Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword, police say

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Malfoy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-sword0915,0,4027961.story?track=rss
    All I can say to this is:

Well played.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I read it this morning, it is pretty disturbing.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

**** yes. I dont have much passion for burglars. I would have done the same thing, you know, if I owned a samurai sword.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It seems a self-defense, vs. using the sword to stop the burglary. Big difference.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

He was probably just playing out some crazy anime fantasy. When life gives you lemons...horribly maim and murder someone.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

More like Kill Bill! :eek:

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

OR HIGHLANDER!
    There can be only one...

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats....disturbing.

I'm always shocked to see how many people advocate the killing of an intruder over neutralizing them.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is not what we are talking about. I think this is a case of "I don't think you can use that sword, let me get you" gone horribly bad.

I bet if it was a knife, the student would have been SOL.

Now, this burglar just got released from incarceration. Tells you a lot about the failure of the system to deter/rehabilitate. :(

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I wonder if he cut the guys hand off first or slashed him in the chest first. If it was hand off then chest, he may have gone overboard, if it was the opposite though, probably self defense.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I was talking about the typical comments we always get accompanying threads like this where an intruder is taken down. Theres always shouts of "I woulda killed the bastard too!". It scares me to think people would go into a situation with that mentality rather than making the call when it does actually come down to life or death.

That being said, if a burglar came into my home and I felt my life was threatened, I'd try take him down, but I wouldn't be trying to KILL them.

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Having been a victim of a violent assault lately, I have to say my views on the issue have changed considerably.

"Neutralising" sounds great, but how do you neutralise someone who may be bigger/stronger than you? Even nightclub bouncers can struggle to pin one man to the ground, what hope does one person alone have? The burglar could be armed, and is entering the premises ready for a physical confrontation. The victim is unprepared, and (generally) unarmed.

I have zero desire for a death penalty for muggers/burglars etc; but while a violent assault is in progress, the safety of the victim is the only thing that matters. I did my level best to strangle my attacker, but bear him no malice now. If he attacks me again, I'll have zero concern for his life, only mine.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think it's easy to say what one would do in a situation. It's easy to say "Oh, I would aim for the leg instead of the chest" but if you actually find yourself face-to-face with a burglar, who may also have a weapon and doesn't care if he kills you, you're not going to stop and think about which body part you should aim for to neutralize him without killing him, you're just going to start shooting or swinging the sword until he's no longer a threat. I wouldn't actively try to kill an introuder, that wouldn't be my intention, but if they do die from injuries they sustain while defending myself, then I don't see what the big deal is.

In this case, it was night and probably dark in the house, the victim was scared and only had the sword at his disposal to defend himself, and did what he could to get the attacker to back off. I don't blame him one bit and I certainly hope no charges are filed against him.

15. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Sympathy = 0.

Breaking into someone's home is a gross personal violation. If the intruder is armed, it signifies a wanton disregard for human life, and a suggested willingness to harm someone who interferes with their self-gratification. They are not showing regard for your life, your safety, your property. You must not presume they are going to give you any slack.

This should not be tolerated.

Mark my words: you give a criminal the upper hand, or any advantage to exploit, they will do so. Removing the means for law-abiding persons to defend themselves is asinine. Criminals don't play by the rules, that's why they are criminals.

In this case, the person used the means available (sword) and defended his property. Closer investigation will determine the facts of the case, and whether or not the extent of his actions were warranted.

Oh, and for the record, if this was my house the person would have been shot. Period.

16. Keebler macrumors 68030

the other thing not mentioned is that these encounters happen fast. way too fast to try and think, unless you've been trained in combat fighting.

it's unfortunate a life is lost, but i don't feel sorry for the burglar if he tried to attack the student.

my Dad always told me that if someone attacked me, I was to use any measure possible to make sure they were down (not necessarily kill) b/c he said that if they were nuts to go after me, they were nuts enough to keep trying. it's a sad statement of society, but it's true.

and now that i've had children, that changes even more. I wouldn't hesitate to end a burglar's life if my kids and wife were present.

not for a millisecond.

the other sad thing is that student is understandably traumatized and will need counseling to say the least.

i wonder if the cops will search the dead burglar's house and find the missing equipment?

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Not advocating for the burglar in any way, but just pondering how our (American) society tends to handle these situations. The "nearly severed hand" could be interpreted as a potential defensive wound. It's all up to how the state/police choose to interpret the incident after the fact.

Of course it doesn't help the student that a warm pizza was found at the scene, the man was wearing a pizza delivery outfit, and the neighbors address was scribbled on a piece of paper in his pocket. :eek: I kid, I kid... :D

18. Greenhoe macrumors regular

If you have the mind set of just neutralizing an intruder instead of killing them what happens when a intruder has the mindset of killing anyone who gets in their way and has a gun with them? You would end up dead!

If someone breaks into my house I would not think twice about taking their life then even have a small chance of them harming my family or myself.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't have much sympathy for the burglar, but I understand the need for the police to fully investigate the student's case of self-defense. It's not like the student knew this at the time but from the article it looks like the burglar had several priors and even tried to pull a gun on a cop. I feel sorry for that kid, I bet he's replaying those few seconds in that encounter over and over in his head. :(

20. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

if he had let him live, i guarantee the homeowner would be on trial for assault and attempted murder.

"dead men tell no tales." that is a direct quote from a friend/cop

a good friend of mine who had people over to his house- about eight or nine people in the house total. an intruder/junkie entered his home strung out and armed with a gun. the homeowner was able to slip out of the room and get his own gun from his bedroom. he in fact- tried to subdue the intruder- i'm not sure where he shot first (it's been over ten years and i wasn't there). one shot to the gun hand and one shot to the inner thigh. he had to shoot the second time because the intruder tried to pick up his gun again.
    the strung out, bloody intruder then ran out of my friend's house and down the street where he found a cop. even with the witnesses/victims all giving eyewitness accounts. my friend was still arrested and booked into jail where he sat for three weeks because he didn't have the money to bond out.
    yes, after a lengthy court case and legal fees, eventually all charges were dropped.
    the cop at the scene, who i ended up being good friends with years later, told everyone who was there, as they led my friend out in handcuffs, if this situation was ever to happen again to any of them, kill, kill, kill.

our laws are set up to protect the guilty, not protect the innocent.

21. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

If it were me, I wouldn't be concerned with stopping//maiming/killing, It's do what was necessary to protect myself, and others. In the heat of the moment, if said intruder was killed, sure, I'd feel bad afterward, but I'd pull no punches if I though my own life was endangered.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

23. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

+1 and a huge win for home security

24. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I just about died in laughter... :D

25. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I completely agree with you. In some states you can use deadly force for any intrusion and other states you have to know your life is in danger to use deadly force or face possible jail time. The latter is totally messed up.

I have yet to hear a logical argument supporting limited victim's rights. Why should a home owner be saddled with the liability to make that decision when he is defending himself as well as a spouse and children? IMO an intruder forfeits his right to live when entering a house to commit a crime. There is no reason why a home owner (victim) should be charged with any crime.

As far as the samurai sword is concerned, I believe bleeding to death is a calmer, more humane way to go than being bludgeoned with a mace. Yes, the victim was being humane when he defended himself.
    :D