Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Has anyone hot swapped their MBP battery?

Well my second battery came into and i hot swapped my battery.
I took out the dead battery while in sleep mode. The sleep mode went out and i quickly put in the fully charged battery in.

Once the new battery was in, i tapped on the keyboard and it came back up.
The screen came back up in a dimmed out grey screen with a progress bar on the bottom showing you that it was coming up.

So then it loads up.. and it shows the indicator.. BUT everything is very slow.
I'm getting beachballs...

So simple.. I restart the system..
I'm at the startup (Grey screen, apple logo, spinning circle), and it stays there.

I reset PRAM.. and still nothing.

Boot from CD that came with the system.. I go into Utility Disk..
And it sees the drive after a while..

I try to repair the disk, UNREPAIRABLE.
I try to repair permissions, no luck.

I'm bringing it in for service.. anyone experience anything similar?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
The progress indicator you saw means it was coming back from Safe Sleep, the equivalent of Windows' Hibernate.

As for the weirdness, I have no idea.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
tried to reset the power management unit?

when you hot swapping the battery,
1. was your adapter connected?
2. was your first battery completely drained, or just low and you manually put it in sleeping mode?

~L~

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
sorry if this sounds a little naive or whatnot, but why did you just not switch it off and then swap the battery? :confused:

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
~L~ said:
sorry if this sounds a little naive or whatnot, but why did you just not switch it off and then swap the battery? :confused:

Cause i've done hot swapping on my Powerbook before...
I don't see why not that it can't be done.

The grey screen came up showing the it was bringing everything back up.

bearbo said:
tried to reset the power management unit?

when you hot swapping the battery,
1. was your adapter connected?
2. was your first battery completely drained, or just low and you manually put it in sleeping mode?

Reset PRAM already.
The computer was unplugged at the time when i started it back up.
The first battery was completely drained. Drained to the point where it would send it to sleep.

The tech said we're looking at a possible hard drive failure.. so its not related to the hot swapping.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I've hot swapped a battery on my MBP and it worked like a charm. Went into and came out of Safe Sleep with no problem.

You may well have a hardware issue with your hard drive, but how much free space have you got on it? I ask as Safe Sleep creates an image file that's bigger than the amount of RAM you have (i.e. 2GB + 750MB I think). If you're low on free space it may have caused your issue, but it's unlikely.

You could try deleting the Safe Sleep image file, which can get corrupted. It's at /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Last thing I'd try is resetting the PMU.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Works for me.

I've swapped the battery while in unplugged sleep dozens of times. (I often need more than 4 hours of battery during the day, so there are times when I will swap the battery every day this way.)

Fedge

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
I hot swap my PBG4's batteries all the time. I do it almost every day. I've never had a problem. I've always done it quickly so that the computer doesn't have to rely on what little charge it's getting residually or from a backup battery of some kind. And there is a KB article on hot-swapping batteries. I'll try to find it.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
drlunanerd said:
I've hot swapped a battery on my MBP and it worked like a charm. Went into and came out of Safe Sleep with no problem.

You may well have a hardware issue with your hard drive, but how much free space have you got on it? I ask as Safe Sleep creates an image file that's bigger than the amount of RAM you have (i.e. 2GB + 750MB I think). If you're low on free space it may have caused your issue, but it's unlikely.

You could try deleting the Safe Sleep image file, which can get corrupted. It's at /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Last thing I'd try is resetting the PMU.

I've reset the PMU already..
Still didn't help.

As for the free space.. I had about 10GB free on my HD.
I was running 2GB of ram in there.. and had over a gig free at the time..

Its in the shop now.. hopefully i'll get it back by the end of the week..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.