Hopes/expectations for Siri 1.0 and 10.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So as you all know we are still in beta with Siri. I'm expecting siri to stay that way till the official version (Siri 1.0) is launched in conjunction with iOS 6 in the Sept/Oct timeframe.

In addition to bug fixes, higher uptime on the servers, etc what are you guys hoping to see with the final cut? As a bonus question, what are you guys hoping will happen with siri over the next decade (Siri 10.0 so to speak)?

Personally for Siri 1.0, I'm hoping for support for settings "turn my bluetooth off", more integrated support for adding/retreiving contact info, and also some more 3rd party support. Although I think Apple will need to be very delicate about how this is added...

As for Siri 10.0, I'm hoping for a google on steriods. I think our kids will be so shocked at how oldfashioned it is for us to google things. a question like "who won the world series in 1967" now returns a ton of results that you need to sift through. Siri 10.0 will actually be intellegent enough to return a simple, correct answer.

Also I think siri will need to develop a typable search box in addition to voice activation. This is to accomodate sitiuations where talking isn't conducive, plus for Mac support. I think a universal spotlight-like box would be more ideal than talking for most situations on a Mac.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Quickly, off the top of my head...
    • Toggle setting (e.g. Wifi, Bluetooth)
    • Launch an app
    • Read an email
    • Understand various accents

3. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i actually had thought to myself that siri needed a way to manually type it in, because i knew she could answer quickly but it was kind of loud to speak my question.

Then again that would only be in this world where siri could some how replace google, which i doubt they will let happen as siri relies on other services to get its results.

4. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I'll add to this

Navigation functionality once apple maps are included. You can just ask Siri to find you an address or something around you and she will take you to it

Ability to find friends or family members in your photos or videos. You can say something like "search photos for David" and it will bring those photos up.

Ask Siri to find a movie by name playing around you

I could go on for days...

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

From this list I would definitely use the bolded one the most! I completely forgot about navigation since it's so bad on iOS that I don't use it much, if at all. :(

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

So? All google does is crawl the internet constantly updating what it finds. Siri can have her own repository of information but hers would be more inteligently divided and discernable.

But when that bring up David from Faces on your Photo app? Or from your facebook app? This is one integration that WP7 has nailed down perfectly and I wish iOS implemented it a little better.

I can't decide which I think is better... 3rd party apps having access to Siri or Apple aggressively pursuing the apps that they think would be best for Siri and adding support (like how siri has been done now).

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Am I the only one who wants Apple to do away with Siri???

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Perhaps. Why do you want them to do away with Siri? I have always been of the "if you don't like it, don't use it" mentality.

9. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Really? You don't have any apps? Don't want to get too off topic but check out some apps. I use TeleNav and Waze, both are great. I can do anything with those I did on any Android phone. Open it up and search for Best Buy, it will bring up a list of which are closest, hit "go" and you're off. Actually, TeleNav has functions Google Navi doesn't and the iPhones GPS is more accurate than any of my Android phones were.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I do have waze. It's just that when I am in need of a GPS, my fiance is usually with me, and we prefer the google navigation app. Waze does work well though, in a pinch. :)

11. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well if you don't like it, you don't need to use it.

But, what is your dissatisfaction? The main complaints (server's down too much, can't understand me much of the time, doesn't have enough functionality) are all things that I see being fixed within the next year, then it's all just expanded functionality from there.

12. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Which I don't. It just aggravates me that is was the 4S's main selling point. Oh well, hopefully it improves a lot this year for those who depend on it.

13. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yeah, I expect it to improve a lot. I mean technically it's only it beta... which apple never releases to the public. And not only did they release a beta but, as you mentioned, is heavily advertised as a main selling point. That shows us that Apple has a lot of faith in Siri.

I agree that in it's current state it's only partly useful/partly gimmicky, but I think both Siri and iCloud will define Apple in unifying and simlifying the user interface for the next decade.

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I hate to be pessimistic, but I very much doubt there'll be any Siri updating in the future...

15. BigData macrumors newbie

Siri already returns the correct answer for "who won the world series in1967" via Wolfram Alpha. She just doesnt read it off. You are not going to have to wait a decade for that haha. Siri can already return the average weight of a blue fin tuna.

Unfortunately, I don't think apple has or wants to develop the backed data sets/collection/organization/analysis. Instead they'll have to rely on third party data people like wolfram, Espn, yelp etc. to collect, organize and even analyze. But who knows, they could make a play in data - purchase wolfram for example (although the founder clearly wants to maintain control here).

I'd like to see:

1. Iintegration with ESPN for sports scores and historical statistics.

2. Integration with calculator. (instead of routing math queries through Wolfram, I'd prefer it to route basic arithmetic through apple's own calculator App and for Siri to return the answer with voice)

3. Integration with dictionary / thesaurus.

4. Integration with Open Table

5. Tighter integration with Siri. Basically, I want Siri to return Wolfram results in speech - as a Siri result rather than a wolfram result.

6. Personal Data analytical - this of course requires a huge amount of backed. This is the piece that will likely take ten years.

I like Wolfram Alfa as the primary statistical backend for Siri because it is computational. Going forward, data that lives in a computational environment is ten times more useful than static data. Still, for specific data sets - I.e. sports scores and statistics, I think it makes sense, for now, at least to use ESPN. And for crowd-sourced info, Yelp, etc.

Data is the next big thing. I think Apple is getting on the train but it remains to be seen in what capacity, precisely, they'll play in the area.

I think they should very carefully bring as much data in-house. And I think Wolfram's *platform* would be a great start.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Hopes? I never "hope" for anything from tech devices. It's much more interesting to just enjoy what I have, then see what arrives on the next device.

Expectations? See above.

Siri's obnoxious.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

There is NOW WAY Siri will be out of beta with the launch of iOS 6.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I hope it gets tied in to third-party apps more. I would love for it to be able to do my bidding in Spotify. It's great for a beta product.

19. twigman08 macrumors 6502

I honestly feel Apple will start pushing Siri even more. I mean they are already pushing it like crazy on commercials with it still in beta. I understand that it does seem like Siri is down a lot and that is frustrating but it is still a Beta version.

They did try to sell it a lot with the 4S but that is not the 4S biggest selling feature. The 4S is a great phone with a great processor. It might look exactly like the 4 but that processor is great (bench marks prove it, though bench marks mean nothing). It just doesn't look like it is "faster" because of how iOS is designed. It doesn't need high end processors to run smoothly. So when you just go and up and processor all of a sudden it isn't as noticeable like it is on other OS's because they need those high end processors to run smoothly. that's off topic though.