Hopefully new quad core's will be in mac book pro update who is with me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by earthandtone, Jan 30, 2009.

1. earthandtone macrumors newbie

earthandtone

Who wants to see the quad core chips in the mac book pros. I do . who is with me?:)

2. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Eh. I'd like to see how well Snow Leopard uses extra cores first. At this point I don't believe my 2 cores are being used effectively.

3. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for quad core MBP's and 8GB of ram to be cheaper. My SR 2.4ghz 17" is working great still. Current MBP's aren't much of an upgrade IMO.

Quad Core chips in the MBP and dual in the MB would differentiate the pro's from the non-pro's very well. It makes the most sense. It won't happen until the Mac Pro is 8 core standard though. Quad Core MBP would probably be close to as fast, in some things, as the current 4 core Mac Pro.

Hopefully by 2010 the Quad Core MBP's come out. That's when my Applecare expires!

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I would like to see also how much heat they will produce.

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Does anyone have any idea if the quad cores will be in the iMac or MBP first?

6. Migsy macrumors newbie

As someone who regularly maxes out his 2.5GHz dual core MBP (At work, I often run 2-3 virtual machines) , the idea of a quad core MBP is very tempting indeed. I need quad core to make any upgrade worthwhile.

Here's hoping.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dont see it happening soon. The current thermal envelopes can't withstand the heat. The iMacs maybe...MBPs not so much

8. detz macrumors 65816

A very very very small percent of users would actually benefit from this so I can't imagine Apple jumping the gun on this one. Mac Pro and iMac maybe but we wont see it in a laptop anytime soon.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hate to break it to you, but they've had EIGHT cores STANDARD for over a year now. :D

10. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

The current MacBook Pros already get very hot under full load so I don't think they can easily take a Quad without some good redesign. However I did look at the internal shots of the 17" and I noticed quite a lot of cavities where they could add heat pipes, or extend the motherboard and place another fan at the top. Here is an image that illustrates the empty space:

[​IMG]