Host from the Young Turks kicked off flight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Apr 9, 2016.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

3. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know. I may not have seen that news article.

4. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

This brought a smile to my face, I hope he goes on the Homeland security no fly list.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Appears like a case of Occupy American Airlines.

Guy must be a riot on the line at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I really don't see an issue, the plane was four hours late departing and took of at 2:40am, that's pretty late. He wasn't that angry (at least as per the video).

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

thats a rational response

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Newsflash: flying sucks and failed MSNBC hosts are desperate for publicity, any publicity.

9. satcomer, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I looked at the videos! He calmly explained in one about how American Airlines never had a plane and the passengers became upset, some more then others! The passengers were bounced from gate to gate (3 gates over a 4 hour time) all night! I would get upset also and I'm a Libertarian!

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Failed? How so? On TYT he comes across with enough personality and tells it the way he sees it.

How is reading the news a success or failure? Ability to mesmerize people and put on a song and dance? Unlike Rather or O'Reilly, he's never actually lied (that has been reported, that I'm aware of)... Deliberate lying is failure - on that I would expect we would agree on to some extent.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2016 ---
    Being Libertarian should have nothing to do with it. It's about customer treatment, which is a bit more universal.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

MSNBC cancelled his show several years ago for poor ratings. A YouTube channel doesn't exactly scream success.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

To you and those why gave you likes, what a petty thought, the mind of vindictive conservatism revealed. :)

He also complemented the gate agent who had dealt with a large number of verbally angery passengers.

I worked as an airline pilot for 30 years and don't ever remembering seeing a crowd as agitated as this. L.A.? ;) The worst thing an airline or any customer service company can do is raise expectations though unrealistic announcements. It's better to lower them, than and be honest with the customers. It does not take an airplane 4 hrs to come from the hanger unless it's broken. Then maintenance advisories should have been given. Better to tell it like it is.

Although it's the Captain's right to refuse passage based on his judgement, I believe the Captain's political judgement failed him in this case, based on what I saw in the video. I saw no indication that Uygur would be a disruptive threat onboard. And instead of focusing on AA's handing of the situation, we have the usual MRs crowd sniggering at what happens to a liberal TV show host.

13. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

It is likely he is making more money with his YT channel than he was ever making at MSNBC considering he gets millions of views a day.

They also have a deal in place that got their channel on Hulu and Roku.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yea but an Airline looking not to bring in a plane even though they sold tickets for a plane! There was no weather or mechanical problems because American Airlines didn't have a plane for the sold flight! That is problem and as a consumer I would be upset too if they did that to a flight I was scheduled on!

I didn't complain about pilots because I think they are constantly abused by Airlines! I blame the Corporate pencil pushers that for to have a plane ready for a flight they sold tickets and didn't have the plane to ready to be there at all!

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

His political judgment? How did you come to this conclusion or are you just making it up, the mind of a dishonest regressive revealed.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why if this guy was reasonable was he kicked off?

17. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Because he is swearing and yelling at AA employees, it's all on video. AA shafted these passengers and they should get a refund or something, but that does not give Cenk the right to verbally abuse people. These people are just doing their job, if you don't like how they are doing it, make a complaint.

18. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

But when a white man with a gun is doing it he's just defending his civil liberties

19. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Identity politics at its best. If this was a white man with a gun, I guarantee 100% that he would be in jail.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As I've said, honesty is the best policy. For any airline, if you look at it's system, a plane breaks somewhere, and they make a decision on which flight to cancel, possibly not even related to the flight that the plane was originally going to operate on. I can almost guarantee that if there is a full flight and an empty flight and a plane breaks, the full flight will be operated as to inconvenience the smallest number of passengers.

I saw him yelling at one point, asking where is the plane, after being given a story about the plane coming from the hanger for 4 hrs, but not swearing at employees. Maybe I missed that. He seemed under control, he seemed not to be a disruptive threat. I think they knew who he was and the Captain said F him. I've had people on my flights where I've been warned they might be a problem. In one case, I talked to the person, he was calm, and he came on the flight, no problem. If the Captain was concerned, and had bothered to talk to him, my guess everything would have been just fine. Instead, my impression was, I'll show him. Not good for customer service flexing authority in this manner- my opinion.

Besides once the plane was there and they were boarding, he seemed very calm, especially after they told him he was denied boarding because the captain was uncomfortable. I'd ask, based on what? In that video, if yelling is the criteria to be denied boarding, it looked like there were several there who were upset.

21. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Watch the video, he is swearing and yelling at employees. If a member of my flight crew or other staff informs me that they have been sworn at, or made uncomfortable by a passenger, they get ejected no questions asked. I have refused boarding of passengers for much less than this and would make the same decision as this Captain if I'm informed by staff of the passengers behaviour. If there was any sort of incident onboard with a problem passenger and the airlines finds out that there was a problem before boarding, the Captain will get in trouble.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The girl (airline representative) who talked to him, did not seem afraid... :) When passengers are in the gate area, it's the gate agent's ball of wax. They can and should be the ones to remove the passenger from a flight. If there is an indication that there will be continued verbal hostility upon boarding the plane, sure the Captain can make the call. It just sounds like someone was being taught a lesson-> Fly Delta! lol. :)

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you're going to exclude half the plane?

24. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Nope, I just exclude the *******s. I have flown thousands of people and have only excluded a handful mostly people who are drunk and people who are verbally abusive. I once removed a passenger who told me they were not comfortable with a a female F/O, he got the boot off the airplane. It has nothing to do with politics(even though i'm sure he was rightwing), if you are an ass, you take the next flight. From the entire 30 min video I watched of Cenk, I would consider him behaving like an ass.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I've got nothing against Delta, but, in the past (I haven't flown Delta lately), their planes seemed pretty old and outdated -- like American and Virgin America. I tend to like newer planes, which Alaska, Frontier, Southwest, and United seem to mostly fly. 767, 777, newer 737 models. I know United always gets dinged on ontime performance through O'Hare, but, in my experience, no worse than American through Dallas. YMMV.