soccer. I think that was the reason that she wasn't punished.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Ok, I read the article AND the comments. So, she's a monster because she defended herself against an attacker 100 pounds heavier than her AND taller? I could care less the age of the attacker. EVERYONE has the right to self defense. I also read that the charges were dropped since her sister and nephew kept changing their story.

Sometimes I really don't understand the people on this forum. SMH

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.people.com/article/hope-solo-domestic-violence-arrest-police-documents-new-details

bullies don't always care how big their victims are. so the 100lbs is a moot point.
    see below. the little punk is lucky to be alive. bet he doesn't do it again :D

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is a sports double standard. Look at how many NFL players get off after beating their wives or girlfriends. Now Hope Solo being on the women's soccer team and a somewhat B list star gives her another layer of protection.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If she were going to be suspended, it should have been when the story broke - not a year and a half later. It's old news now - time to move on.

11. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yes, let's continue to ignore DV because the statute of limitations is only 18 months.

Prosecutors are filing with an appeals court. This is far from over.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am curious how the prosecutors are going to manage this without double jeopardy, but I'm not a lawyer.

In any case, some in this forum clearly have a grudge against women and they need to get a life.

13. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Charges were dismissed as her victims refused to cooperate. That does not, however, qualify as being tried and therefore she is not protected by double jeopardy.

A grudge against women? You mean like the woman Hope Solo assaulted? Don't be a hypocrite.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OK, then, let's start with innocent until proven guilty. Perhaps that has something to do with her not being suspended.

Clearly I hit a nerve with the grudge comment...

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The prosecutors in this case never went to trial. Double jeopardy only applies if both sides present a case and verdict is reached (either by a Judge or a Jury). Or if the defendant enters a plea and a verdict is entered.

The details in the Hope Solo case are sordid, and it certainly does not make her look very good. But the circumstances seem fundamentally different (ie. an alcohol-fuelled family dispute) from the typical abuser-victim scenario that has resulted in NBA and NFL player suspensions.

I don't really see a double-standard here.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nah, you are simply wrong & broad brushing with that comment.
    is like pretending the people calling out Rice have a grudge against men

17. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Innocent until proven guilty is a standard of a court of law, not a standard of employment. You can get accused of a crime and fired without a guilty verdict. That's just reality.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are you replying to the correct post? I didn't mention anything about a statute of limitations or ignoring what she did.

Again, I didn't address her legal issues, only her (lack of) suspension from the soccer team. Are you sure you quoted the correct post?

Yes, and if her "employer" (in this case, USA soccer) were to have disciplined her, the time to do it was when her "offense" first came to light. Waiting a year and a half doesn't make any sense.

19. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Better late than never.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The OP isn't one of the people on here that baits others, and he often posts in sports related threads. I think your comment was out of line on this one. There's a link in the original article to a more detailed overview of that incident. She wasn't suspended, because female violence gets much less attention. It's one of those stupid things that never should have become an engendered issue.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well no, not really, it isn't.

22. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Because by some magic time makes domestic violence go away?

It is amazing how little people care about domestic violence.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It isn't that I don't care about it, it's that there's little to no point in addressing an issue like this that you've basically ignored for a year and a half. At this point, you can't really make a legitimate claim to all of a sudden care about it.

USA Soccer chose not to punish her then. It would be a colossal blunder for them to do so now.

24. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The colossal blunder is that they continue to allow an athlete under investigation for domestic violence to play.

25. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

As the link posted thekev posted points that alcohol played big part in her arrest. That really doesn't surprise me because in my long life I seen many people become mean when drinking.