Hotspot on iP5 - Connecting to iPad BT vs WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmichalec, Jan 14, 2013.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I just changed my AT&T plan to support Tethering on my iPhone 5. I am attempting to connect my 3rd Gen iPad using Personal Hotspot, but I seem to be experiencing the following. Just wondering if this is normal, or if there is something I'm doing wrong?

When I connect my iPad via WiFi to the Hotspot on the iP5, I get around 14.0-18.0 Mbps dl and around 3.0 Mbps ul when running speed tests.

However, when connecting using Bluetooth, I'm getting 0.50-1.0 Mbps dl and 0.35-0.65 Mbps ul.

I understand that Tethering via Bluetooth is supposed to be slower than WiFi, but these BT numbers seem ridiculously low to me. The devices are literally sitting less than a foot apart on my desk at work, and are not being moved between BT tests and WiFi tests. I understand that environment factors could make a difference, but in looking at the other possible BT connections available (2 others around me) and possible WiFi connections available (5 others around me), I don't see what could be causing the slowdown.

Has anyone else experienced this? I would be surprised if it mattered, but my iPad is running iOS 6.0.1 and the iPhone 5 is running 6.0.2.

Any thoughts?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

3. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not just assuming. The articles I was reading before posting (for example, Here) seemed to reference speeds around 1.5-3.0 Mpbs down is normal. I'm getting on average 0.50 Mbps dl, with only one time reaching the 1.0 mark. I was just thinking that 1/4 to 1/6 of the theoretical upper limit is rather low. Maybe the term "ridiculously low" may have been a little exaggerated, but was hoping to get at least 1.0-1.5 on average. That I could deal with, but 0.5 is kind of painful.

Also, Bluetooth v3.0 + HS is rated for 24 Mbit/s, so wouldn't 0.5 Mpbs seem rather low to you in comparison?