Hot Dogs, under consideration to be "redesigned"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, May 17, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/opinion/editorials/article/ED-FEAR09_20100507-194005/342939/

http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02/24/redesign-the-hot-dog.htm

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/peds.2009-2862v1.pdf

How do you redesign a hot dog and still be a hot dog? Children under 10 eat over TWO BILLION hot dogs a year. Can't wait for the class action suits. What it comes down to is that almost any solid product can be a choking hazard if not consumed correctly. I am really not sure how you change a hot dog? Consistency? pre cut?

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hot dogs too now, huh?

*facepalm* There are any number of things that can be choked on that are in no need of a redesign. Lets be frank here (har), there is no way to protect every single human life and constantly trying just makes life for the people outside of the .0000008049382957%* increasingly annoying.

Why are so many people so afraid of the minuscule chance of something going wrong? Really quite tired of The Fear Society.

*random number is random but I stand by the point it makes, as it were.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

[​IMG]

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Worth reading the paper. As per usual it's not nearly as bad as the OP's linked blogs or sensationalist editorials imply. In fact it's rather interesting and not a bad paper from a public health perspective. The "redesign" part does not single out hot dogs and is only one part of 6 broad recommendations that the paper makes to reduce choking deaths in kids.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.

Yeah you're right, had a scan through it, and it is a lot more comprehensive in actuality - hot dogs are only a focus in one food related section.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This thread is making me want a veggie corn dog.

In the balance, it seems there are a lot of hot dog related asphyxiations, but not a lot of deaths. I would think educating parents to be sensible in terms of monitoring their children and supervising eating at ages where choking is likely is going to be important. I'm not so sure about what a redesigned hot dog would look like, although it could clearly use multi-tasking and some additional social networking features.

The overall AAP recommendations don't seem overly unreasonable. If many hot dogs are already sold with warning labels, then standardizing the warning content may not be a bad idea.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's a good sensationalist story though that most people won't click through to read the actual report. Should entice many, many indignant page hits for advertising $$$$$$.

Notice that this isn't referenced whatsoever. I'd wager this is editorial license.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perhaps these funds would have been better spent educating parents on nutrition.

What next? Redesign blow jobs to minmize choking hazards? :eek:

11. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If someone is suggesting a way to make those even better, are you really complaining about it? :D America needs to be a country with more oral sex and less hot dogs! :eek:

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hot dogs are yummy, especially here in Chicago!

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Parents should teach their kids to chew their food properly and monitor them while doing so. At any rate, they would save more lives by redesigning the internals of a hot dog than the externals.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I would so vote for you for pubic office. ;)

16. Queso macrumors G4

Is this a Christian Right plot? Perhaps they think they're sending the wrong message by teaching their kids to enjoy sticking a long thin piece of meat into their mouths? :p

Although saying that, I'm rather suspicious. This report wasn't funded by the Hamburger Manufacturers of America by any chance?

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

how do you redesign a sausage ? .. after all the shape is pretty much given because of biology .. or should other intestines be used from other animals than Cattle, pigs and sheep ?
    or even artificial ones ?

interesting side fact: biggest exporter of sheep intestines used for sausage production: Iran

how does your american hot dog taste now ? ;)

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is one of the things that makes me happy about the new London Bus design. The return of the open platform at the rear. I'm amazed it gets past modern health and safety but who cares. Once again you will be able to jump on or off a moving bus. Want to get off the bus were there is no stop? Just jump! (I have done this and almost got hurt but it was my choice)

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Yeah really! Did you know Morning Star stopped making theirs!?

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Say it ain't so! I love those things! :(

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

When left wanting for innovation, always look to Scotland :D

[​IMG]

22. Queso macrumors G4

Specially shaped to suit a deep fat fryer?

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

The thought of that thing in a df fryer makes my stomach turn :mad:

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk