Hopeless question about data erased during restore - but I'm asking anyway...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbook123, Jul 22, 2010.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Hi, sorry I know this is probably naive, but I have to ask it anyway. If I did "restore from old iPhone backup" on a new iPhone in the iTunes settings, is the old information on that new iPhone (especially videos, photos taken with that new iPhone before doing the restore) gone, or does iTunes create an automatic backup just in case? .

The videos and photos I took before the restore are definitely not in the iPhone's library anymore.

I know, it's probably stupid to misunderstand the word "restore", but I honestly thought it would mean "adding the contents of the old iPhone to the new iPhone, while leaving what's already on the new iPhone (including FaceTime software, etc, which wasn't on the old one) intact.

Thanks guys, and sorry for wasting your time..

PS: Where are the REGULAR iPhone backups physically stored btw? Can't find them in the Library/iTunes or anywhere else...

2. coasterider macrumors regular

If you are on a Mac, and you backed up the new iphone before the restore, your camera roll should be there. But only on a Mac. To get it back you would have to restore again to the old backup and sync with iphoto then restore to the other backup. I think I answered your question, it was a little confusing.

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, that's the problem: I didn't explicitly backup the new iPhone before doing the restore. So I was just wondering (again, naively) whether there's an automatic backup that is only stored temporarily (say like recently opened tabs in Safari/Firefox in case of a crash) that I can restore somehow. But I take it the answer is no.

Do you know where the backups are stored on disk, i.e. in which folder?

4. coasterider macrumors regular

I'm not sure where they are stored. But if you ever synced the new iPhone, chances are iTunes has done at least one backup.

Wouldn't trust goole002, first post..

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Can't see the attachments. Are they a particular program that scans the flash drive of the phone for old files?

Would be good to have your solution posted here so others can potentially benefit from it.

Thanks.

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks...

I notice that I have two backed up iPhones in my "restore" options, one of which might be the new one...

I wonder if there's a way to see what files (especially .jpg and .mov) a backup contains, without doing the restore from it. Hence my question where the backed up files sit in the filesystem. It's gotta be somewhere :)

Just took this one really amazing video today after buying the phone that I hope to restore.

7. coasterider macrumors regular

They are linked with a serial number. And they are also should have the info of the time of backup, so you should be able to figure out which one is which.

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Can you tell me how to find the serial number they are linked to?

The only way the backups show up for me is if I connect an iPhone, than go to restore, and then all it shows is two different "iPhone" choices and an iPad choice, but no further information at all.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can use "iphone Backup Extrator" on the mac to ..well..as the name said..."extract" your backup and them use...SQLite Database Browser to ....LOL well again Browser the database for your stuff...

However...if you didn't backup before you did a restore I think you are SOL, since there won;t be any backup to extract that data from.

You can give it a try and see what can you find.