Hotmail Upgraded!!

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
I come in form class today and like usual I checked my hotmail accoutn for new messages. To my surprise I now have a 250 MB inbox instead of 2.5 mb

Hotmail now includes a 250 mb inbox, ability to transfer attachments up to 10mb, MSN Calender, and message blocker.

Here is the link of new features

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
looks like gmail had an effect on yahoo and hotmail :)

competition pays off once again

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Hate to be a party pooper but this is pretty old news, just took Hotmail a long time to upgrade some accounts. My account was upgraded a couple of months ago now.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
TDM21 said:
I come in form class today and like usual I checked my hotmail accoutn for new messages. To my surprise I now have a 250 MB inbox instead of 2.5 mb

Hotmail now includes a 250 mb inbox, ability to transfer attachments up to 10mb, MSN Calender, and message blocker.

Here is the link of new features
of coure they eliminated acess through entourage unless you have a paid account, whcih eliminates the one feature I actually cared about and was the entire reason Iw as using hotmail in the first place. Sigh.

My account still hasn't been upgraded to 250 megabyte though.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, so straw poll straw poll...has anyone been blocked consistently from using httpmail and mail.app to access their hotmail account? Mine still works.

And btw I have the other upgrades -- the mail blocker and so on....

But my hotmail account is from erm...hotmail Japan...because I got it for pen-palling. :cool:

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
strider42 said:
of coure they eliminated acess through entourage unless you have a paid account, whcih eliminates the one feature I actually cared about and was the entire reason Iw as using hotmail in the first place. Sigh.

My account still hasn't been upgraded to 250 megabyte though.
I keep hearing this, but my (free) account still works, and it's been upgraded for a couple of weeks now.

Is anyone actually unable to access their upgraded hotmail accounts through Entourage?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
telecomm said:
I keep hearing this, but my (free) account still works, and it's been upgraded for a couple of weeks now.

Is anyone actually unable to access their upgraded hotmail accounts through Entourage?
Mine stopped working the day I heard it. I assumed it was effective immediately. If its still working for you, maybe I'll go back and try it again and see if it works now. Maybe they were just having glitches the times I tried it and couldn't get through (wouldn't be the first time)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
strider42 said:
Mine stopped working the day I heard it. I assumed it was effective immediately. If its still working for you, maybe I'll go back and try it again and see if it works now. Maybe they were just having glitches the times I tried it and couldn't get through (wouldn't be the first time)
Go back to the httpmail site and try getting the latest version. I think around that time I had to upgrade to get it to work again.

It has some other juicy upgrades too. :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/httpmail-plugin

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
rickvanr said:
do you have to do anything to upgrade an old account, I'm still seeing 2 mb
Nothing but wait, apparently they're doing it from earliest accounts created to latest.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Mine still has only 2MB. What does it take for one's accont to be upgraded?

I don't use the account that much anyway... :rolleyes:

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
jalagl said:
Mine still has only 2MB. What does it take for one's accont to be upgraded?

I don't use the account that much anyway... :rolleyes:
Mine is only 2MB as well :( I've had that account for years. I wonder how they decide whoes accounts get upgraded earlier.

Wonder if I should just sign up on a new account. Hmnf.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
runplaysleeprun said:
I feel that pain.

I've had my account for 6 years, and it was upgraded yesterday.
That's how long I've had mine ('98) and it was upgraded recently. So to all of those waiting, they've made it up to the year 1998 with their account updates.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
All the accounts are hosted on different servers. They basically upgrade each server individually (or a group of so many at once). Because of previous upgrades, there is really no rhyme or reason to the patterns.

BEN

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i dont think it is done on date signed up basis as mine hasnt been done (early 2001) and i know someone who started theirs after mine has been upgraded for ages!

i just want it upgraded even though i never use it!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
weirdest thing. Right after reading this thread here at work, I go home yesterday, and they've upgraded my account finally. Still can't access through entourage, but the account is fully upgraded now.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
mc68k said:
looks like gmail had an effect on yahoo and hotmail :)

competition pays off once again
netscape mail was also upped to 250mb. Market research must have shown that if your service is 1/4 as good as the competition, people won't bother switching.