Horrible Sprint service exceeded by even worse customer service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greg M, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Greg M macrumors 6502

I activated 4 iPhones with Sprint and then switched to AT&T 4 days later. Sprint's voice service was unreliable and there data service was almost nonexistent. I had decided to switch over the weekend but it took a day or so to be able to find iPhones in order to port our numbers (numbers that we've had for 10 years).

Got the Sprint bill today and they want $324 for 4 days of service! They claim I get charged for a whole month because I ported my numbers out but that's bull since I had ported my numbers to them to begin with. They weren't their numbers.

After talking to them for over 30 minutes they eventually dropped the bill to $119. I told them that wasn't acceptable and that I was only willing to pay for 4 days of service. I'm not going to pay any activation fees since they didn't provide reliable phone service. They show that they have full signal in the Gastonia area but reality shows that they don't. Broken calls and dropped calls.

Spoke to a supervisor for about 15 seconds. All she said was, "We're not going to give any more credits on this account." and then hung up.

Never again will I even consider Sprint. Sprint has poor service in many areas, at least from the comments I've read here. Beware that they'll stick it to you if you find their service unacceptable and decide to leave.

Yes I'm upset with them but with good reason. They didn't follow through on their end of the contract and provide reliable phone service but they expect me to pay as if they did? I'm not even talking about the horrible data service.

Oh how I wish that T-Mobile had the iPhone. I hated leaving them. Great service and customer care.

Hopefully this might save someone from making the same Sprint mistake that I made.

2. Gandalf! macrumors member

Don't most phone companies allow a free 30 day trial? I hope you get this resolved.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Uhh, that's exactly what the OP did.

But yeah, that's Sprint for you. They were this way when I left Sprint in 2006, and they haven't changed since. The lack of having an iPhone was a nice scapegoat for why all their customers were leaving, but now they have no excuse to fall back on.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Free? No.

AT&T allows returns within 30 days ($35 restocking fee) and you will not pay early termination fee, but you will pay for that month. Verizon and Sprint are both 14 days, but otherwise similar. Sprint will waive activation fees if the return is made within 3 days, according to their policy.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?textName=RETURN_POLICY&jspName=footer/returnPolicy.jsp

http://www.sprint.com/landings/returns/

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you should read the thread :rolleyes:

I dislike Sprint's business tactics. I left them in 2004 since they had poor service and were messing up my bill. Switched to Cingular (AT&T) and I still haven't looked back.

7. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

exactly the same reasons we left sprint 2 days ago for never going back

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sprint is well known for their "excellent":rolleyes: customer service and for them always billing you for extra things and adding nonsense charges to your bill. Then having to fight with them every month to get your bill straight.
    Pretty shady company IMO.

9. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

i've had two companies since owning a cell phone - sprint & att.

i went to att due to the iphone, and despite all the complaints i've heard about their coverage area, customer service, etc., i've had nothing but good things to say about every facet of their business. sprint, on the other hand, f'n sucked

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

AT&T ftw

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

One of the reasons the first Sprint bill is so high is because they prorate the bill for the time of the billing cycle that you've had the phones, plus charge the first month.

That coupled with the activation fees can make it quite high.

They also only have a 14 day return window, now.

The reason the dropped some charges, but not more, is because under their new policy, you are still expected to pay for the time you actually had and used the phones. This is in the contract agreement.

12. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I do understand your frustration, I am with Sprint now. But you signed up for the service, you should have read the terms before you signed your name on the agreement.

You basically agreed to the terms but then after you realize you don't like the service you want to disregard the terms you signed up for. I hope you get it situated but really this time it's not Sprint's fault.

13. lam93 macrumors member

everyones who was on sprints bandwagon because of the unlimited plan, let me put it to you this way: you get what u pay for

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not always. Sprint would actually be more expensive than AT&T for me.

15. Greg M thread starter macrumors 6502

Sprint misrepresented their service. They're the ones that broke the contract by not providing usable phone service. I'm not even talking about the near nonexistent data service! They represent the Gastonia area as having a very strong signal. Both my wife and I had trouble placing and receiving calls as well as dropped calls in many areas where the phone indicated it was receiving a good signal.

I don't live in Gastonia but spend a lot of time there. At home I have a signal booster that gives me a very strong signal for any carrier depending on which direction I point the antenna on the roof. It works great. With T-Mobile and AT&T I'd drop calls all the time until I installed this system. After installation I never dropped a call. When I got Sprint I turned the antenna towards the closest Sprint tower and that produced a very good signal. Even with the good signal I had nothing but problems with almost every call.

Even with their terrible data service I'd have stayed with them had their phone service been close to what they represented it as being. I use my phone for work and require the service to be reliable. This is 2011 not 1991 and my service area is part of a major metro area. There is NO reason for such poor service.

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

Yes, pay for what you used. I.e., usage charges.
    $119 is not 4 days use (even with 4 phones).

If you return in the return window...you dont pay activation, etc.

There may be a restock fee but that needs to be disclosed on the sales receipt (This is not a TOS item).

17. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

That sucks , I have Sprint and have been with them for well over 10 years and have never had any serious issues. I get great service in my area and the areas I travel so i couldn't be happier there. I get double the speed as my fiancé does with her Ip4 with Verizon. I also average about 10-12 gb of data usage a month with tethering and couldn't live without there unlimited plan.