Hot Dogs, under consideration to be "redesigned"?

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/opinion/editorials/article/ED-FEAR09_20100507-194005/342939/

At the instigation of the American Academy of Pediatrics, federal bureaucrats at the FDA, the Department of Agriculture, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission are studying whether to require the nation's hot-dog makers to redesign hot dogs to reduce the likelihood of choking. Choking is a serious hazard -- about 15,000 children receive medical attention each year because of it. But children choke on a wide range of items, from candy and gum to balloons and small change. In 2006, only 61 choking deaths were food-related, and hot dogs accounted for only 13 of those.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02/24/redesign-the-hot-dog.htm

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/peds.2009-2862v1.pdf

In its report Prevention of Choking Among Children, The American Academy of Pediatrics identified hot dogs as "the food most commonly associated with fatal choking among children." Other common foods identified as posing a high choking risk included hard candy, peanuts/nuts, seeds, whole grapes, raw carrots, apples, popcorn, chunks of peanut butter, marshmallows, chewing gum, and sausages.
How do you redesign a hot dog and still be a hot dog? Children under 10 eat over TWO BILLION hot dogs a year. Can't wait for the class action suits. What it comes down to is that almost any solid product can be a choking hazard if not consumed correctly. I am really not sure how you change a hot dog? Consistency? pre cut?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Hot dogs too now, huh?

*facepalm* There are any number of things that can be choked on that are in no need of a redesign. Lets be frank here (har), there is no way to protect every single human life and constantly trying just makes life for the people outside of the .0000008049382957%* increasingly annoying.

Why are so many people so afraid of the minuscule chance of something going wrong? Really quite tired of The Fear Society.

*random number is random but I stand by the point it makes, as it were.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
PHDs being put to good use :rolleyes:
Worth reading the paper. As per usual it's not nearly as bad as the OP's linked blogs or sensationalist editorials imply. In fact it's rather interesting and not a bad paper from a public health perspective. The "redesign" part does not single out hot dogs and is only one part of 6 broad recommendations that the paper makes to reduce choking deaths in kids.

Journal Article said:
1. The FDA should establish a systematic, institutionalized process for examining and addressing the hazards of food-related choking, which should include the establishment of the necessary surveillance, hazard-evaluation, enforcement, and public-education activities to prevent food-related choking among children.

2. Pediatricians, dentists, and other infant and child health care professionals should intensify choking-prevention counseling as an integral part of anticipatory guidance activities.

3. Pediatricians should continue to provide parents and caregivers guidance on appropriate food and toy selection with respect to choking prevention as outlined by the AAP.31–35

4. Food manufacturers should design new foods and redesign existing foods, including meat products, to avoid shapes, sizes, textures, and other characteristics that increase choking risk to children, to the extent possible.12

5. The CPSC should increase efforts to ensure that toys that are sold in retail store bins, in vending machines, or online have appropriate choking- hazard warnings; work with manufacturers to improve the effectiveness of recalls of products that pose a choking risk to children; and increase efforts to prevent the resale of these recalled products on online auction sites. Current gaps in choking-prevention standards for children’s toys should be reevaluated and addressed via revisions to the standards established under the CSPA or the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act or via regulation by the CPSC.

6. Because it is impossible to prevent all choking episodes among children, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and choking first aid for children should be taught to parents, teachers, child care providers, and others who care for children, particularly children at high risk of choking.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Worth reading the paper. As per usual it's not nearly as bad as the OP's linked blogs or sensationalist editorials imply. In fact it's rather interesting and not a bad paper from a public health perspective. The "redesign" part does not single out hot dogs and is only one part of 6 broad recommendations that the paper makes to reduce choking deaths in kids.

Yeah you're right, had a scan through it, and it is a lot more comprehensive in actuality - hot dogs are only a focus in one food related section.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This thread is making me want a veggie corn dog.

In the balance, it seems there are a lot of hot dog related asphyxiations, but not a lot of deaths. I would think educating parents to be sensible in terms of monitoring their children and supervising eating at ages where choking is likely is going to be important. I'm not so sure about what a redesigned hot dog would look like, although it could clearly use multi-tasking and some additional social networking features.

The overall AAP recommendations don't seem overly unreasonable. If many hot dogs are already sold with warning labels, then standardizing the warning content may not be a bad idea.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Yeah you're right, had a scan through it, and it is a lot more comprehensive in actuality - hot dogs are only a focus in one food related section.
It's a good sensationalist story though that most people won't click through to read the actual report. Should entice many, many indignant page hits for advertising $$$$$$.

Timesdispatch said:
At the instigation of the American Academy of Pediatrics, federal bureaucrats at the FDA, the Department of Agriculture, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission are studying whether to require the nation's hot-dog makers to redesign hot dogs to reduce the likelihood of choking.
Notice that this isn't referenced whatsoever. I'd wager this is editorial license.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Perhaps these funds would have been better spent educating parents on nutrition.

What next? Redesign blow jobs to minmize choking hazards? :eek:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Is this a Christian Right plot? Perhaps they think they're sending the wrong message by teaching their kids to enjoy sticking a long thin piece of meat into their mouths? :p

Although saying that, I'm rather suspicious. This report wasn't funded by the Hamburger Manufacturers of America by any chance?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
how do you redesign a sausage ? .. after all the shape is pretty much given because of biology .. or should other intestines be used from other animals than Cattle, pigs and sheep ?
or even artificial ones ?

interesting side fact: biggest exporter of sheep intestines used for sausage production: Iran

how does your american hot dog taste now ? ;)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
London
Why are so many people so afraid of the minuscule chance of something going wrong? Really quite tired of The Fear Society.
This is one of the things that makes me happy about the new London Bus design. The return of the open platform at the rear. I'm amazed it gets past modern health and safety but who cares. Once again you will be able to jump on or off a moving bus. Want to get off the bus were there is no stop? Just jump! (I have done this and almost got hurt but it was my choice)