Hopefully the best of iOS 6 is being saved for the iPhone event.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Razeus, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

Because iOS 6 is lackluster.

Sure we get new maps and Facebook integration.

I'm feeling that Apple's "features" are so half-way done, they feel broken and never really went all the way. Any updates to them aren't continuous and Apple seems to enhance their features with each new iOS release.

Multi-Tasking - double pumping the home button is lame

Facetime - finally over cellular

Siri - needs way more work, and sports stats is NOT that work

iCloud - why can't I use this more like Dropbox for ANY document?

Photostream - interesting concept, still need iPhoto in the cloud and an easier way to share to other networks WITHOUT having to open up yet another app

iTunes Match - love the service. I use my iPod for "on the go", so I bought it to get the 256k files from my crappy ones. But seriously, no option to sync ONLY EXPLICIT material? Huge oversight and STILL hasn't been implemented.

Just to name a few.

Apple, you really need to open up your platform. I'm hoping your trump cards for iOS 6 and the new iPhone is being saved for the event in a couple of months. Please, better app interoperations too.

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Cue "iOS is already perfect" posts in 3...2...1...

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Really the only major thing missing.

iOS 6 is a polish update. It's the "Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion" of iOS.

4. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'm sure any further features for iOS 6 will be hardware related and specific to the new iPhone.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

that sounds about right to me. Anything new would be announced when they announce the new iphone and will be phone specific

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I wouldn't count on it. The platform is pretty mature now. They're will be little things, however I don't see anything big coming our way. Little gimmicks like Siri are few and far between.

8. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

You know, I'd be happy if they just let us pick our own apps for defaults. Say Camera+ that will load from the lock screen instead of Apple's stock version. Or Sparrow as my default email app instead of Mail. Give me that, and I'm happy. Hopefully Apple realizes Google's Jelly Bean is just as mature and more advanced at this point. It's little things like that, that go a long way.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's been five years an Apple doesn't even let us delete their preloaded apps that we find useless. Without jailbreak everything other than clock, calendar, Notes, and settings go in a "junk" folder for me. With jailbreak I just make those pesky icons disappear. As much as I would LOVE everything you suggest here, I am certainly not holding my breath with any of it.

10. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

It's just more of reason why I get aggravated with Apple. They release more stock apps that I can't remove. They give us 500,000 apps of which NONE I can make my default! The iPhone 5 hardware HAS to be THAT GOOD for me not to jump ship. I've put up with the lack of choosing my default apps or deleting stock ones since 2007, but now I realize I have a choice - the Jelly Bean has fully matured.

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

My #1 want right now is the ability to delete stock apps I don't want.

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

since when did deleting stock apps become the number one request? who really cares if you have to put the stock app in a folder.

13. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

It's gonna be pretty much what they've already showed you. Disappointed huh? Apple didn't WOW this time.

14. tomtom2234 macrumors member

Not sure what else you want in terms of multitasking...

If you wanted it that badly you could have jailbroken your phone.

They are adding quite a lot to Siri. Also, there are some pretty neat Siri jailbreak tweaks you can hit up in the mean time.

That isn't what iCloud was built for.

???

????

Most of what you are complaining about can be fixed by jailbreaking. Or you can just get an android phone.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree, yet the basic underlying problem that we simply have to accept is that Apple is a highly proprietary company that believes they know what's best for everyone. Their arrogance knows no limits. They do things their way, even if it cheats the consumer out of the latest and best technology.

It's like how they cling to what they believe in, such as the terribly out of date, tiny little 3.5" display until the upcoming model, if rumors are true, is very typical of Apple. Even if they decide to use this very bizarre stretched out narrow display as previewed here, there's zero benefit for most of us. An extra row of apps is not going to make one bit of difference once the phone is rotated into the horizontal position.

16. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

One shouldn't have to jailbreak this this to happen. The customer should have to do no additional tweaks just to get the phone to work the way they want it to. In fact, the very notion of jailbreaking proves Apple has a walled garden and simply doesn't give us the features requested or knows damn well the competition offers.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I hate jailbreaking devices. I agree they should be able to do those things by default

18. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

What do you mean by "tiny little 3.5" display"?

Its a good size and not tiny.. now blakcberry is a tiny display.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

relative to the 4+ on all other current smart phones...it is "tiny"

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Just out of interest, why would you want to sync only explicit material?

21. burnside macrumors 6502

Completely agree. I laugh when someone mentions a feature they would like to see only to read a subsequent comment answer "jailbreak it" or "get an android phone." So I try to jailbreak and the phone gets bricked, then what? Or I get an Android phone and miss the stability of an iPhone, then what?

Asking for something as simple as setting default applications isn't rocket science. This is a simple feature that many people want which Apple chooses to restrict in order to maintain their delicate ecosystem.

22. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I guess that's right. It is dwarfed but I was saying as a standalone screen its not tiny

23. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Because that's the version I have on CD and iTunes should give me the explicit version of a song and make it an option for its users. I don't feel as hard listening to 50 Cent when all the cuss words are removed.:D

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's simply really. The 3.5" display is the smallest, and oldest in the industry. The current average range is 4.3" to 4.8" if we leave out the 5" and up category.

We are talking smartphones here, ones that most people use to access the internet, handle email and messaging. A man with average hands doesn't have much room to type when holding the phone in the landscape position, and composing an email. The keyboard alone takes up half of the available space, reducing the visible window quite small. Try that same thing on a 4.8" display like my new Samsung Galaxy S III, it's very spacious with well over 2/3 of the display to work with.

When accessing the Internet the amount of scrolling is more than cut in half, not to mention the beautiful, clear view of the various objects on the screen. I've been using Androids and iPhones concurrently since the very beginning of both. Don't get me wrong, I really like my iPhone 4S, if not for the tiny screen. That's the only drawback. If Apple would give us a contemporary display the sales would be even greater than they are.

Look at how successful the current model is, simply because it's perceived as "cool" by young people and "simple" by old folks. I see a lot of retired greybeards clinging to iPhones just to look hip. It's a funny sight :)

25. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Oh I see :D
    I thought you mean you literally just wanted to sync explicit material which I found a bit weird, but I get what you mean now. I agree!